Breastfeeding
Options

does your insurance cover renting/buying a pump?

Just curious if this is common?

Re: does your insurance cover renting/buying a pump?

• Options
    My insurance covered buying the pump ( they covered the PISA ) but my OB needed to write a RX for it.
  • Options
    Ours did. We just had to ask OB to write a prescription. We only had to pay $50 for the Medela PIS. We were SO happy!
    DD 4yo DS 1yo
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No ours did not. only if she was in the hospital NICU they would cover the cost of the rental for that period.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My insurance (Kaiser) covers the rental of a hospital grade pump for one month.  After that, I pay the rental fee.
  • Options
    From what I've heard, blue cross blue shield (at least in MA) covers $500 for a pump - either rented from the hospital or one you buy
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerimageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have BCBS Alliance Select and only had to pay 10% of the total cost for my PISA.  I am always telling pregnant ladies to check with their insurance if they plan to breastfeed because more and more companies are covering pumps. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My insurance (bcbc michigan) covered the PISA.  We were very happy!  I also needed a rx from the doc which was not a problem.
  • Options
    Yes. My Insurance covered it in full. The hospital Lactation Consultants handled the whole process for me. It was a great surprise...I was planning to buy one myself.
  • Options

imageChoco80:
    From what I've heard, blue cross blue shield (at least in MA) covers $500 for a pump - either rented from the hospital or one you buy

I have BCBSMA and they only cover a pump if it is medically necessary... so the doc needs to write a script and then they cover a medela pump.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    my insurance di not cover anything..
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    no, they don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"