Postpartum Depression

Is Zoloft hurting my BM supply?

I posted about this before but wanted to see if there are other opinions.  I started taking Zoloft 50mg almost at the same time I went back to work two weeks ago and my bm supply is dwindling.  I had an oversupply before and I understand that around 3 months the body adjusts to what LO actually needs but I can't help but think that Zoloft is contributing to the decrease.  

Has anyone experienced this with Zoloft?  I used to get 3 oz at least from my superboob (2 on the lazy one) but now I'm lucky if I get a 2.5.  I pump every 3 hours or so at work.  I'm going to try pumping every 2 hours instead and pump at home after LO sleeps to see if I can increase my supply.  Also, I'll look into getting supplements because I really would like to stay on Zoloft a little longer.  

I'd love to hear your experiences.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is Zoloft hurting my BM supply?

• I can't answer your question, as I wasn't on my Zoloft while I was BFing.  My PPD didn't hit until after I weaned.  But, I wanted to offer my support.  My supply took a huge hit when I returned to work.  It was awful.  I drank Mothers Milk tea like crazy, took Fenugreek and something else that I can't remember the name of right now.  I didn't do too terribly bad.  I was able to BF for 6 months.  Seeing as how I had to return to work at 7 weeks, I consider that a success.  I would call your Dr and ask what you can do.  It can't hurt to ask.  GL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejaime5121:
    My supply took a huge hit when I returned to work.  It was awful.  I drank Mothers Milk tea like crazy, took Fenugreek GL

This. My milk supply took a hit when I went back to work.  Fenugreek worked like a charm for a day, but eating more calories and taking deep breaths to relax gave me more let-downs eventually brought the production back up.  I started Zoloft a couple months later and didn't notice a change in production.  Though I did finally lose the last few pounds of baby weight right away!!  But that's probably because the Zoloft calmed me down and I stopped eating for comfort - lol.  

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't have any issues when I started Zoloft and later Lexapro. I did have a serious supply decrease when I returned to work though. I never responded well to the pump. 
    PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
  • I was on Zoloft until I got PG again (2U2 for a PPD lady...I must be nuts!) and had EBF until DS was 4 mo, then half BF until 8 mo and I never saw a supply drop that I would have attributed to the Zoloft. I used to pump at 1am every night so DS could get a bottle of BM if needed (not that he took a bottle for several months) and around 3 mo I had the same issues - including a way less super superboob, and I also had oversupply at one point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Concerns about Zoloft and pregnancy is best to discuss with your doctor. Pregnant women should be extra-careful in taking medications particularly antidepressants like Zoloft. The drug has been implicated of causing serious side effects like birth defects to infants.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"