Missouri Babies
Options

Possible relocation to KC

Hi all!  I currently live in Northern Colorado but DH recently interviewed for a job in KC and it looks like they're going to offer it to him.  (once they get the signatures on some new projects so truthfully we have no idea on a time line for this)  

We don't know for sure that he would accept the position b/c they haven't talked salary, benefits, etc yet but I wanted to see if you all could give me a feel for different areas there.  We have 2 young kids and our top priority is being in a good school district.  Other than that, we are a really eco-friendly family.  We're raising our kids vegetarian and follow a lot of the attachment parenting ways to raise our kids.  I would love to live in an area with more like-minded families.  Does this even exist in KC?  

Thanks in advance!!!!  

Re: Possible relocation to KC

• Options
    Lots of like minded people...if they exist in the same area as a good public school system that is the question. Is the company based on the MO side or the KS side?
  • Options
    It's on the Missouri side...  Holmes and I-435.  We actually do have one limitation...  we have a pit bull terrier mix dog so we are somewhat limited.  I was sort of seeking recommendations without that.  If people only recommend places that have BSL (breed specific legislation), then it would be a big red flag that maybe we shouldn't move there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not positive, but I think KC does have a restriction against pits. but there's ways to research that. I live up north in KC, MO and most apartments have that restriction...

that being said, I don't know anyone around me who follows the vegeterian/AP lifestyle. Lee Summit is a good, upscale district south of here, and may have a larger following of that lifestyle from what I've heard.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    imageAshleyMichelle06:

I'm not positive, but I think KC does have a restriction against pits. but there's ways to research that. I live up north in KC, MO and most apartments have that restriction...

that being said, I don't know anyone around me who follows the vegeterian/AP lifestyle. Lee Summit is a good, upscale district south of here, and may have a larger following of that lifestyle from what I've heard.

We have actually been looking into Lees Summit.  It looks like home prices are reasonable there and the schools look good.  I am encouraged that there is a cloth diaper store there.  Are there any negatives to living there? 

• Options
    We live in Lees Summit and really love it. I don't know about the vegetarian/AP lifestyle but the schools are wonderful and it has a very good family feeling. As far as I know, there is no ban on pit bulls but you might want to do more research on that. My husband works in Overland Park which is within 5-10 minutes of where your husband's company is and his drive is reasonable, about 20-45 minutes depending on traffic.
    The other MO suburb you could look into would be Blue Springs but it would be a much further drive to work. Let me know if you have any specific questions about Lees Summit!
  • Options
    We live very close to the area where your husband would be working - it's called Red Bridge. The local elementary school is good, and there are lots of good private schools. No need to move out to Lee's Summit and make that commute every day. We love our neighborhood and have a great sitter. If you have the budget for it ($220k plus) I would suggest looking for homes in the Verona Hills neighborhood. That's between Wornall and State Line. It's very nice and family friendly. They have a park that we frequent.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    cerad5cerad5 member
    I live in Lee's Summit, there is a cloth diaper and all over holistic baby store in downtown Lee's Summit. There is a huge following and Mom's groups that meet at that store to support breastfeeding and AP lifestyle. I have seen the flyers. I love Lee's Summit, the schools are great, it's a great little community to raise a family.
    DD 12/1/2009
    TTC#2 Since May 2012
    Dx PCOS February 2013 on Metformin 1500 mg
    Met with RE October 2013, we've got a plan!
    Surprise BFP on "break cycle" 10/12/13. EDD 6/17/14.
    MMC discovered 11/25/13 at 10 weeks. D&C 11/27/13.
    BFP 2/8/14 Beta#1: 176, Prog 18! Beta#2:335, Prog, 19.5!
    EDD 10/16/2014

• Options
    Thanks for the info everyone!  DH plans on accepting a job here but we are likely going to try to move out there in a couple of years.  I actually have a lot of family there but I wanted some unbiased opinions.  My family lives in OP and I think there are a lot of misconceptions about MO. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"