Babies on the Brain
Options

Being pregnant and overweight

Recently my husband and I decided that we want to have a baby.  However I am scared of getting pregnant and having a baby at my current weight.   Scared and confused..  Advice

Re: Being pregnant and overweight

• Options

I don't know how overweight you are, but I have a BMI of 32, and had a perfectly healthy child.

Advice? Lose weight if you're scared of getting KU'd while being overweight.

Batman likes to watch cartoons on the weekends. Whatever.

"I'll gladly take cold sores over eye herpes" -ElieFin
    "Unicorn glitter gives me UTIs." -Leila'sMommy
  • Options

200+  Never had any health problems at all either. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I would focus on getting yourself healthy before you consider bringing a child into the world.

If you cant take care  of yourself how can you take care of a child?

I think its selfish to be overweight and not try to do anything before taking on the huge physical demands of pregnancy.

why put yourself at additional risk if you dont have to?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

I would focus on getting yourself healthy before you consider bringing a child into the world.

I think its selfish to be overweight and not try to do anything before taking on the huge physical demands of pregnancy.

How, exactly, does being overweight mean that you are unable to care for yourself or for another human being?
  • Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

wow, just wow. 

Thing 1 = April 2008, 38weeks 8lbs 7oz 19in
    Thing 2 = May 2009, Stillborn 33weeks 4lbs 9oz 18in
    Thing 3 = October 2010, 27weeks 4days 2lbs 4oz 14.25in

• Options
    imagehippotree:
    imageSarahTx5701:

How, exactly, does being overweight mean that you are unable to care for yourself or for another human being?

I think you should take care of your body. Putting your own health and body first is generally good practice.

If you are overweight due to a medical condition, then I get it and I hope its controlled and you are working with an MD and maybe 200 for her IS healthy and good.  It's not meant to offend, but let's be real. Being overweight makes it harder to do daily tasks, have energy, etc.

• Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

Yes, because at 198, I can barely wipe my own ass, let alone feed an infant.

Wow.

• Options

Oh COME ON people. Don't jump down my throat. She said she is SCARED to have a baby at her current weight and wanted advice.

My advice?  LOSE WEIGHT. It's not rocket science. 

• Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

Indifferent

• Options
    Where's FK when you need her?
  • Options

imagerobinsokj:

thats what i was thinking too!

• Options

imagerobinsokj:

Shaving her snatch with a weed-whacker. 

• Options
    imagePubStar09:
    imageSarahTx5701:

Wow.

i was hoping I wasn't the only one who saw something horribly wrong with her statement.    My mom was very overweight while I was a child and it never affected her ability to take care of me.  Making stereotypes like that is pathetic.  Chances are there are a million overweight women & fathers who will be a far better parent than 'skinny' people. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My biggest fear is I'll sit on and suffocate my infant.
    Fuuck TTC - I'm moving on.
    imageimageimageimage
    "It's a child, not a cheeto" Thanks mmariluh!
    "Ew. I've read all of two posts from you, and you stink like rotting garbage."
  • Options
    imageTim'sWifey:

imagerobinsokj:

Shaving her snatch with a weed-whacker. 

::giggle snort::

• Options
    imagePubStar09:
    imageSarahTx5701:

Wow.

Yes, but can you shave your snatch? Or do you have to use a weed-whacker? ;)
  • Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

Oh COME ON people. Don't jump down my throat. She said she is SCARED to have a baby at her current weight and wanted advice.

"But but but, I was only trying to help!"

STFU.

• Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

I'd be willing to bet that a large portion of her fear is having to do with twats like you who love to spew the "if you can't take care of yourself" bullshiit.

I'm fat and have zero issue with energy.  I'm one of the most active people I know. 

Fuuck TTC - I'm moving on.
    imageimageimageimage
    "It's a child, not a cheeto" Thanks mmariluh!
    "Ew. I've read all of two posts from you, and you stink like rotting garbage."
  • Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

Then suggest that she see a doctor and lose weight, and maybe leave out the incredibly ignorant and offensive parts. It's not rocket science.
  • Options
    imagehippotree:
    imagePubStar09:

Wow.

Nope. Tree trimmers attached to two 10-foot poles that my DH has to operate for me while my skin slowly grows around the bed I'm confined to.

• Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagePubStar09:
    imagehippotree:
    imagePubStar09:

Wow.

Nope. Tree trimmers attached to two 10-foot poles that my DH has to operate for me while my skin slowly grows around the bed I'm confined to.

LOL i lurve you!

• Options
    Just when I thought it was going to be a slow Saturday, this gem comes out. I'm not over weight and I still find what you said extremely offensive and disgusting. DH is overweight and has far more energy then I've ever had. He can run 5 friggen miles and I won't even attempt to run at all. Ugh, it's people like you that make others feel bad about themselves. Get off your skinny high horse.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagesoftskate31:
    imageSarahTx5701:

I think I'm pretty capable of taking care of myself and my child, my DH, my pets...while my weight isn't ideal, its not like I am bedridden lying in gobs of my own fat and skin. I skate, swim, play softball...all at this weight. Yes, I tried to lose weight before pregnancy, but after struggling to lose for about 15 years, we decided to have our children before I go down a more drastic weight loss route. I was active my whole pregnancy. And I'm not trying to be snarky with this comment, but you are proof that complications can happen to anyone regardless of weight. Living healthy doesn't mean you are automatically a healthy weight - or a better parent than someone who is heavy.

I didn't mean incapable of caring for a child when you are overweight. But as far as taking care of yourself, like losing the weight, learning better eat habits, etc.

This was not meant to be a overweight vs skinny people debate or fight. I dont think I'm better than anyone. I'm not even at the weight I would like to be.  However, After I had my son and going through that I figured my weight could have   played a part. most likely not, but if losing weight could prevent a reoccurance than I would do it. 

I worked with a trainer, changed my diet and lost a good amount of weight before getting pregnant again.  I just think its important to think of yourself and put yourself first because after you have kids, its extremely hard to focus on just YOU anymore. It wil lbe even harder to lose weight.  Do yourself a favor and take care of yourself first.

I'm sorry it sounded so insanely insensitive.  

• Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

Fvck off. Seriously.  Now I'm going back to caring for my child, if I can manage to get my fat asss off the couch that is.

• Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

Um, did you happen to read in GC's post about disingenuous apologies?

"I'm sorry you feel bad" or "I'm sorry you took that wrong" do not count as apologies. 

"Wow, I really said that poorly, and I can absolutely see why BOTB would be upset with me. I really need to think harder, and perhaps re-read my posts before hitting POST in the future."

That's an apology. 

• Options
    imageakalutts:
    imageSarahTx5701:

"I'm sorry you feel bad" or "I'm sorry you took that wrong" do not count as apologies. 

"Wow, I really said that poorly, and I can absolutely see why BOTB would be upset with me. I really need to think harder, and perhaps re-read my posts before hitting POST in the future."

That's an apology. 

I'm not sorry for the general idea of what I said. I still think it's a good idea to lose weight before getting pregnant if you are scared about complications.

I am sorry for saying you cannot take care of your children if you are overweight, I know that's not the case. I personally feel you should focus on yourself and get really healthy if it's possible before conceiving.

• Options
    imageSarahTx5701:
    imageakalutts:
    imageSarahTx5701:

That's an apology. 

I'm not sorry for the general idea of what I said. I still think it's a good idea to lose weight before getting pregnant if you are scared about complications.

I am sorry for saying you cannot take care of your children if you are overweight, I know that's not the case. I personally feel you should focus on yourself and get really healthy if it's possible before conceiving.

• Options
    Texas. Nuff said.
  • Options

imageLambie.:
    Texas. Nuff said.

Confused

• Options

Yikes!  I didn't mean for this to cause such a controversy.  I think we all come on here to talk about our experiences not to get chewed out by other posters.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, you don't have to agree with eachother.

To clarify, yes I am overweight AND I have never had any health problems in my 28 years of life.  I have been overweight for several years of my life and I have tried everything in the book to lose weight.  Dr's trainers, diet programs, work out routines, and the weight comes extremely slow and then eventually comes back to where I am now.  I am a preschool teacher and have tons of engery.  I run around with 3-4 year olds all day then I come home to my black lab.  For you dog owners out there you know that labs aren't actually lab dogs.  I have cut out processed food and eat clean, and walk 3-5 miles a day. 

All I was intending by this post was to hear stories of others out there, what have been pregnant and over weight.

• Options

To the OP: Being overweight does not necessarily mean you will have a complicated pregnancy. Talk to your doctor about where you're at, your lifestyle and your current health and see what they say. I had a physical and spoke to my doctor before starting TTC and it really helped me to know that despite being overweight I wasn't at any more risk than anyone else. Go with how you feel. I have a toddler and one on the way and I'm just fine. 

SaratTX, It was pretty obvious that you have judgments and biases against people that are overweight. It really makes me sad that people like you all over the place think that because someone is overweight they are less of a parent or somehow incapable of making healthy choices for themselves or their children. Being overweight is something many struggle with and not always because of just being a lazy sloth. I hope you can change your perceptions and be less judgmental. 

I'd rather be fat than teach my child to judge others based on looks and life choices. Just saying.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekms379:

Yikes!  I didn't mean for this to cause such a controversy.  I think we all come on here to talk about our experiences not to get chewed out by other posters.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, you don't have to agree with eachother.

To clarify, yes I am overweight AND I have never had any health problems in my 28 years of life.  I have been overweight for several years of my life and I have tried everything in the book to lose weight.  Dr's trainers, diet programs, work out routines, and the weight comes extremely slow and then eventually comes back to where I am now.  I am a preschool teacher and have tons of engery.  I run around with 3-4 year olds all day then I come home to my black lab.  For you dog owners out there you know that labs aren't actually lab dogs.  I have cut out processed food and eat clean, and walk 3-5 miles a day. 

All I was intending by this post was to hear stories of others out there, what have been pregnant and over weight.

What are you scared of then? You're chasing around kids all day long. You'll be fine if your health is clear. :)

• Options

Horror stories.  Being judged for being overweight AND pregnant.  I guess ignorant people judging me because I am over weight they assume that you don't take care of yourself, etc.  Pretty much everything that everyone discussed here. 

• Options
    imageprincess101:

I'd rather be fat than teach my child to judge others based on looks and life choices. Just saying. 

OP: Good for you for asking - it's something that's clearly been on your mind, and I hope the reasonable responses have given you some peace of mind. MAke an appointment to talk to your Dr and say exactly what you said in your OP. You're young, you sound really active and you have a lab so you're cool in my book. I wish you well.

SaratTX: stop being a judgemental asshat. 

• Options
    imagekms379:

Horror stories.  Being judged for being overweight AND pregnant.  I guess ignorant people judging me because I am over weight they assume that you don't take care of yourself, etc.  Pretty much everything that everyone discussed here. 

It happens, as you've clearly seen here. Honestly though, many won't know you're pregnant until later on and even then most don't say anything because they aren't sure or just know enough to not ever ask a woman if she's pregnant. I never had a negative comment while pregnant. Looks, maybe, but I ignored them because I'm sure I could've found 100 reasons to judge them right back if I chose to be that kind of person. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks other than your husband and your doctor. Everyone else is just background noise in the TTC decision. Good luck. 

• Options
    Yeouch. I'll ask my mil to scootch forward in that canoe.
    JHL 12/5/09 - 12/9/09
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I don't think anything she said is that far off base. 

• Options

I agree 100% with sarahtx

If you want to get pregnant when you are overweight that's fine. But the OP is clearly feeling conflicted about it and with good reason.  

• Options

imagegreenclown:
    Yeouch. I'll ask my mil to scootch forward in that canoe.

:Giggles: 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"