March 2012 Moms
Options

Transitioning to Crib

Holy rough night. Any thoughts on transitioning to the crib? Tips? We tried to move DD to her crib for the first time last night (she's been sleeping in our room, in her bouncer for the past three weeks or so). Total fail. She slept from 12:30 - 3 a.m., then was up every twenty minutes or so until 6 a.m., when DS #1 got up. Then she slept for three hours in the Boppy. She was fussy and a little gassy, but definitely fussy.

She's been taking naps and sleeping in the Boppy and the bouncer since we brought her home (she'll be three weeks tomorrow), so perhaps it was being flat that was the issue? Would love thoughts from anyone.

Thoughts on transitioning her to the crib? TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
CafeMom Tickers

Re: Transitioning to Crib

• Options

I had sleep issues with my first two kiddos so decided to try a totally different approach and read "On Becoming Babywise" by Gary Ezzo, on the advise of two couples who used that technique with success.

DS is now 4 weeks and doing well sleeping in crib. He typically wakes only 2x a night from 10 pm on. Ususally once around 1:30 and again at 5. Totally managable!!! He began doing this at about 2 weeks of age and I've been doing the Babywise technique since birth.

As with any book, you take what you can use and leave what you don't want. The key with this technique is flexibility, parental assessment of infant's needs, and really working toward full feedings. Total 180 from my previous full tilt AP model of parenting. This feels much more balanced, and we are seeing the positive results.

btw, he was in the room with us for the first 10 or 12 days.

• Options
    imageDharmajam:

I had sleep issues with my first two kiddos so decided to try a totally different approach and read "On Becoming Babywise" by Gary Ezzo, on the advise of two couples who used that technique with success.

DS is now 4 weeks and doing well sleeping in crib. He typically wakes only 2x a night from 10 pm on. Ususally once around 1:30 and again at 5. Totally managable!!! He began doing this at about 2 weeks of age and I've been doing the Babywise technique since birth.

As with any book, you take what you can use and leave what you don't want. The key with this technique is flexibility, parental assessment of infant's needs, and really working toward full feedings. Total 180 from my previous full tilt AP model of parenting. This feels much more balanced, and we are seeing the positive results.

btw, he was in the room with us for the first 10 or 12 days.

Thx! We used "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" with DS #1 and he's a champion sleeper. I think I just need to dig it up! Good reminder. :)

CafeMom Tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We did Babywise with DD1 and loved it.  I'm waiting for my copy to come in at the library, but if it keeps taking so long I might just need to buy it.  

DD2 won't sleep flat on her back either.  She'll be 4 weeks on Tuesday.  She seems to have a touch of reflux and just chokes when I put her in her crib.  I'm going to try to acclimate her to it during naps during the day when I have more energy and it won't keep the whole house awake. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekmhunt11:

We did Babywise with DD1 and loved it.  I'm waiting for my copy to come in at the library, but if it keeps taking so long I might just need to buy it.  

DD2 won't sleep flat on her back either.  She'll be 4 weeks on Tuesday.  She seems to have a touch of reflux and just chokes when I put her in her crib.  I'm going to try to acclimate her to it during naps during the day when I have more energy and it won't keep the whole house awake. 

That sounds like a good plan -- the acclimating during the day. DH and I talked about me doing that during the day while DS #1 is at daycare and DH is at work. Hopefully, that will help!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    She is still with us at night in her bassinet in the PnP, just because I will be too lazy in the middle of the night to go across the hall.  But right now, we are having her take her naps in the crib and we started this a little over a week ago.  For a few days, we would play with her in the crib, so she got used to it.  Then we would only put her in there once she was completely asleep.  Then for the next few days, we put her in when she is drowsy and almost asleep.  She is now good with taking naps in there and is used to it.  In about 2 weeks (once she is 6 weeks), we are going to start her there at night too, so that when I go to work at 8 weeks, she is in there for all sleeping.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I swaddled her, nursed her til her eyes were half closed and put her down in her crib. She's still sleeping an hour and a half later!  I think swaddling her told her its sleep time and kept her still and calm enough to fall asleep. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My hubby and I were just talking about this lastnight.  We thought we would put a date on moving him to the crib.  So we decided on his 2 month check up.  I'm going to have to go get pick up this book before then. 

Thanks for the great tips!

• Options

We decided to do the transition starting with naps in the daytime. I swaddled her and decided to use the same routine we did with DS1 - we put on some rain sounds, swaddle, feed, rock and put in crib. The bedtime routine is similar, but we use ocean sounds. For DS1, we found that the consistency was the key, and that the different sounds provided ample cues for how long to sleep.

I did the nap routine today, and she's been in the crib sleeping for an hour and twenty minutes. Here's hoping this works! 

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    If you mean the traditional Boppy pillow when you say she "sleeps in the Boppy" - FYI this is very unsafe and is printed right on the tag that you shouldn't do this.  The reason is that that position brings their chin down to their chest and babies can actually suffocate from it. 

https://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=5940318

I know Boppy also sells large pads that are meant for lounging, and maybe those are ok for sleeping but wanted to post this warning just in case.

RE: transitioning to crib - DS2 is still sleeping in our room but when we went through this with DS1 we transitioned him at naptime first (so frequent wakings weren't so painful) and utilized swaddling and white noise machines.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"