Two Under 2

those who have 2 + walkers

I'm a teacher so I've been home full-time, alone, for a little over a week now.  I'm just not sure what to do with two walkers.  I don't feel like it's fair to keep DS in the stroller all the time, but DD is not a great listener and isn't afraid to run off.  Today we tried the book store.  I reminded her she needs to stay with me and tell me if she wants to go somewhere else.  She did ok, but there are times, like when she needs to go to the bathroom, that she has very little patience.  DS obviously doesn't get that he needs to stay with us.  DD was playing at the block table, I wanted to get DS involved, but he was too interested in trying to run up and down the rows, meaning I'd have to leave DD alone to chase him. 

I'm afraid to try Chuck E Cheese, parks that aren't fenced in, indoor play areas where they will both want to be climbing around those bug jungle gym climbers, children's museums that don't allow strollers.

Do you just leave the younger one in the stroller?  I feel bad doing that because I've always brought DD out to do stuff and encouraged her to get involved in things, now I feel like I can't do that with DS if I want to keep everyone safe. 

Re: those who have 2 + walkers

• I am able to go places with my 2 kids fairly easily, although there are places I won't go by myself- like the pool or a crowded childrens museum.  DD is almost 3 and listens fairly well.  We can go to the playground and I follow around DS and just keep an eye out for DD.  I know she's not going to take off.  We can go to storytime and again I know DD will stay closeby.  Sometimes I will do playdates with my BFF and her 2 kids the same ages.  We tend to split up more 1 parent watches the 2 older ones and 1 watches the 2 younger kids, since they obviously have different interest levels. 

If I were you I'd stick to places you can comfortably be within eyeshot of both kids during the week.  Try to get your errands done during the week, so you can do bigger trips on the weekends with your DH.  You could also consider hiring a middle school or high school age mother's helper to accompany you on trips occassionally.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There were some places that DS just had to stay in the carrier or stroller - the bookstore would probably be one of those places for me.  Last summer I couldn't really go to the pool by myself (they were 2 and 1) and going somewhere like the crowded children's museum wasn't enjoyable.  This summer it's MUCH EASIER!  Hang in there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I drilled it in my kids heads at a very young age (before 2) how to walk with us. I'd go to places solely to practice walking and holding hands and/or staying close. I'd explain the rules, put kid Down. If kid ran, they went back in the cart. We'd repeat and leave enjoyable places for bad behavior which was very motivating. With my oldest it was easy since he is a rule follower by nature and had a very short lived phase of running of but it took much more time and much more practice with my youngest who was not only a runner but developmentally delayed. If you are consistent with the rules and follow through on leaving an activity for not following the rules your kids will learn. 
  • I turned "freeze!" into a game for my older DS.  I would practice at home and randomly say freeze and if he froze in place I would run over and tickle, kiss, and sometimes give him a treat.  We would turn on the music and dance and I'd turn it off fast and say freeze and we'd freeze.  Once it became a fun game for him I tried doing it at the park and it worked.  Now if he starts to run I can yell freeze and he'll stop, thinking we're playing a game.  Of course it doesn't always work but it has helped a few times. 

If we're out and he needs to burn extra energy (as DD slowly toddles along) I will say things like "how fast can you run to that light post and back, I'll time you!" and I'll count while he does it.  Or I'll say "I bet you can't hop/jump all the way to the next tree" which will slow him down too.   

image   image

• imageEMO-mamma:

I turned "freeze!" into a game for my older DS.  I would practice at home and randomly say freeze and if he froze in place I would run over and tickle, kiss, and sometimes give him a treat.  We would turn on the music and dance and I'd turn it off fast and say freeze and we'd freeze.  Once it became a fun game for him I tried doing it at the park and it worked.  Now if he starts to run I can yell freeze and he'll stop, thinking we're playing a game.  Of course it doesn't always work but it has helped a few times. 

If we're out and he needs to burn extra energy (as DD slowly toddles along) I will say things like "how fast can you run to that light post and back, I'll time you!" and I'll count while he does it.  Or I'll say "I bet you can't hop/jump all the way to the next tree" which will slow him down too.   

These are awesome ideas, I'm going to try them with my 2.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageEMO-mamma:

I turned "freeze!" into a game for my older DS.  I would practice at home and randomly say freeze and if he froze in place I would run over and tickle, kiss, and sometimes give him a treat.  We would turn on the music and dance and I'd turn it off fast and say freeze and we'd freeze.  Once it became a fun game for him I tried doing it at the park and it worked.  Now if he starts to run I can yell freeze and he'll stop, thinking we're playing a game.  Of course it doesn't always work but it has helped a few times. 

we did a similar game with my oldest too. If he runs too far ahead I say red light. He has to count to five which gives me time to catch up.  ill say green light and he can run a bit again.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"