Baby Showers
Options

Men at Showers

Has anyone invited their DH friends to a baby shower? My DH is planning on being at ours, but wanted to know if he could have some of his friends at the shower... I don't really care, but I'm not sure how MIL (the host) will take it, seeing as she didn't even think DH was going to be there....thoughts?
Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket

Re: Men at Showers

• Options
    I think it depends.  If your MIL is planning a very girly shower then inviting his friends may not be a good idea and they may not enjoy it as much.  I'm not sure how much your DH would enjoy it too.  He may just want to drop you off, go hang out with his friends, and come back in time for the gift opening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I like the tradition of women only showers, but that is just personal preference.  So I guess it would depend on what you and your MIL want to do.  It certainly couldn't hurt to ask if you want to do a more co-ed type shower.
    TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I prefer co-ed showers, but thats because I find the traditional female only showers to be lame. In my circle, co-ed showers tend to be more like a party.
  • Options

imageIrishBrideND:
    I prefer co-ed showers, but thats because I find the traditional female only showers to be lame. In my circle, co-ed showers tend to be more like a party.

I agree.  We had a couples shower and it was lots of fun!  I'm not one of those woment that enjoys a shower with games and stuff like that, so for me, I had a great time at our shower.  DH really wanted to be there and asked if his friends could come so that he wouldn't be the only guy.  I think it just comes down to personal preference.  Just make sure your host is on board with it first. 

• Options

My sister is throwing a co-ed shower for us.  This means guy friendly food, no games, etc.  So less traditional shower and more of a get-together. 

I would suggest talking to your MIL to see what type of shower she is planning.  And then ask her rather than tell her if it is ok to have more of a co-ed type shower. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I agree- talk to your MIL.  Also realize that inviting men at this point (when it seems like she wasn't planning on it) will also increase the guest count.  As she is the host and presumably paying for everything, you need to respect how many people she feels she can afford to host. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I prefer women only, but we are having a co-ed shower. It's an evening cocktail party though, so not the typical "shower". I wouldn't want DH to come to one of my afternoon or brunch showers.
  • Options

Our shower is co-ed. I think it would be weird for only women to be there... H wants to be there to celebrate with the rest of us since it's his baby too. I have three brothers who want to be there and my dad wants to be there. My family is dominated by men.

Since I'm having a boy, my mom went overboard with the blue decorations so I'm sure the men will be nice and comfortable.

Check with your MIL... as long as she can accomodate the additional guests then I'm sure she'd get used to the idea that men will be there. My mom thought it was weird at first, but when she realized H wanted to be there she went with it.

• Options
    DH came to our shower - so did my FIL, brother and BIL. My brother came to help out with the food, BIL came because SIL was there and they were both from out of town and FIL came b/c his son (my BIL) was there. We had a great time!

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options
    I would personally prefer a co-ed shower, but it really needs to be up to the comfort level of the host rather than you and DH. If that would either be too disruptive for your MIL or too expensive, maybe they could all get together for their own thing and then stop by at the end after everyone has eaten, done the games, etc and still see the gifts and visit with people.
  • Options

I say definitely check with MIL first since it sounds like she is hosting. 

We are having a co-ed shower.  It was my sister's idea and I thought it was great.  It will be on a Saturday night from 6pm until midnight and it's at a local upscale bar, which we are really excited about.  My husband's family is big on parties and get-togethers, so we knew our little boy was going to come into the world being celebrated by one :)

image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Family men came to my MIL's shower for me, but that was more to see DH Big Smile

• Options

My husband will "make an appearance" at both of my showers near the end just to say hello, thank people, and pack up gifts.

There are co-ed showers, and if that's what you want and your hostess is willing to plan, then there is no problem. However, your husband can't just invite friends without the hostess sending them invitations. 

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options

We're having a shower at an italian resturant and it's sort of invite one and all type thing - I'm not from here and don't have many friends here so it's going to be full of his family (aunts & UNCLES, cousins, friends (couples & single guys))

I think it's going to be fun - it's really an occasion to celebrate OUR baby, not just MY baby - so I think why not invite guys. They can sit and feed their faces & drink a few beers while women sit and talk about baby stuff. 

• Options

People do co-ed showers now which is always an option. My hostesses asked me if this is what we would want to do...DH was not interested lol.

He will, however, stop in at the end of the shower to say hello to all of the guests, thank everyone for coming/their gifts, and help load up the cars.

• Options
    I'd love the idea of a co-ed one! Our church always throws huge showers, but the men always go get together and go out for pizza or something while the women are at the shower. They do usually trickle back in after they get back though.
  • Options
    I wanted my SO there, and since he was going to be there i thought for him to invite some of his friends to spend time with playing yard games and drinking beer while the ladies were inside swooning over baby gifts. My baby shower was PERFECT. It was one of my top 5 days of my life.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    so does anyone have any recommendations on how to have an intimate shower for women while having a good time for the men?
  • Options
    our baby shower is more of a baby-to-be celebration.  there won't be any shower or baby games.  it will be co-ed, meaning that our male friends and family members will be there as well.  i'm all for involving the men/guys in your life that you and your significant other are close with, especially if they're very involved in your life, like ours are :)
    imageimageimageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageexo7dust:
    so does anyone have any recommendations on how to have an intimate shower for women while having a good time for the men?

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Do you want to section the women off???

We simply have food and drinks. Its like a cocktail party but with a pregnant lady as the guest of honor.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"