Secondary IF
Options

**CHI-O6**

Hi there, I have acouple questions to ask you if you do not mind and if anyone else is reading and knows the answers I appreciate that too. 

Well... we have been trying for 2 years and IUI's have not been working and we just had a m/c in March, I believe you just went through one too.  Anyways, RE is suggesting that we think IVF.  Is that the same as FET?  I see that is what you have on yours and some other people and I guess I am not sure what that stands for.  Also, did your insurance cover any of it?  How much should I expect out-of-pocket if we are thinking IVF. 

I still have 5 more days to be expecting AF, but I am sure she is coming, I have no pg symptoms and creamy d/c with a hint of brown in it.  Sorry for the details, I just had a break down last night.  I am usually a very strong person, but am starting to struggle with all this now.

Thanks for your time!!!!

Alyssa born 6/14/05 at 8 lbs 2oz - Ashley born 3/27/10 at 6 lbs 13oz
We had 2 years of IF trying to conceive #2 and one loss during that time. We are currently trying for #3! had another loss the end of June
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: **CHI-O6**

• Options
    CHI-06CHI-06 member

Hello!  FET stands for frozen egg transfer.  I ended up doing IVF to get pregnant with my daughter.  We had 5 embryos frozen from that cycle.  We transfered one back in March which I m/c in April.  Then we transferred two in June and I am now pregnant with one.

When ttc#1 I did many rounds of Clomid and did back to back IUI's too.  Then we tried injectables and IUI... but for me the injectables over stimulated me so the RE was concerned about high order multiples with IUI.  So we ended up going to IVF where it is much more controlled.

IVF is much more involved though then just doing an IUI cycle.  There are many different protocols doctors follow but this is what I did... BCP for 3 weeks, then lupron shots started (help supress your body ovulating on it's own).  Then I started the shots to stimulate my ovaries.  I was then going in regularly to be monitored and watch the follicles grow.  Once they were large enough we scheduled an egg retrieval.  They put you under and remove all the mature eggs that they can.  Then you leave and they meet the sperm... the next day they call with a fertilization report and a decision most likely on 3 or 5 day transfer.  The transfer itself is really pretty much the same as an IUI.  The whole thing is just harder on your body because they are trying to stimualte you to create many large follicles...which can get uncomfortable....but it is all so worth it!  and if you're lucky enough to have some to freeze I gotta say it makes trying for more kids way easier than started the whole IF struggle cycles again... and FET cycles are way easier than the full IVF.

Sorry this is getting so long...  so about cost.  I am sure your clinic could give you an estimate as I'm sure it varies.  IVF at my clinic is a minimum of $10,000 (plus meds).  My frozen cycles are more like $3000 (plus meds).  My insurance covers some of the costs...I have a lifetime cap on what they will pay towards too.  Do you have IF coverage for your IUI's?  For me it doesn't matter what it is IF wise...insurance just covers a set amount over my lifetime which could be Clomid, IUI's, IVF whatever...

Honestly, when the RE first brought up IVF to me I was kinda sad about being at that point...it just seemed scary to me and I didn't picture myself ever being there.  We both had a hard time with the decision.  Mainly over creating embryos that could be discarded...  We ultimately did what we thought was right and what we thought would get us the family we always wanted.  It was totally worth it!!!!

Let me know if you have any other questions at all!!!!  But hopefully you are just totally wrong about this cycle and will get a pleasant surprise!!!

Best of luck!

Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • Options

Thank you so much for all your help.  I now know what FET is!!!!  Anyways, I will probably test tomorrow and then call my insurance.  I have a 20,000 lifetime IF coverage, but I am not sure what that means when it comes to IVF.

Is there any pain to this?  I know you said that they put you under to retrive eggs and then when they insert them you said it is like an IUI correct? 

I will also have to talk to my Re, because I wonder how soon we can do this if this is what we decide to do, and maybe we will get good news tomorrow, but I highly doubt it. 

This is just becoming crazy fast.  Again thanks for everything!!!   

We had 2 years of IF trying to conceive #2 and one loss during that time. We are currently trying for #3! had another loss the end of June
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just wanted to say goodluck with everything tomorrow..
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options
    CHI-06CHI-06 member

I have $15,000 lifetime IF coverage through BCBS and it includes IVF too.  I still ended up paying quite a bit though since they don't cover 100% of anything...

Pain?  Not really....I mean it got pretty uncomfortable having 20+ follicles growing in there... but not painful.  The retrieval is not painful since you're out for it.  A little sore afterwards but not bad at all...I honestly was most afraid of being put under!  The transfer is like an IUI...easy and fast. 

The nice thing about it is the whole cycle is completely manipulated so you don't have to wait until your next AF or anything... and they can plan your cycle around days you may have vacation or whatever.  They can't tell you what your retrieval or transfer date is though...only an estimate.  So getting the time off at work is tricky.  Plus all of the monitoring appts...I had to talk to my boss and tell her I was having some medical issues and would be scheduling a lot of appts. 

Good luck and let me know how your testing goes too!

• Options
    Well, I called my ins. and I have met my deduct and I have 20,000 lifetime for IF.  They said they would pay 80% and me 20% so if it would be approx. 10,000 dollars, I would pay approx. 1900 and I would say it would end up a little more.  So hopefully we get a positive, but if it is negative we are going to visit with the RE and go for it.  It helps that DH is on board and lets try to get it done.  They only thing is if we do this I would like to do it ASAP, so I am not sure how long the process is to get to the point of putting the eggs in.
  • Options
    CHI-06CHI-06 member

That is exactly how mine is...we pay 20%.  Save those receipts for your accountant though! 

Well since you're with an RE already you shouldn't need any tests to get started I wouldn't think... you would set up a consult and probably start on BCP right away.  For me my IVF/FET cycles have been about 6 weeks including the time on the pill. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"