Parenting
Options

Leaving your car running while you drop off kids in daycare?

Does anyone have an idea of why 2 different dads at my daycare leave their cars running in the driveway of our daycare provider's house when they bring their kids in?  It doesn't matter if it's the winter or the summer or the time of day.  They don't have anyone else (or animals) in the car.

I hate that they do it, plus it's illegal in my state.  But, I'm trying to guess their reasoning.

Re: Leaving your car running while you drop off kids in daycare?

• Options

A lot of the parents at my DD's daycare do it too.

I never do, I'm always scared of making the phone call to DH saying "the car was stolen"

• Options

because it wastes more gas restarting your car than to just leave it run?

That's my guess.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    dpdwdpdw member
    imagexbrooklyngrl:

A lot of the parents at my DD's daycare do it too.

I never do, I'm always scared of making the phone call to DH saying "the car was stolen"

Why do they do it??  That's what I'm trying to figure out. 

• Options
    Obviously to save the extreme effort it takes to start the car!  LOL :)  I have no idea...
  • Options
    I guess to leave the AC/Heat on? Lazy? I don't know
  • Options

Parents at my daycare do this too. So stupid..

Yesterday I saw a car running with the windows rolled down and an open purse on the front seat.

• Options

Not sure why, but here (in WI) it's illegal to leave your car running in a daycare parking lot.  Not only could the parent get a ticket from the police, but the center could get written up (and maybe fined?)  from their lisencing agent for it. 

I work in a center, and every winter we post bright neon green signs so no one can miss them, but sure enough we end up telling & retelling some parents to please shut their car off...

~Melissa~ married to Cris 08.13.04 mom to Tyler 01.12.07 donate to my cause
  • Options
    lots of people do it at my daycare center.  its  small town ehre - they leave their car running while they run into the gas station for coffee in the morning.
    mom to Noel 3.17.07 Morgan 4.9.08 Taylor 10.27.10 Baby #4 Due in July mc 2.3.06
  • Options

My older DS goes to a daycare center and I always turn the car off, but my younger DS goes to my parents or inlaws and I always leave the car running in the driveway. No idea why I do this.

• Options

I'd never do it, but I've seen the occasional car at daycare with the engine running.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"