D.C. Area Babies
Options

Dairy, soy, other allergy?

If your LO has an allergy to something in your BM, how did you figure out what it was? My DS shows signs of an allergy, and based on what I've been eating, the pedi suspects dairy or nuts. Right now I'm eliminating nuts from my diet to see if that helps, and if it doesn't, I'll start eliminating dairy and maybe soy. Is this the best thing to do, or can DS be tested for allergies?

If he ends up being allergic to something I've been eating for a while, does that mean I can't give him any of my frozen pumped milk? That would be a huge problem. :(

Also, if you gave up dairy, did you have to stop cooking things with butter, small amounts of cream, etc.? Or did you just have to remove the obvious sources from your diet, i.e. straight-up milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream?
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Dairy, soy, other allergy?

• Options
    I don't know if there is a way to test, but friends of mine have just started eliminating things from their diets one by one.  Although I did have one friend who just eliminated all that stuff at once! lol
  • Options

My best friend is going through this right now... she's been eliminating stuff one by one.

She thought she was going to have to give up BF'ing (because, there's no way she can give up cheese, LOL) - but, she's gotten her diet to a point where her DD seems to tolerate the BM.  She's even able to give some of the pumped milk in small quantities without reaction.

She found that if she cuts way back on dairy, and eliminates onions, things seem to be OK.

This probably isn't helpful.  But, just wanted to let you know that you might not have to totally give up everything!

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I stopped doing dairy when my daughter started having blood in her poo when she was a few months old. 

I wasn't hard core about it.  I know I didn't completely remove all dairy - just the obvious offenders.  And within weeks the blood started clearing up.  

DD did not have any issues with dairy once we started introducing cheese, yogurt, milk etc...

To me, giving up dairy sounded a lot harder than it actually was.   It is only temporary.  Good luck!

• Options
    Like the pp stated, I just started eliminating things from my diet. Brooks gets painful gas, so not really an allergy. I'm currently diary and gluten free, as well as sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, broccoli and butternut squash. I just completely took it out of my diet and noticed a change within 48 hours. Good luck, it's daunting to think about, but now it's part of my daily life and not really difficult.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ugh, I just wrote out a huge post and it was eaten by the internet. Long story short, it varies kid to kid but for C I only had to cut out obvious dairy and could occasionally sneak in old milk from the freezer.
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
  • Options

Sorry you're going through this.  DD was just diagnosed with a milk protein allergy, so I completely understand!  She was extremely fussy and gassy.  I thought I might have noticed blood once or twice (even after eliminating dairy and soy), but I wasn't sure since it was a few dark brown spots.  During our last pedi visit, DD had a dirty diaper and she tested it for blood; which came up positive.  We couldn't see it, but it was still there.

If it's a dairy allergy, you have to eliminate ALL sources of dairy in your diet.  That includes foods that have some form of dairy added to them, even if it's cooked (butter, milk, etc).  It can take up to 2 weeks for dairy to completely leave your system, then another week or two for it to clear your LO's system, so you might have to be patient!  Eventually, you may be able to add in some sources of dairy, but you have to see how your LO reacts.

A lot of babies that are allergic to milk protein, also react to soy.  Just something to keep in mind.  (Soy is in a ton of pre-packaged foods)

Have you checked out kellymom?  Here's the link on food allergies and BFing: https://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/food-sensitivity.html

• Options
    I'm curious to know why you think he has an allergy now if he's been BF all along?  I dont want to play devils advocate here and I trust that you've been to a pedi and talked about it, but I went through this as well where I thought Nathan had an allergy because all he did was scream his head off after everytime he was fed and would just pass gas like no ones business.  Turns out he had silent reflux and he's just a gassy baby. 
    image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageJitterbug2668:
    I'm curious to know why you think he has an allergy now if he's been BF all along?  I dont want to play devils advocate here and I trust that you've been to a pedi and talked about it, but I went through this as well where I thought Nathan had an allergy because all he did was scream his head off after everytime he was fed and would just pass gas like no ones business.  Turns out he had silent reflux and he's just a gassy baby. 

I asked the same question. The pedi said these types of allergies often don't show up until babies are 3-4 months old. I've cut out dairy for the past 4 days and I've already seen a big improvement, so I'm leaning towards that as the cause. He had streaks of blood in his diapers, so it was more than just gas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"