D.C. Area Babies
Options

Failed 1 hour...

So, I just got the news that I failed the one hour glucose tolerance test and have to go in for the 3 hour.  What bad timing right at Thanksgiving!  I am going in on Wednesday morning. I've heard various things about eating extra carbs the three days before the test (though that doesn't make sense to me). 

If anyone else failed, did you do anything to prepare? Did you do the special diet? I was so careful to eat healthfully before the 1 hour test!

Sigh...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Failed 1 hour...

• Options

I failed the one hour and I was marginal on the three hour.  They put me on the special diet.  I had to test my blood four times a day. I was upset about it at first, but as my pregnancy progressed and I tested my blood, I became convinced-based on my numbers, that I did have GD.  I have a healthy baby and my pregnancy in retrospect, was healthier after I went on the diet.  I didn't try to play games to pass the test and I honestly wouldn't recommend doing that.  If you have GD, follow the diet.  It's better for you and the baby and honestly isn't that big of a deal.  Trying to cheat the test so you don't have to do the diet isn't the best thing for you or the baby,.

Good luck!  I hope you don't have GD.  It's a nuisance to have it, but you don't have to live with the diet for that long and it's worth it to have a healthy baby. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Good question, and good response.  I failed my one hour and passed my 3 hour when pg with #1.  I have my one hour on Wednesday for this pregnancy, and I don't think I'm going to do any "preparing" because I want the results to be accurate and true.  Doing the 3 hour is a pain in the neck, but hey, it's all to find out if you should be eating differently.... and in the end it's to see what's best for your baby.
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

After I failed my one hour my class instructor suggested laying off all the fruit I was eating for snacks and trying to eat more veggies.  So instead of bringing watermelon, cataloupe etc for snacks, I brought cut up peppers, celery and carrot sticks in a baggie to work.  Every Sunday night I would buy enough for the week, cut it up and dole it out to 5 baggies for each day of work.  I also stopped drinking as much juice and just went for the water.  So I guess I was really decreasing my carbs in case I ended up having GD anyway.

I did pass my 3 hour but I also only failed my one hour by one point.   Lots of people fail the one hour and pass the three hour though so there is hope.  Good luck!

• Options

Thank you so much!  You all really helped put things into perspective and I feel a lot better than I did earlier in the day.  It's funny - working with kids with diabetes and kids with weight problems I do so much of the "you should eat healthfully no matter what - it shouldn't matter if you have diabetes, etc." lecture that I really should learn to follow my own advice!!!

You ladies are the best...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Good luck!  Lots of people fail the 1 hour test but pass the 3 hour test.

Don't try to fool around with your food though.  You wouldn't want to pass mistakenly pass the 3 hour test but actually have GD!

I had borderline GD.  It was initially difficult to follow the diet, but I found that because I spent so much time on my feet and walking around at my job, I actually didn't have to worry too much about it.  I actually kept getting really low blood sugar because I wasn't eating enough!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"