Baby Names
Options

WDYT: Caroline (nn Cara) or simply Cara?

Do you prefer the FN Caroline with Cara as a NN or Cara as a standalone name? MN will probably be Marie or Mae after one of my great-grandmothers. Last name is 2 syllables and starts with the letter "B". ***BACKGROUND: DH and I are struggling with names. He seems to prefer unisex names (Riley, Morgan). He also liked the name Carly because his Dad's name is Carlton and his dad passed away when DH was 18. I prefer classic feminine names (my own name is unisex, though mostly female). Anyway, our remaining list is: Morgan (DH favorite, not mine); Paige; Charlotte (nn Charley); and Caroline (nn Cara but I really dislike Carol). Since we like Irish names (we are both Irish and our fn's are Irish) I've started thinking about naming our daughter Cara as a stand alone name. WDYT? ** sorry for lack of clicky poll or spacing. This was written on a mac.***
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WDYT: Caroline (nn Cara) or simply Cara?

• Options
    Caroline with the nn Cara. It`s nice to have a traditional name to fall back on if she decides later on in life that Cara is to nicknamey for her professional life.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick response. That is exactly my concern! I know Cara is a stand alone name in some cultures, so I started wondering if it was strong enough for a professional name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've never understood the "too nicknamey" thing.  My name is Mandie.  Not Amanda, not Miranda ... Mandie.  It's always suited me just fine and I can't ever think of a time where it held me back in any way not to have a more formal name.

If you like Cara, go with Cara.  I think it's a beautiful name on its own.  Caroline is great as well, but I just think you should name her what you'll call her, now what you think you "should" name her. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks Mandie, I really appreciate your perspective!
  • Options

I think Cara is professional enough to be stand alone. It doesn't sound too 'nicknamey' to me. However, I prefer the name Caroline. I don't think Caroline is shortened to Carol very often, if that is a huge concern for you. 

Have you considered Caroline with the NN Carly? Carly is a common NN for Caroline and it would honor your late FIL...just a  thought.  

• Options

I think Paige is a great option for you guys- it seems to match both of your preferences.

I think Cara is a very sweet name, and I love it as a nn for Caroline but it stands alone just fine.

I really don't think that anyone will call her Carol if you name her Caroline.

My choices, in order: 

Paige Marie

Caroline Mae, nn Cara 

Cara Mae 

• Options
    As someone with the full name of Cara, I have never thought of it as incomplete or nicknamey at all, I am more surprised that it can/is used as a NN!

• Options

imageTysMomPlusOne:
    As someone with the full name of Cara, I have never thought of it as incomplete or nicknamey at all, I am more surprised that it can/is used as a NN!

This. I've NEVER heard of Cara as a NN for anything. My cousin is a Cara and I think it's a gorgeous name and a "formal" name is just superfluous in my opinion.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am in the "longer, more traditional full name" camp.

But I would be perfectly fine with Cara as a full name. In fact, I'm currently trying to persuade my best friend to use Cara for her next girl.

I however, personally love Caroline so much that I would want to use it as the full name. But that's just me.

• Options
    My BFF is Carissa Lynne and her dad only calls her Carly.  You could do something like that, too.  Cara Lydia, for example.  You can have her go by Cara, but your DH can call her Carly.  I think it's cute when the dad has his own nn for the baby. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am not a fan of predestined nn. I like Caroline and Cara as stand alone names. I don't see the point of naming her Caroline just to call her Cara.
  • Options
    imageMrs.Deputy:

imageTysMomPlusOne:

This. I've NEVER heard of Cara as a NN for anything. My cousin is a Cara and I think it's a gorgeous name and a "formal" name is just superfluous in my opinion.

Totally agree.  Every Cara (or Kara) I know is named just that -- Cara.  None of them have ever been nicknames.  Go for it!

• Options

My first name is Caroline - but I have always gone by the nickname Carrie. I guess my dad really wanted me to have a long formal name and a nickname, and my mom hated the idea of calling me Carol. Just thought I would throw Carrie out as another possible nn!

Just as a warning, I have never really been able to go by Caroline. Even if I introduce myself as Caroline R____, people always find out that I have a nn, Carrie, and they end up calling me that. In my professional life, everyone knows me as Carrie. I am sure I could be more persistant, and go by my real name, but I think once you have grown up with one name, it is really hard to change it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrs.Deputy:

imageTysMomPlusOne:

I agree.  It's such a nice name on it's own.   Carly maybe would be a better nn?

photo cec1e248-7430-4475-9668-04578f2fd00a.jpg 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Thanks Everyone!
  • Options

Love both Caroline and Cara (both are on my list!)

IMO - if you plan to call her Cara, just name her Cara. 

You can't go wrong with either, though!  Pretty names!

• Options
    I LOVE Caroline, and Cara, and wish I could convince DH (and a neighbor wasn't using the name).  It is truly my favorite girl name.  I think a formal option is great, but Cara is not unprofessional sounding.  I just love the full and having the short for fun.  I think if you set it right from the start you won't have a Carol, either.  I would not want a Carol, either.  GL!
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • Options
    One of my good friends is named Caroline. She always went by Caroline.  I never even though to call her Cara.  I did have another friend in high school named just Cara.  I like both as stand alone names. Caroline only gets the nn Carol as a half-kidding joke type thing.  She does go by Carol quite a bit now, but all in good fun.  It's hard to explain, but I don't think they would be called Carol unless they encouraged it somehow.
  • Options
    I'm a Cara, and I like the name as an adult! I also love the name Caroline--I was actually thinking the other day about using that for a name, but that it's too similar to my own. Love both! I haven't known nearly as many Caras as I have Carolines, if that matters at all to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"