Baby Names
Options

*ENTER FREAKOUT*

My mom calls me. I missed her call. I call her back.

"Don't torture your sister." is the first thing she says.

"What?" I asked, confused, considering I haven't even talked to her in a week and have no idea what I did to torture her.

Apparently, she showed me a list of names she liked 4 months ago, and Paige was what she wanted to name her (not even conceived) future baby, and that she called my mom crying about it.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??!?!

1. I do not remember that at all. In no way did I purposely choose Paige to annoy her.

2. I have a journal with a page dedicated to names I like, and could be for potential children. I've had this page for about 10 years. I've not added to the list since I've been married (aka 1.5 years ago). If ANYTHING, *I* should get dibs on the name since I wrote it down first! She can't say that every name on her list (from apparently 4 months ago, that I don't even remember) is off limits for me!! If she could, then every name I had written down would be off limits for her, and Paige was on my list first.

BAH!!!! I have no idea what to do. There's very little chance she'd give in to the name and be nice and let me have it (considering I'm the one who's pregnant). She's just not like that. And it's not like I want to name my baby in such a way that it causes an eternal fight between my sister and I.

What do I do?!?!?!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
imageimage
imageimage

Re: *ENTER FREAKOUT*

• Options

You're the pregnant one. You get first choice on the name.

Sucks for your sister..but that's the way of the world.

That said, you're only 13 weeks..what's not to say you won't change your mind 6 times before then? I know I change my mind about every 2 weeks lately.

And stop sharing baby names with your sister. She can't do much about it if the kid comes out with a name she "wanted."

• Options
    imagedairygirl19:

You're the pregnant one. You get first choice on the name.

Sucks for your sister..but that's the way of the world.

That said, you're only 13 weeks..what's not to say you won't change your mind 6 times before then? I know I change my mind about every 2 weeks lately.

And stop sharing baby names with your sister. She can't do much about it if the kid comes out with a name she "wanted."

Thanks. You're right that I'm only 13 weeks and could change my mind 100 times by birth. But, Paige honestly is the only name my husband and I have agreed on and that I truly love.

Yeah, bad idea to share baby names with my sister. The thing is that I don't even remember her sharing those names with me. :S

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First come first served!

Plus I see no issues with cousins having the same name.  I know two Taylors who are cousins (ones a boy, ones a girl) they are only two weeks apart in age, too.  They have no problems with it and actually liked their special connection growing up.

• Options

Um. Your sister is going to have to deal with it. You're pregnant. She's not. She can be an adult and move on, or she can be a child and go and tattle. Like she did.

And also - your mom should have said (as my mom would have) well, when you're pregnant you'll get to choose the name for your child. Until then, you can't call "dibs."

I'm angry on your behalf.

and also - yes, you could change your mind a million times. Do it without worry about what other people think. After all, your sister could have 5 boys and then it wouldn't matter if she'd come out of the womb wanting to name her daughter Paige.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks guys :)
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Um lame!  I find it so annoying people "claim" a long list of names when they're not even trying yet.. or even pregnant.  I told my gfs they're allowed to claim ONE name and that's it.  It's B.S. that 10-15 names is off limits. 
  • Options

I agree that no one can claim a name. However, being 13 weeks..how do you know it's a girl? You very well could be having a boy and all this is for nothing.

I'd do nothing until you find out. And if you aren't finding out then decide if you want to stake your claim or have it be a bone of contention for ever. Personally, I'd use it! You're pregnant NOW - you get to use whatever name you choose.

• Options
    imagerumpunch21:

I agree that no one can claim a name. However, being 13 weeks..how do you know it's a girl? You very well could be having a boy and all this is for nothing.

Yeah, you're right that I dont know it's a girl. It's just a hunch. And we are considering boy names too, but it was this girl's name that brought up the thing with my sister.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

Your sister needs to grow up. She's not even pregnant. Just because you're considering Paige right now, that doesn't mean 20 weeks from now you will still love it. And if you do, tough sh!t for her. There are millions of names out there. I'm sure she'll find another one she can "claim." 

Blank!
  • Options
    LMS05LMS05 member
    I think your sister is ridiculous, but I'm a pushover so I'd pick another name. Family comes first in my book and I love so many names that it wouldn't be too much of an issue for me. Just my two cents.?
  • Options

You do absolutely nothing, dear. Your sister needs to grow up and get over it. She is not the first person ever to think of Paige. You have nothing to apologize for, and you should keep it if that is what YOU want.

Also, your mom should be informed that this problem is not, in fact, torture.?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Name her Paige. Your sister will realize she's being unreasonable (it may take a while, but she eventually will).?
  • Options
    Paige is NMS, but you should be able to use it if that's the girl name you love. It's not like it's a crazy obscure name that you would have only ever heard from her list. It's been in the top 100 most popular names for almost 20 years. Your sister can get over it. It MIGHT have been a different circumstance if she were also pregnant, but she's not, so that's life.
  • Options

Your sis needs to grow up and get over it.

I also agree that there's no law against cousins having the same name.  If it means so much to her, she too can name her daughter Paige.  It's quite common in some cultures (Greek) to have cousins with the same names, as they are often named after their grandparents. 

• Options
    Use whatever name you want. I doubt it would cause an "eternal fight."
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"