Breastfeeding

does your insurance cover renting/buying a pump?

Just curious if this is common?

Re: does your insurance cover renting/buying a pump?

• My insurance covered buying the pump ( they covered the PISA ) but my OB needed to write a RX for it.
  • Ours did. We just had to ask OB to write a prescription. We only had to pay $50 for the Medela PIS. We were SO happy!
    DD 4yo DS 1yo
  • Loading the player...
  • No ours did not. only if she was in the hospital NICU they would cover the cost of the rental for that period.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My insurance (Kaiser) covers the rental of a hospital grade pump for one month.  After that, I pay the rental fee.
  • From what I've heard, blue cross blue shield (at least in MA) covers $500 for a pump - either rented from the hospital or one you buy
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerimageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I have BCBS Alliance Select and only had to pay 10% of the total cost for my PISA.  I am always telling pregnant ladies to check with their insurance if they plan to breastfeed because more and more companies are covering pumps. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My insurance (bcbc michigan) covered the PISA.  We were very happy!  I also needed a rx from the doc which was not a problem.
  • Yes. My Insurance covered it in full. The hospital Lactation Consultants handled the whole process for me. It was a great surprise...I was planning to buy one myself.
  • imageChoco80:
    From what I've heard, blue cross blue shield (at least in MA) covers $500 for a pump - either rented from the hospital or one you buy

I have BCBSMA and they only cover a pump if it is medically necessary... so the doc needs to write a script and then they cover a medela pump.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • my insurance di not cover anything..
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"