Maine Babies

kind of flat head

DS went to the pedi and he commented on how his head is getting flat and that we need to ?do more tummy time. We've been trying but everytime you put DS down on his tummy, he goes to sleep. I don't want him to have a funky shaped head and it's starting to give me a complex. Anyone else going through this, how do we fix the flattening that's already happen? Will it round back out on it's own or will he have to have some sort of help with that?

Re: kind of flat head

• I actually brought this up to our doctor at her 2 month appointment last week.  In addition to having a flat head he diagnosed her with torticollis which has sent us to a physical therapist to correct.  With regards to the flat head, he said to really push tummy time and to keep her upright as much as we can whenever she isn't sleeping.  He recommended very limited use of things like swings and bouncy seats that put additional pressure on the back of their head.  He also said to rotate her head to the unflattened side after she falls asleep.  I don't know if that helps you or not.  Believe me, I am completely freaking out about the flat head and the torticollis.
  • I'm in the same boat as mrsk2005--DD has torticollis and a flatter side to her head.  DD was breech so it's more of a flat side to her head rather than flattening in the back from laying on her back...she has a preference when she turns her head and wants to turn it toward the left only.  We saw an occupational therapist for the torticollis and do neck exercises/stretches and extra tummy time for that. 

For her head, we move her toys/adjust her position to keep her off that side as much as possible (extra tummy time helps here too).  Keeping her off of that side seems to have helped because I think her head looks a little bit better.  We'll see what the pedi says at her next appointment though.  

I hear you on it starting to give you a complex.  DD's head has been asymmetrical since birth and family members have commented on it since then...I know they didn't mean anything by it and/or were trying to help, but I didn't like it.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"