October 2012 Moms
Options

Finger prick blood work

We had this done at our 9 month appointment.  Gray FREAKED OUT!  worse than the shots....I think becaues it's the prick and then they have to squeeze to fill the vile.  Well, a few days later they called to tell us the blood clotted so they couldn't test it.

Does anyone know what this test is for?  call me stupid, but I didn't even ask.

In other news, if anyone's ped does this and hasn't gotten it done yet, don't.  I had to go to Quest this morning to get it redone because the ped doesn't do "redo's" or something.  They took it directly from his arm like they would draw blood from an adult.  Althought sad and he still cried and I had to hold him down and try not to cry myself, it was way easier and quicker for him.  And he got a dum dum lollipop to suck on after  Wink  Anyway, the guy at Quest told me he doesn't know why they even do the finger prick because it almost always clots and they have babies in there all the time to get the blood work redone.  So maybe request an arm draw or ask if you can have it done at Quest if your ped is offering the prick draw.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Finger prick blood work

• Options

we had it done too

it's to test iron levels in the blood (hemeglobin and something else)

and in NYC at least they also need to test for lead.

we didn't have to do a second vial though 

• Options
    Wally3Wally3 member
    I would assume it is a CBC complete blood count checking red and white blood cells hemoglobin ect. Ds1 hates the finger prick more than shots.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    he did much better with shots too.  the finger prick is so bad because they have to squeeze so hard.  poor babies.  Next time I'm opting for going right to quest and having it drawn from a vein.  it was sad, but like I said was easier and he didn't cry as much
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

voila:

Most pediatricians recommend  some routine blood work to be done between the ages of 9 and 12 months of age. Often these tests include a hemoglobin level and a lead level. Hemoglobin is the part of your blood that carries oxygen throughout the body. Infants and children who do not have enough hemoglobin (a condition known as anemia) can suffer irritability, developmental delays and behavior problems. Young children are especially at risk for a type of anemia called iron-deficiency anemia, which is why it is recommended to check a hemoglobin level at this age. Your doctor may check your child?s hemoglobin as part of a complete blood count (CBC), which looks for other indicators of anemia.

Lead poisoning can cause headaches, constipation, hearing loss, behavioral problems and learning disabilities. Sometimes the symptoms of lead poisoning can be subtle and the only way to catch it is to check a blood lead level. Also, young children tend to put everything into their mouths, which increases their risk of lead exposure. Your pediatrician will likely ask you questions about risk factors and if your child has a lead risk, a blood test may be recommended. In some states and with some insurance it is required to check a lead level between 9 and 12 months. 

• Options
    Our appt was on Tuesday and they did a toe prick. Anna didn't even seem to notice, and only squirmed/kicked when the nurse was holding her foot still. Most of the time she was smiling and giggling at the other nurse making funny faces at her. I was expecting much worse.

View Full Size Image

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    DS had his last week to. Like PP it is to check iron levels. He didn't even squirm for it and just stared at the nurse with a WTF? look on his face.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We had to do the finger prick blood work at her 6 month apt.   She didn't cry at all, but they did say that the next age they do it that they will usually cry more.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Options
    just had it yesterday , DD didn't flinch.  it was for iron levels, our dr checked it on the spot it was a 1 minute response time
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"