Special Needs
Options

anyone DC use Periactin or other appetite stimulant?

My DD will be 3 yr old this July and has been having FTT issues for over 2 years. She finally reached 21 lbs this month with the help of Periactin.  It seemed to really help with her appetite but lately her appetite isn't as strong.  We did 3 wks on Periactin with a wk off as prescribed by her GI. Unfortunately, her GI is on maternity leave and her dietician quit right after we started the Rx.  I haven't had any responses back after leaving a message but we have a follow-up appt next month. 

Just curious what other experiences have been like with this type of prescription.   Also, if you've already weaned off it, how was your DC"s appetite?

Thanks!

Re: anyone DC use Periactin or other appetite stimulant?

• Options

DD was on Periactin for a while.  Unfortunately, she had a sort of allergic reaction to it (she would get really itchy) and would be a zombie, so we could only have her on a dose for three or four days and then take four or five days off.  We were prescribed to give her two doses, 12 hours apart consistently.  Like I mentioned, we couldn't  do a consistent dose but luckily our unique dosing was successful for her for a little while. But, like your child, DD definately had ups and downs with her appetite despite the med. It was almost like she built a tolerance to it, which I'm not sure is possible, but that's how it seemed.  On her good days she was up to 20 ounces a day of 40 calorie/ounce formula.  This helped her gain a pound in a week but then tapered off from there. 

I do remember my GI stating that for the med to be really successful that a consistent daily dosing is recommended, however, of course, I wouldn't want you to not follow your GI's orders.  Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Options
    We usually recommend cycling on and off the periactin (3 weeks on, 1 week off is reasonable) as it seems to retain the effect better. ?That varies from child to child, and your GI doc will know best what to recommend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"