VBAC

Need some quick advice....

jegoffinjegoffin member
Hey ladies, I lurk here often but mostly post on my BMB. Anyways, I am 39 weeks tomorrow with DD2. DD1 was a c section due to breech presentation. This entire pregnancy my OB and I have planned a VBAC. There was never any discussion or offer of a RCS....until today. I GBS positive and my baby is sunny side up. My OB offered to scheduler for a c section due to the risk of GBS and most likely a very long labor due to this being my first vaginal delivery, baby's poor position and the fact that she can't use all of her medications to augment my labor. Also, she really doesn't want to break my water in labor as the risk for infection increases. My friend lost a baby to GBS this January and I very aware of the risks. I very torn on this decision. I feel like a TOL is in my best interest and that a RCS is in my baby's best interest. Any insight?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need some quick advice....

• skioskio member

I disagree that RCS is best for your baby. Is that what your doc said? I feel like she presented you with a lot of scary assumptions to sway you in the direction of RCS, but none of those things seem concerning to me.

GBS isn't a risk unless your water breaks. For most people, water doesn't break until active labor, and your doc certainly shouldn't break it if you are GBS+. There's no reason to break it, even in labor. Babies are born en caul sometimes and it's perfectly safe. If your water breaks prior to active labor, then yes, it's a concern, and RCS at that point may be best for baby. But don't cross that bridge before you get to it.  

I recommend checking out spinningbabies.com for exercises to help baby get in a better position. And a chiropractic adjustment can work wonders. Also, during labor, move around a lot. Labor in all sorts of positions to help baby drop; ask your nurse for advice. 

I also disagree that you'll have a long labor because its your first vaginal delivery. You've never labored, so neither you nor your OB know how you'll labor; her assumption is premature and just an assumption. You may be someone who has super quick labors! And last thing, don't be thrown off by her saying she can't use all her magical medications to augment labor. I was HAPPY to hear that my OB wouldn't use pitocin to induce, and I wouldn't have allowed it even if he did. Pit makes contractions severe, which increases risk for VBACers. It's a good thing that she won't use induction drugs, IMO. 

You have to do what you feel is safest for you. There's no shame in RCS if that's what you feel I best. Trust your gut! But also do your own research and try not to be scared off by doc's guesses as to what may or may not be an issue. Lots of luck to you! 

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with skio.  Also, my midwife said that babies will often flip (posterior to anterior) during active labor, and not to worry too much about that.

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I forgot to include that I have been doing the spinning babies moves with no luck and I also have an anterior placenta which is preventing her from getting into the right position.
  • I'm glad skio wrote back, as I'm pretty sure she was able to labor a sunny side up baby to a 9 before getting to e hospital and birth her beautiful baby girl.

I had my VBAC in May, and was GBS+ and had my water break before active labor.  Potentially scary, but since my doctor never made a huge deal of it and we had never really discussed when I had to come in after breaking water, I dragged my feet for 12 hours and no one said anything to me about it when I got to the hospital.  I did have the penicillin drip every 4 hours as anticipated, but since I was contracting some then ended up letting me labor naturally until almost the 24 hour mark, and then started pitocin.  Because of the risks, I was open to the augmentation at that point.  I was able to go without any pain mess and had him 4 hours after starting the pitocin.  I was very pleasantly surprised with how supportive my hospital was about the process.  

And as a bonus for the whole water breaking thing, to reduce the risk of infection, I didn't have any checks after the initial one until I was in transition.  That was a great mental relief to not have to live up ti progressing on a schedule.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"