Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Where to buy safe sand? (XP from MM)

We are getting ready to set-up DS's sand table and I want to buy non-toxic sand for him.  Can anyone recommend a store or site for safe sand?  I have found safesand.com, but I can't afford to spend that much so I'm hoping to find something a bit more cost effective.  TIA!

Re: Where to buy safe sand? (XP from MM)

• Options
    When I was a kid I remember my dad buying sandbox sand at the hardware store.  They had bags of it specifically for sandboxes.  I don't know anything about the toxicity or if it was just cleaner or what.  Is normal sand toxic somehow? 
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Safe sand?  Never heard of such a thing.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    They sell "play sand" at Toys R Us. and I'm pretty sure at Home Depot & Lowes also. I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to as being "safe".

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Home Depot or Lowes has "sugar sand", which is very fine grained and what we use for our sandbox!
  • Options

I mentioned buying "safe sand" to my DH and he said he saw it at Home Depot.  But to be honest, I'm really not sure that he knows there really is such a thing as low toxicity, silica free sand.  He might just think I meant "clean sand" as opposed to buying it from a landscaping or construction supplier.  He might assume "safe sand" means the bagged sand they sell for sand boxes.

• Options

For those who are wondering what "safe sand" means, it means sand that is free of crystaline silica.  I have heard that the sand at Home Depot contains crystaline silica and I can confirm after a visit to Lowe's that their sand also contains this. 

In short, the crystaline silica can pose certain health risks when the dust is inhaled.  I checked out the MSDS for the sand they sell at Lowe's and do not feel comfortable with my child playing in it.  Safe sand is generally a lot more expensive, but my DS will be playing with it a lot for a number of years so I'd rather be safe than sorry. 

• Options
    Is there a local small hardware store that might be able to order it for you? Sometimes smaller stores are able to do this. Otherwise, you probably have to order it online if you found it somewhere. Though I imagine 100 lbs. of sand might be pricey to ship....but it might be the only way?
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've heard of people using rice instead of sand.
    imageimage

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

• Options
    I just looked and found some on amazon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"