May 2011 Moms
Options

Government shut down...

Supposedly they won't process new social security numbers if the government shuts down.  Does anyone know what we would do to get our babies their SSNs if this happens?  I'm just crossing my fingers that it doesn't shut down at all; seems like a lot of extra hassle in addition to all the other things we will have on our minds to deal with!
Marriage is not just spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash.
Anniversary
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

11/2013- Diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis
07/2014- emergency surgery to remove hemorrhaging cyst first RE missed, removed endo from fallopian tubes, hsg done, d&c performed to remove polyphs in uterus, femvue done, put on dexamethasone and metformin
08/2014- miscarriage, second RE refuses to mark down in charts, switch again
03/2016- IUI #1, waiting for results on April 17

Re: Government shut down...

• Options
    AZ123AZ123 member
    What do you mean if the "government shuts down"?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

uhhh yah, what do you mean by "if the government shut down?"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just read there won't be mail either, so how will I pay bills.....or wait...will I get bills??
  • Options

imageAZ123:

Go to any major new site and you'll see stories about the possible government shut down right on the home page.

OP, I don't know.  Good question.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Government Shut Down: Meaning that Congress does not approve allocations for the federal government to continue operations past April 8 because no one can agree on funding for the rest of the current fiscal year (and they just started the fight for next fiscal year- ha!). This happend in late 1994 for about 4 weeks. 

What happens? Applications and "stuff" do not get processed, so there is a delay (but the delay is not forever- just a couple of weeks). Thus, IF there is a shutdown, there would be a couple weeks delay for applications already submitted by not processed and those submitted during and immediately after the shut down. However, the stalemate will certainly not last forever (forever equal more than 3-4 weeks).

It's not so much a hassel as just an additional waiting game. If you're worried about insurance, the SSA can still verify that your application has been submitted for insurance purposes (since it's automated with that stuff in most cases), but the actual processing will be delayed.

• Options

:headdesk:

The government may possibly "shut down" due to the lack of a budget and funding approval to get us through September. Switch to any major news outlet and you can't miss it.

And to the OP, I've heard there will simply be a delay in processing. No one knows what exactly will happen because the departments aren't required to submit their emergency plans until midnight after a decision is made (or so I've heard.) 

• Options
    This is the first I have heard of such a thing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

yeap its awesome (sarcastic) if the gov "shuts down"....we dont have work, as we are both gov employees.... so thats my main worry.

thx

DS  Desmond Alexander 6.9.11

DD  Vivienne Elena   12.16.13

? EDD 3/29/2018

• Options
    Um seriously do some of you pay zero attention to what is going on in the world?  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I can't believe how many people haven't heard about this!  It's all over our news here in Colorado!  Although, it's best to remember that we have bumpies from other countries as well I'm sure :)

I guess I just kind of got a little stressed because I know normally they do all that through the hospital here.  But if we have to go through all the steps ourselves and run to different places to get it done; I guess it just brought memories back of trying to switch my last name after getting married.  I would assume they would give us instructions at the hospital on how to get it done?

Marriage is not just spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash.
    Anniversary

07/2014- emergency surgery to remove hemorrhaging cyst first RE missed, removed endo from fallopian tubes, hsg done, d&c performed to remove polyphs in uterus, femvue done, put on dexamethasone and metformin
  • Options
    I love how they are going to freeze military pay, but of course it won't effect the people who are actually making the decision. Just remember who fights for your right to sit in that seat. I'd like the big wigs to come to a military installation stateside or abroad, and SEE what they will be doing to military families who already work off of a VERY small income. Thanks!
  • Options

imageiris427:
    Um seriously do some of you pay zero attention to what is going on in the world?  

It's shocking to me, really.

• Options
    imageLisa Frank:

imageiris427:

Especially those of us on bed rest; I mean, there are only so many baby sites and facebooking you can do!  lol!  Eventually I either watch the news on tv or see it on yahoo headlines :)

Anniversary

• Options

imageelisbu:
    I just read there won't be mail either, so how will I pay bills.....or wait...will I get bills??

The article I just read said that mail would continue.

imageimage

• Options
    imageiris427:
    Seriously. I get not knowing details, but to have zero clue what is going on!?! How is thus possible?
    ~Lisa~
    Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    imageLisa Frank:

imageiris427:

You know, how many years have we been posting on TB?  Things like this shouldn't shock us anymore LOL 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageiris427:

imageAZ123:

Go to any major new site and you'll see stories about the possible government shut down right on the home page.

yeah, I took their posts to be more like "what do you mean IF the government shuts down" (as in it is more of a when not an if... but maybe I was reading inflection that wasn't there.....because I would also expect that everyone had heard about this.

• Options
    imageiris427:
    imageLisa Frank:

imageiris427:

You know, how many years have we been posting on TB?  Things like this shouldn't shock us anymore LOL 

Meh.... I only read financial news.  I hate the news, I hate anything having to do with politics.  Most news is full of political hot air.   I knew about the government shut down because big news finds its way to financial news, although only in the "how will this affect the market" sense.  I find the news depressing, stressful and frustrating, especially because quite honestly you can't really do much about it.

I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but that's fine.  Im not a head in the sand idiot, I am a well read and articulate human being.  I just couldn't care less about the news on a day to day basis.

• Options
    imageLisa Frank:

:headdesk:

Lol!  This is the first thing I thought too.

• Options
    MrsDLMrsDL member
    imageCADE387:
    imageiris427:

imageAZ123:

yeah, I took their posts to be more like "what do you mean IF the government shuts down" (as in it is more of a when not an if... but maybe I was reading inflection that wasn't there.....because I would also expect that everyone had heard about this.

That's how I took it - to be sarcastic on the IF because it is going to shut down. They have to post new legislation for 72 hours prior to passing so we're past that window.

It won't shutdown for very long - this is a short-term dog and pony show so people can flex their political muscles (on both sides). From what I've read:

1. SS checks will go out 2. Military won't be impacted (including their pay) 3. The post office will continue to operate  4. Air traffic control will not be impacted

Of interest - you won't get your tax refund if you've waited to file and are not doing it electronically but you still have to pay your taxes on-time (big surprise there). Also of interest - government employees won't be paid on the regular schedule but will be paid retroactively per law once the government is back up and running. So, essentially it is an inconvenience for government workers who don't have savings to get by a few days but they pretty much get a free paid vacation because they will be paid for the time the government is shut-down. I find this ludicrious considering the reason the government will likely shut-down in the first place ----> budget issues. Let's cut the deficit by giving employees more paid time off - makes no sense.

• Options

imageiris427:

ummm yeah. wow. watch the news/read the news/listen.  This may be why we have some stupid people in offices around the country.....

"Non-essential" programs will be shut down - the mail will still run, and I'm sure the IRS won't quit (ha!).  But you're right SSN office will be closed for processing.  

• Options

I go to my local news site several times daily but this is the first I heard. Now I do live by New Orleans so this may be why it wasn't online where I go....

I check CNN.com a few times a week. 

• Options

I only heard of this from my mom over facebook because I don't have TV. So for those saying "how do we not know what's going on in the world".... some of us don't spend time watching TV. I don't know about other people but I that's the boat I'm in.

• Options
    imageheysupnatalie:

I only heard of this from my mom over facebook because I don't have TV. So for those saying "how do we not know what's going on in the world".... some of us don't spend time watching TV. I don't know about other people but I that's the boat I'm in.

yeah but it isn't only on TV.... it has been in a number of the headline news stories on most major sites (including yaho and msn which aren't even news only sites). It has also been all over the radio here and then on top of that, people at work have also been talking about it.

To each their own I guess. I'm not judging those who don't have TV, but there are some major things going on in the news from the Middle East to Japan to a lot of the proposals for these budget cuts that will affect many people on this board. I just wouldn't want to be out of the loop on those kinds of things... but that's me.

• Options
    imageheysupnatalie:

yet somehow you have the internet to go to thebump.

try out some other websites.. like perchance cnn.com , msn.com , yahoo news or heck even google.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageLisa102304:
    imageiris427:
    Seriously. I get not knowing details, but to have zero clue what is going on!?! How is thus possible?

Work all day, don't watch tv, bump for a while, and read a book before bed.  No one at my job was talking about it...

• Options
    imageMrsDL:
    imageCADE387:
    imageiris427:

imageAZ123:

That's how I took it - to be sarcastic on the IF because it is going to shut down. They have to post new legislation for 72 hours prior to passing so we're past that window.

It won't shutdown for very long - this is a short-term dog and pony show so people can flex their political muscles (on both sides). From what I've read:

1. SS checks will go out 2. Military won't be impacted (including their pay) 3. The post office will continue to operate  4. Air traffic control will not be impacted

Of interest - you won't get your tax refund if you've waited to file and are not doing it electronically but you still have to pay your taxes on-time (big surprise there). Also of interest - government employees won't be paid on the regular schedule but will be paid retroactively per law once the government is back up and running. So, essentially it is an inconvenience for government workers who don't have savings to get by a few days but they pretty much get a free paid vacation because they will be paid for the time the government is shut-down. I find this ludicrious considering the reason the government will likely shut-down in the first place ----> budget issues. Let's cut the deficit by giving employees more paid time off - makes no sense.

Can you tell me where this is coming from? They will be impacted. They will still have to report for duty but won't get paid for it. Eventually they will get it all in back pay. It has happened before. The only soldiers who will not be impacted are those who are currently on deployment.

• Options
    imagerobbie3982:

imageelisbu:

The article I just read said that mail would continue.

yes, mail would continue because the USPS funds themselves. 
  • Options

It sounds like California all over again, on a national level. We've been dealing with "furlough" days and budget cuts for years. Something like a 20% cut for our schools. Of course, the government will stop paying people, and send everyone home for paid leave (cause somehow this saves money?), but the people in charge of passing the budget...they'll get paid.

The whole thing is so ridiculous it makes me angry. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I have heard so much about this. DH is Navy, so our command has constantly kept us updated. Luckily we kept money in savings because otherwise bills could not get paid. Many military families live pay check to pay check.

It has been going on long enough and the president needs to step it up and tell them if they can't decide then they wont get paid either! 

• Options
    imageLeipock:
    imageMrsDL:
    imageCADE387:
    imageiris427:

imageAZ123:

Can you tell me where this is coming from? They will be impacted. They will still have to report for duty but won't get paid for it. Eventually they will get it all in back pay. It has happened before. The only soldiers who will not be impacted are those who are currently on deployment.

According to this article, even those on deployment would stop receiving pay.

https://money.cnn.com/2011/04/06/news/economy/government_shutdown/index.htm?hpt=T2 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageiris427:
    This! Seriously!??? Do any of you watch the news? My DH are mainly concerned w/the fact that we are both in the military and may not get paid.
  • Options

wowa didn't know this topic would cause such a stir about how people spend their free time! Let's try to remain civil ladies and respect eachother's choices.

Personally I check cnn.com a couple times a week and watch 10-15 minutes of local news every morning. With the earthquake and plant fall-out, that's pretty much all I have seen besides local news of a murdered,  bad car accident, or a house fire.... I have seen short clips about the government indecisiveness this past week, and heard the phrase "potential government shutdown", but you hear so much talk now a days its hard to keep up! Plus, we all have a lot on our minds right now. i.e. babies!! Not saying that is a a justifiable excuse, but rather its a reality.

We fellow bumpies aren't the enemy here...it's our goverment :-) And let the flaggin' begin!

P.S. The enemy/goverment comment was meant as a light hearted joke...

• Options
    lol I don't think they will shut down, and if they do not for long. I wouldn't be concerned. I heard on the news today that most things will still run as normal for a few weeks. Hopefully they will figure their crap out by then!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagelaurakaz13:
    imageiris427:
    This! Seriously!??? Do any of you watch the news? My DH are mainly concerned w/the fact that we are both in the military and may not get paid.

I definitely don't claim to be aware of current events in the slightest.  I don't watch TV, don't have a home screen on my laptop (just a list of top sites that DH and I have bookmarked when we open Safari), and spend most of my time around college students who don't commonly discuss the news.  Maybe I should go out of my way to stay informed, but I typically get frustrated when trying to follow news stories since so many are written to rile up readers and are very biased.  

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    imageiris427:
    THIS! I mean, who hasn't heard about it unless they're completely void of all communication?!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    FTR I do not own a TV, nor do I work outside the home.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageiris427:
    FTR I do not own a TV, nor do I work outside the home.

damn hippy

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageoh_maria:

Government Shut Down: Meaning that Congress does not approve allocations for the federal government to continue operations past April 8 because no one can agree on funding for the rest of the current fiscal year (and they just started the fight for next fiscal year- ha!). This happend in late 1994 for about 4 weeks. 

What happens? Applications and "stuff" do not get processed, so there is a delay (but the delay is not forever- just a couple of weeks). Thus, IF there is a shutdown, there would be a couple weeks delay for applications already submitted by not processed and those submitted during and immediately after the shut down. However, the stalemate will certainly not last forever (forever equal more than 3-4 weeks).

It's not so much a hassel as just an additional waiting game. If you're worried about insurance, the SSA can still verify that your application has been submitted for insurance purposes (since it's automated with that stuff in most cases), but the actual processing will be delayed.

yea this and it will be over in a couple weeks, believe it or not it has actually happened before normally like every 5 years or so. Normally everything runs fine during because some parts of the government are considered essential and stay open. My dad works on capital hill, and in all the years past it wasn't a big deal. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

and the REAL reason why ppl don't know what's going on with our government? Click on cnn.com right now.

Top two articles are about a campus murder and the other about people's obsessions with obsession-minded TV shows. Also, half of the video highlights are from the entertainment industry....blah.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"