Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

blackout curtains that really work?

I have heard it's a good idea to get blackout curtains for the nursery, but I remember when DH and I were looking for some for ourselves, we bought two different kinds and neither turned out to really make the room dark.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!

Re: blackout curtains that really work?

• Options

Well, we couldn't even find actualy curtains that worked. We ended up going to JoAnn's Fabric, and buying blackout material. It sucks cause you can't ever open the window if you want, but we just cut the material to fit the window, hung it, and then hung regular cute curtains over it.

It's a little weird, but it works great! We found it when we needed it for our room. H works nights, so he needs it really dark during the day. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Roc-lon 100% blackout linings.

However I have heard that it's good to not let babies get used to sleeping in specific conditions. Like if you use blackout they will only be able to sleep in a dark room. It's good to keep the room dark at night but not necessary for naptime. Just a thought so you don't feel as pressured to buy new curtains if you don't want to.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We bought regular thick white panels for the nursery, but I also bought white blackout fabric from a local store.  I just cut it to size and safety pinned it to the top of the panels.  This way I can open and close them easily, but still take them off without ruining the panels.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Got mine from Target...love them!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

we just bought a cellular shade that has aluminum in it to block out the sun and also to help with keeping out the heat and the cold since that is an issue for the nursery thanks to the window's exposure. I'm not normally a shade fan but I'm making an exception in the hopes that this works.

We got it at home depot. It is also cordless which I like. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JCPenneys has some great ones- I think the brand is "eclipse".  We have them for our bedroom and they work almost too good because I overslept and was late for work when we first got them!  Stick out tongue 
  • Options

I bought the blackout curtains from target that you add on to your current curtain.  It was very simple, just pin them on and your curtain works the same. 

The room is VERY dark, which is perfect for my husband who works over night!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I bought Eclipse brand curtains at Target.  The 100% blackout Eclipse curtains from Target work great.  The 97% blackout Eclipse curtains from Target also darken the room, but definitely not like the 100% ones.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We just bought from Lowes their Levolor celluar shade, LOVE IT!! It makes the room so dark! With a press of a button it goes back up in a sinch! During the day i shut it half way so its not so dark. My dd goes to bed early so i need it for night time.

Totally reccomend it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"