Well, I had an appointment yesterday with my OB, and the pathology on the placenta came back as showing infection and "was in pieces". That information combined with the fact that I had spotting from week 6, my placenta had to be manually removed, and that even after that ordeal I still ended up having a D&C leads my OB to believe the placenta was the problem, and I do not have an incompetant cervix.
I also had a thrombophila panel run, and I came back positive for anti-cardiolipin antibodies. This can lead to clotting issues, and could cause problems with the placenta due to tiny clots forming in the veins and cutting off blood supply. However, as with any clotting issue, theories vary. I have been referred to an RE for further testing, and he should be able to tell me if daily baby aspirin is enough, or if I may need to add blood thinners.
I have been cleared to start trying again if I want to. I should be ovulating next week sometime. My DH and I have decided to not avoid but we won't be going full bore until we meet with the RE. I may do opk's but mainly just to see what my cycle is like now.