Adoption
Options

Friend adopting a 1 year old! What does she need?

My friends got the call last night that their adoption of a 1 year old has been approved and they can pick her up next week. They really don't have much stuff because they have been on a roller coaster and did not think they would get approved.

For those of you who adopted older babies, what do they need. I want to send her a gift box of "necessities" but we adopted a newborn, so I have no idea what older babies are in need of!

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Friend adopting a 1 year old! What does she need?

• Options
    A good carrier...like an Ergo. That baby will need to be held and snuggled and parented like an infant for the first several weeks/months.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Options
    It's going to be very similar. She'll still need things like diapers, maybe formula, most likely bottles. Ditto the Ergo or another good carrier. Age appropriate toys, finger foods, sippy cups, books. Socks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    IRRIRR member
    Agree with others, also think toddler plates, silverware, pacifiers, toothbrush/paste, cd's, educational toys, and clothes.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Options

Lurker here.  I have not adopted (yet) but I have a 13 month old son. 

Things we use every day:  sippy cup, high chair, plastic bibs, diapers (size 4), wipes, clothes, books (longer board books like Sandra Boynton and books with identifiable pictures for learning new words), stroller, white noise machine, sun hats, sun block, ball popper toy. 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Lurker...

Convertible carseat would be #1. Baby gates, outlet covers and other baby proofing stuff b/c he/she is probably crawling at least. Some type of lovey, like the ones with a small stuffed animal attached to a small blanket.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Sandra Boynton books are pretty much the best. Books can get so monotonous; it's really nice to have plenty! DS learned to climb out of his crib at 17 mos, so a bed rail has been invaluable for us, especially when we travel, as he is able to climb out of his pack n play.
  • Options

we adopted DS at almost 2 years old. Things we used were:

an Ergo carrier- it holds up to 40 pounds, and he really liked being carried in it when we first came home. I think it made him feel more "Safe"

a high chair/booster seat- the Fisher Price space saver is great, because it will grow with the baby as she gets a little bigger

diapers/wipes

toddler snacks

sippy cups, toddler plates, toddler silverware

convertible car seat

toys for that age

a stroller... I LOVE my city mini! sturdy, but pretty light weight, plus super easy to fold

• Options
    We adopted ds at 2.5 and things we needed/used a lot were:

1. Carseat
    2. Mei Tai carrier AMAZING for bonding
    3. Booster seat with straps for dinner table
    4. Kids plates/silverware/sippy cups
    5. Clothes
    6. Toys
    7. Toy bins
    8. Bed/sheets/blankets
    9. Child proofing stuff
    10. Books!

If you're looking to get them toys, get ones that encourage the child to engage the parents, books are great for that. With older ones you sometimes need to "train", for lack of a better word, them to be dependent on you, to bond and attach to you in a parent/child type of relationship.
    Little Slick
    Born 6.26.10
    Forever a Family 11.26.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"