Eco-Friendly Family
Options

WWYD (re: mouse in house) *clicky poll*

I plugged the hole that the mouse came out of the fireplace in. Last I checked on him he was sleeping and looking comfy. He's a tiny little guy, about an inch and a half long and itty bitty.

I'm going to get a humane trap after work so I can capture him, but he's so cute that I'm temped to keep him as a house mouse (in a cage, of course). He's so little and with winter coming, I feel badly putting him back outside. I'm a big softie. Embarrassed

So... WWYD?

[Poll]

Re: WWYD (re: mouse in house) *clicky poll*

• Options

imagej.d.gal:
    Not to freak you out, but I've been told that if you see one mouse, you likely have a lot more that you don't see.  I guess they typically are not solitary creatures.

That's what someone else said too. :( I'm keeping an eye and so far he's just by himself. I'm hoping he just got lost... If we find more we'll have to figure something else out.

• Options
    I've been "letting" some mousy friends live in our attic for a few years now, but I'm done.  I can't stand their scratchy sounds above my head while I'm sleeping.  I've given DH permission to do what is necessary to remove them from our house.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i don't mess around when it comes to mice. they can live in our woods and field all they please, but anywhere in the house, crawl space or attic is off limits.

mice carry disease, and yes, if you see one, he's got a whole party of friends hiding out somewhere.

• Options
    I hate, hate mice, I vote for #1.
  • Options

I vote SS - if you have a friend w/ a cat - bonus if the cat's a mouser, borrow their cat for a few days and let nature take its course.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMeg41208:

I vote SS - if you have a friend w/ a cat - bonus if the cat's a mouser, borrow their cat for a few days and let nature take its course.

I have 2 cats, but I'm not interested in killing him and having a dead mouse in my house.

• Options
    imageStephanieDM:
    imageMeg41208:

I have 2 cats, but I'm not interested in killing him and having a dead mouse in my house.

Good idea.  One of our "attic nieghbors" died a few years ago, and the stink was horrible.  And impossible to find in an attic.

• Options

imagej.d.gal:
    Not to freak you out, but I've been told that if you see one mouse, you likely have a lot more that you don't see.  I guess they typically are not solitary creatures.

This, and you'll be amazed where they can get to.  They have no qualms about pooping in the same cabinet as your casserole dish. 

I personally would be the mouse's version of the maffia and he'd be sleeping with the fishies, but if you do get rid of him, I'd take him to a not-so-close national park or something.  Don't want to hoist them on a neighbor or another household and you don't want him getting back into yours.

• Options
    imagepapagena:

imagej.d.gal:

This, and you'll be amazed where they can get to.  They have no qualms about pooping in the same cabinet as your casserole dish. 

I personally would be the mouse's version of the maffia and he'd be sleeping with the fishies, but if you do get rid of him, I'd take him to a not-so-close national park or something.  Don't want to hoist them on a neighbor or another household and you don't want him getting back into yours.

If I get rid of him, I'm going to drive him far away so he can't find his way back. I haven't seen any other mice or signs of mice. I think he just got lost and climbed down our chimney. :( I hope theres no more mice!

• Options

Of the 10 or 11 mice we've caught in the last few months, our cats have only been responsible for 1.  She then batted it around like a toy until I took it away from her.  Useless, those cats.

They ate through the wiring to our dishwasher.  Bad business, those mice.

• Options
    imageStephanieDM:

imagej.d.gal:

That's what someone else said too. :( I'm keeping an eye and so far he's just by himself. I'm hoping he just got lost... If we find more we'll have to figure something else out.

This time of year it's totally possible he came in looking for warmth.  In two places I've lived we've gotten one mouse each fall and that's it so hopefully that is the case with you too.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageLotte134:
    imageStephanieDM:

imagej.d.gal:

This time of year it's totally possible he came in looking for warmth.  In two places I've lived we've gotten one mouse each fall and that's it so hopefully that is the case with you too.

Thank you. This gives me hope! :)

• Options
    imageLotte134:

This. A community of mice in your future isn't necessarily eminent. Around this time of year my inlaws always get one or two that make their way into the house trying to get out of the cold. They trap them and that's it. No more mice again until next year and no signs of mice anywhere in their home.

Oh and I voted not to keep him! Wild mice aren't really the same as the kind you buy in the pet store. They definitely can carry disease. 

• Options
    Every night my 4 cats line up in front of my oven where there is a mouse living behind it,who must come out at night, but they are useless!! My mom had success with a product called "mouse magic" and she just gave me some to try. It's all natural and it smells really strong of mint which is supposed to deter them from coming in if you put the stuff where they usually get in. your supposed to do it in fall when they are looking to move in for the winter.
  • Options

Mice can make fun pets, but not when they were wild to begin with.  A wild mouse will never be happy or content in a cage and will constantly try to escape and be chewing on the bars.

I speak from experience!  I kept mice as pets as a kid -- domestic mice from a fancy rat and mouse club -- and at some point my mom caught a wild mouse in the house and we attempted to keep him as a pet too.  It just never worked out.  He never lost the wildness, was prone to biting, and was constantly chewing on the bars in frustration.  I think he eventually escaped somehow, or maybe my mom took pity on him and set him free somewhere and told me he escaped.

my currently-reading shelf:
    Jennifer's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"