Working Moms
Options

How much do you pay for Daycare?

How much do you pay for daycare and what kind of daycare is it (center, home, nanny etc..)? I am thinking of offering to watch one or two kids between 12-24 months during the day, but I don't know how much to charge. My daughter would be the only other child here (16 months old). Should I supply lunch/snacks or would the parents bring that?

ETA: I can't get that to un-bold for whatever reason.. :-/

Re: How much do you pay for Daycare?

• Options
    I pay $30/day for in-home licensed daycare. This is the price for infants and older children, although I heard some providers charge $35/day+ for infants since they're "more work". They will supply the food once LO is older. 
  • Options
    jd614jd614 member
    Where are you from ? Day cares in northern nj are over 2k. Nannies are anywhere from 1220 per hr all for one child . The only reason I'd be hesitant about supplying food is because of all the food allergies these days. But that's totally up to you / the parent. I would probably send my son with his own food ..
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is going to depend greatly on where you live. You need to find out what other in home day cares in your area charge. We live in a MCOL area and I've heard that in homes cost about 150/week here. I think providing food if its healthy is a definite plus. I have to pack food everyday and its a real pain. I would expect the other parents to provide their own diapers. You may also want them to provide carseats if you plan on taking the kids places, likes playgrounds, library, etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In our area in home DCP's average about 175 to 200 per week. But they are licensed and monitored by our county. Most provide meals and snacks.

If you only want one or two kids in that specific age range you could probably get hired as a nanny to a family that lets you bring your LO along. It wouldn't be in your own home though.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    Live in Michigan, we pay $42/day for a licensed in-home day care. We only go two days per week, but their weekly rate is $170. No discount for multiple children, all food (except baby formula/baby food) is provided. She also follows a structured pre-school program during the school year that provides the educational piece. We were in a day care center and it was $55/day with the same deal as far as food goes. We do have to bring our own diapers but wipes and everything else is included.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We pay $1700 for a center in a VHCOL area. In homes run about $800-$1000/month, and nannies.. nannies are ridiculous. 

Our center provides wipes and whole milk once they start drinking it. We provide diapers and any snacks or food once they're ready for it. Our center is also open from 6AM-6PM, which was really the selling point for us. We had found a home daycare we liked, but hours were 8AM-5:30PM, which meant DH couldn't drop her off in the morning, and if I were doing drop off and pickup, that really cuts into work hours. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagekalette:

How much do you pay for daycare and what kind of daycare is it (center, home, nanny etc..)? I am thinking of offering to watch one or two kids between 12-24 months during the day, but I don't know how much to charge. My daughter would be the only other child here (16 months old). Should I supply lunch/snacks or would the parents bring that?

ETA: I can't get that to un-bold for whatever reason.. :-/

We pay $140/wk. at the most, we live in Iowa - so it's very cheap here at $3/hr. for in-home provider daycare provider.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We pay $150/week for our center.  It's on a military base, so we get a bit of a discount.  We also live in a low to middle cost of living area.  Our daycare provides excellent balanced meals daily.  I love that aspect.  Nothing is nut or shellfish based and there are nurses assigned to each building in our center.  They also have a great preschool curriculum. 

In home around here is about $250/week from what I've seen.  If I was paying for in home, I would expect it in my own home though.  And I would not choose someone who would cut us off at 24 months.  I would want continuity for years until she goes to school. 

• Options
    We paid $300/week for a licensed in-home provider in a HCOL area.  She provided milk/food, parents only provided diapers and wipes (once kids were done with BM/formula).
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Our daycare is $200/wk for infant in a licensed in home daycare. It goes to $180/wk for toddlers. She provides all the food according to the food program guidelines.

However if I was paying someone who was unlicensed and watching their own child, I wouldn't expect to pay that much. I pay knowing that she is licensed and has random inspections, I can see her history through the EEC website and if there were any complaints, she has a degree in early education and she follows a curriculum. 

I would not be comfortable with anyone driving my child. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options
    SoMoNYSoMoNY member

In total I pay $2k a month

$1600 a month for nanny and $400 for school that is 9-12:30 4x a week.

• Options

Day care center

$140  a week or

$30 dollars a day for drop in. 

They supply lunch, drinks etc

When LO was younger, I supplied BM and baby food only because i was picky. Now i let him eat their food.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options

Daycare center - $1,860/month, then it drops down to $1,600 once the baby is over one year old.  It is considered one of the most expensive in the city (HCOL), they supply lunch and two snacks, and includes a music class taught by an outside studio twice a week.

I think the average for DC in our city is around $1,200 - $1,300; in-home (licensed) centers are around $1,000 - $1,2000; and non-licensed ones are around $1,000.

You could also try and find a nanny position where they let you bring your child.  My neighbour did that and paid their nanny (who brought along a one year old) $12/hour.

• Options
    And I would offer to provide lunch and snacks.  Unless the child has allergies, you'd be making food for your LO anyhow, so may as well do it for both kids.
  • Options

$425/ week

Almost 1 year old and almost 3 year old.  Three days a week.  Fairly HCOL area.  They supply food.  I send formula for the baby but that will end once he turns 1 next month.

BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • Options
    DaceyDacey member

I will be paying $160/week for an in-home daycare, which is the typical rate where I live.  It may be a good idea to do a little research into what caregivers in your area, with a similar setup, charge, since so much varies depending on the COL, competition, and availability of other options for care.

• Options
    We pay $25 a day for an in home daycare.  With our work schedules DD only goes Tues - Friday.  They provide all meals and wipes.  We just bring DD, Diapers, and an extra outfit.
    Husband and Wife 2010
    DD 12.2010
    TTC #2 Since Aug 2012
    DX PCOS 7.25.13
    Started Metformin 7.2013
    DH SA results 6.19.14 - Too few normal sperm
    8.13.14 - SURPRISE BFP - EDD 3/30/14 Based on LMP
    MMC 9/24/14, D&C 9/25/14 13w3d, Measured at 7w4d

3.14.15 BFP #3 - EDD 11/11/15 based on LMP
  • Options
    San Francisco
    Centers around 1800 to 2200 for the age range you mentioned
    In homes around 1500
    Nannies with valid licenses and experience around 20 an hour
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    skyejoskyejo member
    $240/week for the baby, $190/week for my 2 year old at a center with a preschool program. All food and milk is included. I would expect pay much less for an in home though I never priced it out.
  • Options

We pay $350 a week for infant care at a center in the northeast. That will drop to $275 when she moves up to the toddler room. We provide all food, diapers wipes etc.  They provide snacks in the toddler room, but due to my daughter's food allergies we'll be sending in our own.

This was actually one of the cheaper centers we found, because of its location (near my husbands office, fortunately for us!). I would expect to pay much much less to someone without a license or background in early childhood education, who would also be watching her own kid. 

• Options
    $2600 a month for a nanny. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

We're in a DC/Baltimore suburb (a very HCOL area) and pay a little under 3000 (1700 for the baby and 1200 for the 4 year old) for a full time licensed and accredited daycare/preschool.  They're open from 7am-6pm.   Snacks and drinks (milk and juice) are provided once they hit about 1 or so. 

I don't know what the going rate is for in house daycare, but I do know it's a lot less. 

• Options

I'm in HCOL area (so. CA), and pay $175 per week for a licensed in home daycare.  She includes breakfast, lunch, snack and drinks (and her food program is also monitored and kept to standards, and is healthy stuff).... the only thing we have to provide is diapers/wipes....everything else is included. 

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Options
    We pay $230 per week. Infant care was $250. I live in Orlando and its only slightly higher than other centers but we love the one she goes to, worth it.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    2100 a month. Just outside of nyc
  • Options
    JJ_13JJ_13 member

MCOL; we pay $275/week for an unlicensed, but experienced (and above-board in terms of taxes, etc) in-home daycare. Our situation is unusual though. This is high for in-home in this area, but she is a gazillion times better than the DC center (where we were paying $1500/month) and our "nanny" (as we call her) only watches 2 children total, including our LO so it's almost like having a true nanny. I'm willing to pay the quality of care we are getting. I have to say, I would not pay this much to someone who was also watching their own kid. I realize that's kind of illogical, but it's just my gut.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"