Postpartum Depression
Options

Can't make the call

This is so stupid. I know there is something wrong. I know I need help. But every time I call and the receptionist answers I can't speak and I just hang up.

Why is this so difficult?! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Can't make the call

• Options

For so many different reasons.

It is hard, it is. Does your doc have email? Can you have your husband or someone else call? 

If not, you can do it. You are already taking the first step, acknowledging you need help.

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options

I hope this can give you some encouragement:

When I called my OB office to ask for a PPD appointment, it went way better than I expected.   They really knew how to handle it.  Like always, they took my name and birthdate (to pull up the right person), then asked for the reason of the visit.  When I said PPD, there were no follow up questions, there was no sympathy (sincere or faked), there was just an appointment time given to me. And that was it.  Keeping it short helped me from crying over the phone.  And the first appointment itself : It was with my OB, and I cried A LOT. But he was very understanding, very encouraging.  And at the end of the appointment (which was just us talking in his office), he left and told me I could leave whenever I was ready - no need to check out.  So I collected myself, threw away the pile of tissues I had gone through, and went home.

A good doctor's office will know how emotionally sensative a PPD patient is, and should do everything to minimize feeling judged and maximize your comfort to share honestly.

I know it's hard, but you can do it!  Do it for your sweet baby, for your family, but most importantly for yourself!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

it is very hard.... I remember making that call. I remember where I was and how long it had taken me. This is something you have to do. it will take no more than 5 minutes. If you can, pretend you're someone else (i seriously did this), call up, ask for an appt with dr x. when they ask what its for, say you think you have ppd. They will most likely fit you in asap.

For me, that phone call was definitely the hardest part. But it has paid off. I got help after dd#1, and with dd #2, the dr just asked if I wanted to go on zoloft immediately after the birth. I did. It was well worth it!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had it right after giving birth. I had an emergency C-section when Emrys was born, and I flipped out when I woke up from the anesthesia. I said all kinds f horrible things, and I was so depressed that they immediately put me on medication, nd I was in the hospital for 5 days. I am now pregnant again, and my son is only almost 6 months old. This is another unplanned pregnancy, but I feel differently about this one. I still have postpartum depression, and they are going to have to adjust my medication to accommodate. I know it's scary and nerve wracking to get help because there are so many emotions on the fritz, but trust me when I say that you will feel that much better after the call is made.
  • Options

Please call. I wish I had called sooner. I started medicine yesterday and I've known I had PPD since February. I've spent ten months trying to "shake it off" and hope I could change it myself. I promise you the anticipation of making the call is worse than actually doing it. You will feel so relieved as soon as you book that appointment.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"