Baby Showers
Options

Signed and Dated Books in Lieu of Cards

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but for my SIL's baby shower I was in charge of invitations (www.tinyprints.com) and on it I said something like, "In lieu of baby shower greeting cards, please bring a signed & dated children's book to help start baby Ava's collection." My SIL got a ton of new books, all different shapes and sizes and even different age books, and everyone thought it was such a nice idea.

Now, my MIL was not a fan of the idea because books can be pricey, but one can find a wide variety of books at Marshall's, TJ Maxx, etc for reasonable cost.  You'd pay $3-5 for a greeting card anyhow, so this is just a good substitute.  I got her 2 $4 books, as did many other people.

Just an idea! 

Re: Signed and Dated Books in Lieu of Cards

• Options
    There are a bunch of threads on this topic.  Your MIL may also not have liked the idea because you are dictating to people to bring an additional gift. Some people think it is gift grabby and/or just plain old asking too much. 
  • Options
    Sorry, I think asking for specifics like this is tacky, just like diaper raffles. I don't have a problem with book showers or diaper showers, but asking people to bring something potentially very pricey in leiu of something they can get for $1 or less is not cool. And the potential for repeat books (signed, nonreturnable!) is not something I want to have to deal with.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of this idea. I think it's very rude to ask people to bring a certain gift on top of the gift they are already bringing. I feel the same way about diaper raffles. 

I actually had a ton of anxiety about my hostess adding something about bringing a book to the invite.

I'm glad that it worked out for your SIL though, and it doesn't seem like she or most of the guests minded.  

• Options
    imagektwilley:

or most of the guests minded.  

That's the thing.  People who advocate for these sorts of things have no idea what their guests really think.  For a baby shower earlier this year the invite had the card thing.  While we are generally polite people and would never say anything to the host or guest of honor, you bet your behind that several of the family members complained together about it.

People talk. 

Also, it is a pain.  I'm sure as hell not buying a book at wherever you're registered because it's overpriced. So that's more effort and additional stops I have to make to try to find a cheap book that doesn't look cheap ;)  And with a LO in tow, the less stops when out running errands the better. 

• Options
    imagedanilynn17:
    imagektwilley:

or most of the guests minded.  

That's the thing. People who advocate for these sorts of things have no idea what their guests really think.  

This.  The statement "no one minded" or "no one said anything to me" always make me laugh. Polite people aren't going to say anything, even if they have a problem.  I see this in relation to weddings all the time! 

I would never, ever say to a bride "Oh, I really didn't like X about your wedding".  same w/ baby showers.  As a polite person, I'm going to smile and nod and roll w/ it.  But it doesn't mean that behind the scenes, I'm rolling my eyes about issue X. 

As for the book thing - while I'm not a fan of requesting additional gifts, at the same time, the guests can opt not to do it.  I recently went to a baby shower that did just this and I did just that- nothing.  I didn't get a book.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

I love the idea of a book shower, but I don't think I would pay a bit of attention to being asked to bring a box instead of a card. I just wouldn't bring either. I don't do greeting cards on gifts, they're a waste of money. I just use my calling card usually. 

ETA~ Book, not box. Duh! 

• Options

I guess everyone here who thinks it's rude to request books instead of cards also decided against registries totally fine by the way.  I'm only saying that if you think books are a bad idea it's a bit hypocritical to then make lists at a specific store for things you need/want for your baby. 

I loved the books I received at my showers and my daughter loves them more than most of her toys!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    imageKdonn15:

I guess everyone here who thinks it's rude to request books instead of cards also decided against registries totally fine by the way.  I'm only saying that if you think books are a bad idea it's a bit hypocritical to then make lists at a specific store for things you need/want for your baby. 

Here is the difference... people are always going to ask you, your family or the hostess what you need for the baby. Thus, a registry comes in handy, and no one is pressured to buy anything specific or anything off the registry for that matter. It's a wish list! No one is ever going to say "what is your library lacking?" or "what can I bring instead of a greeting card?". The books I loved as a kid that are still popular or popular again are $10-15 a pop... Dr Seuss and the like. Add that to the $30-50 I usually spend on a gift? NO! And I'm not going to make a trip to the dollar store to buy a cheapo book because someone thinks I need to bring a specific item.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I guess if it upsets you that much, then stay home. I have found disney baby, winnnie the pooh and sesame street books in my local dollar stores,. They don't "look" cheapo. This whole thread is being blown out of proportion.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I never reply to anything on here, but I just had  to reply to this. I LOVE THE IDEA OF BOOKS INSTEAD OF CARDS. My honest opinion about asking people their opinion or even suggesting anything that you felt was a great success is a waist of time. These people do not have perfect lives so they are willing to throw anything "they think is not up to their standing," which by the way are really low, down the drain. Two words "FAKE PEOPLE," you are smilling in peoples face and rolling your eyes behing their back, STAY @ HOME!!!  

• Options

Hmm, you are dictating strangers' attendance at showers for other strangers because someone posted in a public board that serves as a venue for people to state their opinions? Nice. It doesn't upset me, but it is still tacky. I don't live in a dollar store area, and I don't want to drive 20 miles to pay a dollar for a book any more than I want to feel obligated to pay $10 for a book at a store I can easily reach. If you want to have kids, great- just don't ask your shower guests to diaper them or build them a library.

• Options
    imagestjuliens:

I never reply to anything on here, but I just had  to reply to this. I LOVE THE IDEA OF BOOKS INSTEAD OF CARDS. My honest opinion about asking people their opinion or even suggesting anything that you felt was a great success is a waist of time. These people do not have perfect lives so they are willing to throw anything "they think is not up to their standing," which by the way are really low, down the drain. Two words "FAKE PEOPLE," you are smilling in peoples face and rolling your eyes behing their back, STAY @ HOME!!!  

Lol, have the guts to post under your real name then maybe we'll take you seriously.  And maybe go back to English 101.

• Options
    imagedanilynn17:
    imagestjuliens:

Lol, have the guts to post under your real name then maybe we'll take you seriously.  And maybe go back to English 101.

Seriously. Sounds like a high-class winner to me, assuming everyone else is a lowlife because they state a conflicting opinion.

• Options

I will say to danilynn get a life. U want me to give u my name so you can stalk me, uh crazy lady. U will never have the balls to step to me in person, I PROMISE YOU THAT. Im sure u have more important thing to do then for this great book idea to drive you crazy like this. English 101, childish. There u go judging people again. 

• Options
    imagestjuliens:

I will say to danilynn get a life. U want me to give u my name so you can stalk me, uh crazy lady. U will never have the balls to step to me in person, I PROMISE YOU THAT. Im sure u have more important thing to do then for this great book idea to drive you crazy like this. English 101, childish. There u go judging people again. 

Yes, I judge people who type things like "U" instead of "you" - those two extra letters must be a lot of effort!

And yes, I also judge people who create an alter ego just to say something they don't have the internet guts to say on their real screen name.

How does one "step to" someone?  

• Options
    Seriously, people. With all the babies being born with disabilities or who develop them later in life....is it really a big deal to be asked to bring a book worth a few dollars, to enrich their lives? No one said it had to be from a certain store or off a registry list. If this is the biggest thing you have to *** about in life, consider yourselves lucky.
  • Options

imageCorts:
    Seriously, people. With all the babies being born with disabilities or who develop them later in life....is it really a big deal to be asked to bring a book worth a few dollars, to enrich their lives? No one said it had to be from a certain store or off a registry list. If this is the biggest thing you have to *** about in life, consider yourselves lucky.

WTF do disabilities (at birth or later in life) have to do with books???  Who is saying books are bad? Or that kids shouldn't read?

We are saying demanding an additional gift is rude. 

And, btw, enriching a child's life is the parents' responsibility.  Not the shower attendees.

• Options
  • Options
    imagedanilynn17:

imageCorts:

WTF do disabilities (at birth or later in life) have to do with books???  Who is saying books are bad? Or that kids shouldn't read?

We are saying demanding an additional gift is rude. 

And, btw, enriching a child's life is the parents' responsibility.  Not the shower attendees.

What do books have to do with disabilities? Seriously? How old are you?

@ You must be a miserable person in real life. Go read to your baby and stop spewing hatred on the computer.

• Options
    So was mine. And if I had someone at my shower who bitched about being asked to bring a book worth a few dollars..I would track them down and spit on them.
  • Options
    imageInternetExplorer:

imageCorts:

Wow.  Is this a dig at me? My baby was born with a disability. Fcuk You.  

And I can still manage to not be rude at showers.  Imagine that. 

So was mine. And if I had someone at my shower who bitched about being asked to bring a book worth a few dollars..I would track them down and spit on them.
  • Options
  • Options
    imageInternetExplorer:

That is just seriously crazy talk.  Someone refuses a  gift request and they they are the root cause of a child's learning disability?

You're nutso.  Crazycakes.  Take your meds, loca. 

This.  Cite me a (credible) source that says disabilities (learning or physical) are due to a lack of childhood reading. Perhaps not liking reading or being a little slower to pick up on it might be related, but it's not a cause of a bona fide learning disability. 

• Options
    Did I say that? Obviously, you have a problem reading between the lines. BTW, I did take my PAIN meds for the miscarriage I just had on MONDAY. So..Fcuk you (is *that* clear enough for you, princess?)
  • Options
    imagedanilynn17:
    imageInternetExplorer:

That is just seriously crazy talk.  Someone refuses a  gift request and they they are the root cause of a child's learning disability?

You're nutso.  Crazycakes.  Take your meds, loca. 

This.  Cite me a (credible) source that says disabilities (learning or physical) are due to a lack of childhood reading. Perhaps not liking reading or being a little slower to pick up on it might be related, but it's not a cause of a bona fide learning disability. 

• Options

Sorry about your miscarriage.

The pain meds explain the craziness and the lack of coherence in your posts.

• Options
    I love this idea. I have been to showers where this was suggested, hosted showers suggesting this and and having my own shower requesting books instead of cards. I like buying them and the feedback that I recieved from others regarding this has always been positive. Never once have I ever heard anyone complain or think it is rude.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagedanilynn17:

Funny how someone who fancies themself the "spelling police" can't comprehend common sense written in a sentence. There are GED classes free at the college....look into them for your kid's sake, please.

• Options
    imageCorts:
    imagedanilynn17:

Funny how someone who fancies themself the "spelling police" can't comprehend common sense written in a sentence. There are GED classes free at the college....look into them for your kid's sake, please.

Perhaps you should start to wean yourself off those meds.

And perhaps you should look into that GED thing yourself.  I have enough letters after my name, thanks.

• Options

imageCorts:
    I guess if it upsets you that much, then stay home. I have found disney baby, winnnie the pooh and sesame street books in my local dollar stores,. They don't "look" cheapo. This whole thread is being blown out of proportion.

This is really funny. So clueless.... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

So we went from books for babies to GED's and slamming special-needs kids?  

Wow.  

This is nuts, even for the baby showers board.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

imageCorts:

Wow....klassy.  

• Options
    imageBallSox:

So we went from books for babies to GED's and slamming special-needs kids?  

Wow.  

This is nuts, even for the baby showers board.  

Who is slamming special needs children? Certainly not me. I have one.I am merely making a point that being asked to bring a childrens book to a baby shower (instead of a card) is certainly not something to be offended about, especially since there are so many children with special needs being born these days. Reading is beneficial and inexpensive books are easy to find. There is a difference is being asked to bring a package of diapers to a baby shower, and a childrens book. If someone is going to spend so much time being "highly offended" for politely being asking to donate a book to the baby, then I have to question what sort of person they are. I have been to thse type of showers and am proud to bring a book. Reading is very important and I am a big advocate.

• Options
    imageMs.Jade:

imageCorts:

This is really funny. So clueless.... 

Clueless? Do explain. Are you offended about being asked to bring a book for a baby shower? There are people dying of cancer and this is what people are focusing their energy on?

• Options
    Do you have a special needs child? Probably not, judging from this. Until you have walked a mile in my shoes, kindly MYOB (unless, of course, you are stewing from recently being asked to bring a book to a baby shower).
  • Options

I have zero problem giving kids books, quit putting your whacked out words in my mouth, so to speak. 

My problem, however, is being told that I have to bring a book.  I feel exactly the same way about being told I have to bring diapers.  Matter of fact, I was invited to a very casual acquaintance's shower where there was a "cover charge" of a package of diapers and was so disgusted by it, I didn't go.  

I love nothing more than being generous of my own will, whether it be books, diapers, gift cards, things being bought off the registry (which, in my opinion, is different than being told that I have to bring a book), dinners after the baby is born, whatever.  However, I am an adult and I have a big problem being told what I have to give someone.  

You have some seriously deep-seated book-related issues, methinks, lol.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

If you want to read to your child, buy a fuucking book.

Problem solved.

Although I really did appreciate the laundry list of reasons as to why I should feel badly for thinking people should buy shiit for their own kid. 

Fuuck TTC - I'm moving on.
    imageimageimageimage
    "It's a child, not a cheeto" Thanks mmariluh!
    "Ew. I've read all of two posts from you, and you stink like rotting garbage."
  • Options

My bf did it a few years ago and I LOVED the idea. We did it at mine and we got so many comments from our guests how it was such a good idea. My other bf's baby shower is next weekend and we are doing it for her shower also. I think it all depends on your group of friends. I think it is a great idea. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"