Military Families
Options

Possibly a stupid question ... Active Duty Mothers

I have noticed that a lot of woman are spouses here and talk about Tricare Prime vs Standard. I am not even going to begin to pretend I know the differences between the two but I had a question about being an active duty member. Does the military cover all of the costs for birth and appointments before the baby is born?

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Possibly a stupid question ... Active Duty Mothers

• Options
    If you're on active duty, you're on Tricare Prime, and you would deliver at a military hospital, so it should cover everything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

AD are covered under Prime and all maternity costs pre/post baby are covered. 

The simplest way to explain standard vs prime is

Standard: you have co-pays and deductibles but they are no where near what your average insurance would cost you.  You have a little more say on your provider.

Prime: no co-pay or deductible.  Have to be seen by a PCM(primary care manager) within your that tricare authorizes.  

I love,love prime and I have yet to have any issues with prime.  If I don't like my doctor I go online to the tricare site find a list of doctors, call to see if they're taking new patients, call tricare explain why I want to change and provide them with new doctors information.

If you have any questions just google tricare and contact them.  They'll answer all your questions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am active duty; the base i'm at does not have a full hospital. Just a family health clinic, so ALL pregnancies (AD or dependent) get reffered down town to a civial ob. But yes for AD all your pregnancy stuff should be covered.

• Options

imagetwest0508:
    If you're on active duty, you're on Tricare Prime, and you would deliver at a military hospital, so it should cover everything.

Prime does not necessarily mean you deliver at a military hospital.  We only have a clinic on base so, after my confirming blood test around 5 weeks, I was referred to a civilian clinic for all my care and will deliver at the local civilian hospital.

I'm not AD but this is what the AD moms do too here.

But yeah, AD is on Prime.

• Options
    imageGracieLouFreebush*:

imagetwest0508:

Prime does not necessarily mean you deliver at a military hospital.  We only have a clinic on base so, after my confirming blood test around 5 weeks, I was referred to a civilian clinic for all my care and will deliver at the local civilian hospital.

You're absolutely right, I sometimes forget that not everyone is stationed in a huge military area like we are, with multiple military hospitals :)

• Options
    imagetwest0508:
    imageGracieLouFreebush*:

imagetwest0508:

You're absolutely right, I sometimes forget that not everyone is stationed in a huge military area like we are, with multiple military hospitals :)

Yes. I'm AD and work in medical.  We do not have a hospital at my base, so all women deliver at the hospital out in town.  And yes, since I have TRICARE Prime every single one of my costs is always covered. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My husband is Active Duty and he acutally had to sign up for something seperate for us to get Tricare Prime...and we don't have a hospital on base, so they sent me to the closest civilian one to us. It covered everything but about $150, which I'm still not sure why that wasn't covered.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"