Austin Babies
Options

If you've moved with a toddler...

And have staged your house, can you give me a pep talk?  We had a stager come in last night and oh.my.god.  The things she's asking us to do with Luke running around are challenging to say the least.  I tossed and turned all night thinking about it and woke up grumpy this morning.  It's not gonna be that bad is it?  And it's not forever, right?  Someone, please make me feel like this is doable.  Tongue Tied

Re: If you've moved with a toddler...

• Options

We sold our house when Megan was 16-17 months.  And it was hard but once we got it all cleaned, setup... it wasn't too bad to maintain.  We did eat out a lot because then we didn't have to clean up from dinner and pick up toys and re-setup the house every evening.  We packed away and put away a lot of toys so there was less that could be done.  And during the day we mostly stayed out of the house until nap time to keep the mess at bay (and so people could come by the house and we didn't have to pack up and leave on short notice).  We were lucky because our house sold the first week so we didn't have to do it for long. 

It's definitly doable!

Good luck!

• Options
    imageMrsRosie:

Um, WTF? You're selling your house?  Newsfalsh much, woman?   

dude, why is everyone moving?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrsRosie:

I can understand keeping it as clean as possible, but as far as a kid mess here or there, meaning toys stashed quickly in a corner, probably not as big a deal.  I doubt someone's decision would be decided on whether or not all the toys are in place.  I would keep out just the stuff he loves and get some nice-looking bins or baskets to stash it. 

What she said. Do try to reduce clutter by packing stuff away and putting it in storage, but for the books and toys that you keep out and he plays with, there's no shame in throwing them in a bin on your way out the door. There were lots of times when I got interrupted mid-deadline and just had to pile a bunch of papers and books and materials on the floor in the closet. The people that look at the house are probably not going to freak if there's a toy left out. (And if they are, they probably aren't the buyers you want, anyway.)

• Options
    imageMrsRosie:

Yeah DH and I have been toying with the idea since the end of last year. We finally took the plunge and hired a realtor 2 weeks ago. I guess it doesn't seem real yet because the sign's not in the yard. But after last night it seems very real. The stuff that makes it overwhelming: Convert Luke's play room to a mock office/library. Clear all the kitchen counters of everything, including coffee pot, toaster, canisters, etc. Decorate the living room with stuff on the floor (she actually suggested glass hurricanes!). She tried demonstrating and Luke immediatelythought it was a toy. Clear our bathroom counters of anything functional (toothbrushes, soap) and empty out the shower of shampoo and other stuff after each use. We have a list of ~50 things she suggests doing. Obviously we don't HAVE to do them, but our realtor uses her for a reason so it's hard to completely discount her ideas. (Sorry for the formatting. I'm on my phone.)
  • Options
    imagebrideonjuly8:
    imageMrsRosie:

For us it's allllllllll about the school districts. I'm not okay with the one were in. Obviously Luke has a few years before we really have to worry about it, but interest rates aren't getting any lower, KWIM? And we're not leaving Austin...just moving to a better area--school wise.
  • Options
    imageMrs.Froggianna:
    imagebrideonjuly8:
    imageMrsRosie:

For us it's allllllllll about the school districts. I'm not okay with the one were in. Obviously Luke has a few years before we really have to worry about it, but interest rates aren't getting any lower, KWIM? And we're not leaving Austin...just moving to a better area--school wise.

That makes sense.  I haven't really esearched our school district much yet, but the house next to ours is for sale and it's really pretty inside.  :)

• Options
    People fighting over you is such a great way to start a Monday :)
  • Options
    There's a great elementary within walking distance in our neighborhood, ranked recognized (2nd highest rank). And pretty good deals (closing costs and some extras paid, and the builder bought our interest rate down). :)
  • Options
    So.... the house four doors down from us is for sale too - 4bed/2.5 bath and our hood goes to an 'E' rated elementary school... just sayin'.... :)
  • Options

imagebrideonjuly8:
    but the house next to ours is for sale and it's really pretty inside.  :)

Dude, I was totally oogling that house the last time I was over. Too bad we aren't moving anytime soon.

And y'all stop fighting. Froggi is moving close to meeeeeee. Stick out tongue

Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Options

we had someone come in and she completely sterilized our house. nothing anywhere.

We had two totes of toys for H. One upstairs in the play area and one downstairs. We could put the tote behind the sofa downstairs and up stairs it was against the wall.  He has a few bigger toys upstairs (train table) that we argued over and won. We just pushed against the wall. It wasn't hard to keep tidy or clean up quickly once you put away most of the toys and only have a few out for use.

The rest of the house was the same, once you put away/store all your stuff, there's nothing left to get messy. 

He went weird when we first staged, but we got rid of so much stuff and it was just weird for him to see the house in such a way. He came around after a few weeks though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would imagine the initial packing/putting away would be a PITA but like fjaril said above, it should be manageable once you do a big pack?  and you can kind of make it like christmas when you do move - opening the boxes to find his old toys might be kind of fun since he will have probably forgotten about most of the stuff. 

or the whole thing could be a royal PITA. ;(  hopefully most of the people who do come for a showing have a kid or two and will understand stuff being out.  heck, I remember looking at a condo that was clearly occupied by a single guy and his bed was unmade and he had crap everywhere.  no excuses, dude!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMrs.Froggianna:

The stuff that makes it overwhelming:Convert Luke's play room to a mock office/library.Clear all the kitchen counters of everything, including coffee pot, toaster, canisters, etc. Decorate the living room with stuff on the floor (she actually suggested glass hurricanes!). She tried demonstrating and Luke immediatelythought it was a toy. Clear our bathroom counters of anything functional (toothbrushes, soap) and empty out the shower of shampoo and other stuff after each use. We have a list of ~50 things she suggests doing. Obviously we don't HAVE to do them, but our realtor uses her for a reason so it's hard to completely discount her ideas. (Sorry for the formatting. I'm on my phone.)

I'd do most of what she said there - clearing all of your counters, especially, and emptying the shower too.  Those things aren't so bad once you get in the habit of doing it, kwim?  We got so used to it that we do it at home all the time now, and I quite like the clear countertop look.  ;)

But I wouldn't re-do a play room into an office.  Chances are at least some of the people coming to look at your house have kids or hope to have kids (are first time home buyers common in your 'hood?) and people like that LIKE to see a cute play room.  That's my opinion, at least.  I also wouldn't put out a bunch of breakable stuff, because seriously?  You're going to go nuts keeping your kid away from it.  Pick up some new throw pillows or a nice wall canvas or something, but skip the things that will make your house a hazard to your kid.

Oh!  And gold framed flamingo artwork!  Fo'sho. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"