Attachment Parenting
Options

Introduction...surprising myself!

Well, I really never thought I'd be here.  I am an older mom (43), and at first glance attachment parenting seemed to me to be too...maybe structure-less and "crunchy" to me. I'll admit I was kind of judgmental about it.

Well, fast forward to now, and it turns out that attachment parenting is just what has happened with us, it came naturally and is what feels right for my daughter. She sleeps in our bed, and I love it.  I try to carry her or wear her as much as I can. I strongly believe in responding to her needs as much as possible while she is still so young.  And, to be honest, all of the too-early sleep training and "ferberization" going on in my BMB is making me depressed. I don't feel like I'm fitting in there anymore, at least during this stage of babyhood.

So, I'm going to give the ladies on my BMB (who are actually really great) a break from me voicing my opinions all the time :).  Looking forward to being here and learning more from all of you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Introduction...surprising myself!

• Options
    Congrats!  And I hear you - I was the same.  Maybe not judgemental because I didn't think about it much, but if you had told me my kid would be sleeping with me... nursing past 1 year... I would have said you were nuts. :D
  • Options

I was crazy judgemental about AP before I had babies. I truly had no idea how it would feel to hear my baby cry and consider not going to her.

So then I started reading more about the theories and research, and it just all makes so much more sense to me now than sleep training and other non-AP ideas. 

Welcome to the board, the ladies here are great. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageRioG1978:
    Congrats!  And I hear you - I was the same.  Maybe not judgemental because I didn't think about it much, but if you had told me my kid would be sleeping with me... nursing past 1 year... I would have said you were nuts. :D

Me too, except I probably was judgmental!

• Options
    ObLaDiObLaDi member
    Welcome! I don't post here too much, but we're from the same BMB and all the sleep training is bumming me out, too ::mobile smiley::
  • Options
    imageObLaDi:
    Welcome! I don't post here too much, but we're from the same BMB and all the sleep training is bumming me out, too ::mobile smiley::

Waving hi :
  • Options
    Welcome! We had a similar experience in falling into ap after lo arrived. The ironic part is I planned to be more ap with dd--except she hated bed sharing and preferred to fuss herself to sleep alone vs being rocked. Ha. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think I'm fom the same month, and I'm in no rush to get my baby in his crib or skeeping 12 hours in a row... he's still so luttle can't I enjoy that ???
  • Options

imagebubble520:
    I think I'm fom the same month, and I'm in no rush to get my baby in his crib or skeeping 12 hours in a row... he's still so luttle can't I enjoy that ???

those are my thoughts too... even at 12 months I'm not in a hurry to get DD out of my bed or falling asleep on her own without rocking.  I love having her near me, and cuddling with her.  I am all too aware that in the blink of any eye she won't want to do any of this, so I'm soaking it up while I can.

• Options

imageKC_13:
    Welcome! We had a similar experience in falling into ap after lo arrived. The ironic part is I planned to be more ap with dd--except she hated bed sharing and preferred to fuss herself to sleep alone vs being rocked. Ha. 

I can so see this happening to us. We weren't planning on being as AP as we ended up, but it's what worked for LO. I am half convinced our next one will be like your DD :)

• Options

Late to this thread, but I have to cheer for AP (and vent at the same time).  A good friend of mine who has 5 kids has repeatedly told me how important schedules are for raising kids.  This was before I had any and I was raised in a mostly AP household, although we didn't call it that... it certainly was.  After having my own kids, I thought that is her deal and I understand but how ironic she is a SAHM and I work full time and she is rigid with everything and I am laid back with the kids behavior/needs, and just went with the flow even though I had less time at home with the kids. 

She is suppose to be more organized and together with all her scheduling, well it seems she is stressed out all the time, worried about when they eat, sleep, walk, talk, potty train, learn their ABC's, learn to ride a bike, etc.  No exaggeration here, she literally told me I need to potty train my son by the time he is 2 because he is big for his age and people will think something is wrong with him.  WTF? I finally responded to one of her "digs" that I don't think in 20 years or so when they are applying for jobs that one of the questions will be how old were you when you potty trained, learned your ABC's or first time you rode a bike.  Ugh! Keep Calm and AP on.  haha

• Options
    imageabbieaggie:

Late to this thread, but I have to cheer for AP (and vent at the same time).  A good friend of mine who has 5 kids has repeatedly told me how important schedules are for raising kids.  This was before I had any and I was raised in a mostly AP household, although we didn't call it that... it certainly was.  After having my own kids, I thought that is her deal and I understand but how ironic she is a SAHM and I work full time and she is rigid with everything and I am laid back with the kids behavior/needs, and just went with the flow even though I had less time at home with the kids. 

She is suppose to be more organized and together with all her scheduling, well it seems she is stressed out all the time, worried about when they eat, sleep, walk, talk, potty train, learn their ABC's, learn to ride a bike, etc.  No exaggeration here, she literally told me I need to potty train my son by the time he is 2 because he is big for his age and people will think something is wrong with him.  WTF? I finally responded to one of her "digs" that I don't think in 20 years or so when they are applying for jobs that one of the questions will be how old were you when you potty trained, learned your ABC's or first time you rode a bike.  Ugh! Keep Calm and AP on.  haha

You're probably not going to see my late reply...but that is exactly my observation.  All of the scheduling of babies seems to cause way more stress than it's worth, and what's it for, ultimately?  I don't get it.  Then again, my DD has a laid-back personality.  If she was a colicky baby, maybe I'd be more nervous about trying to get her sleep trained, etc. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"