May 2012 Moms
Options

reaction to the MMR vaccine

I went against my gut and allowed the pedi to give Sophia the MMR and the polio vaccine at her appt a week and a half ago. She's having an awful reaction to the MMR (she had no reaction to previous polio so I know it wasn't that one). I had thought about delaying the MMR since there was a higher risk of side effects. I'm kicking myself for giving it to her this early. After two days, she had the worst cold she's ever had: Fever, sneezing, coughing, red teary eyes, runny nose for about a week. Now she's got the rash the pedi said to look for, not only on her chest but on her back, legs and face.

She may have had the same reaction if I postponed it but maybe not. Lesson learned: I'm never second guessing my gut again and I am putting her on a delayed vaccine schedule from this point forward.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: reaction to the MMR vaccine

• Options
    I'm sorry she's having such a hard time. We're waiting until 2 years for that one, although I've been second guessing myself lately because there was a small measles outbreak in a nearby community. I hope your LO is feeling better soon!

• Options
    Sorry she's having such a hard time; hopefully she recovers soon! I've always had terrible vaccine reactions my entire life. I was so afraid DD would have the same issues, but I'm more worried about the actual illnesses than the reaction. She was lucky and didn't even so much as bruise from the needle. I hope she continues to avoid reactions.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemichyme123:
    imagewife07mom09:
    Just FYI I do t think the runny nose and cold have anything to do with the mmr. Likely it is just a viral illness. The rash will go away. Protection from the 3 diseases is much more important and life saving. Hope she feels better soon
    this. That sounds more like she randomly got a cold around the same time. Although the rash is frustrating I'm sure, it's just something that some of the kids get.

I do agree with this too, although my pedi doesn't give mmr until 15 months so its the only shot they get that time
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options

Considering there is no outbreak in my area, she's not in daycare and all of the adults and children she has regular contact with are vaccinated, I most certainly could have waited to get her the vaccine. Her immune system would be naturally stronger and able to tolerate the vaccines better.

She may or may not have picked up a virus but even if that's the case, her immune system being taxed by working towards building up immunity to MMR, she certainly wasn't able to fight the cold virus like she has in the past.

This morning she is spotted from head to toe. Sigh.

• Options
    Sorry she's not feeling well.  My LO had a textbook reaction to the MMR.  He got a fever of 101 or soabout 2 weeks after that lasted for 3 days.  Then he broke out in a rash all over.  He didn't have typical cold like symptoms - just acted whiny and needy and slept a LOT.  (6-7 hours of napping at day and sleeping in every morning several hours extra.)  We're going to stick to the schedule though because I assume he would've reacted regardless of when he got it.  But I certainly support  following your gut and doing what you think is best (as long as you vaccinate at some point!)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    DrRxDrRx member

I'm sorry that she had that reaction, but Adalyn had pretty much the same reaction (minus the congestion) when she got the MMR at 15 months.  The rash went away in a couple of days and didn't seem to bother her at all. 

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagetheresat858:

imagewife07mom09:
    Just FYI I do t think the runny nose and cold have anything to do with the mmr. Likely it is just a viral illness. The rash will go away. Protection from the 3 diseases is much more important and life saving. Hope she feels better soon

This.

My LO picks up something every time we go to the pedis office whether she gets shots or not.

Does your pedi have a "sick" waiting area separate from a "well" waiting area? I think this helps quite a bit. So glad my pedi has that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"