November 2011 Moms
Options

Movies... Is it too early?

So Monster University comes out in 2 weeks and my nephew wants to go for his birthday. (Plus I really want to see the movie too) I am thinking about taking LO since it's a cartoon and his 5 cousins will be there too.

Would you consider taking your LO to a movie theatre at this age?

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

Re: Movies... Is it too early?

• Options
    Personally, I would wait. But I also know that my LO wouldn't sit that long. The second thing is the type of movie. If this second movie is anything like the first movie, he will start to have the "monster in my room" fears. We waited a good long time before my DD saw the first one. They just can't understand that difference between reality and what they see on TV/movies is fiction. So IMO, wait until it's a positive experience. Maybe use it as a reward for potty training. If you do take him, GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mcvgalmcvgal member
    Thanks, I totally had not even thought of the monsters fear!

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagee_cruiz:
    Thanks, I totally had not even thought of the monsters fear!

BIL let his almost 2 YO watch it and that started the whole thing with them, as well as the need to use a nightlight for being scared.

I've grown to hate most Disney movies. A lot of what they put out now is PG. It's so much different when you watch a movie through parental eyes!  DD didn't watch the very beginning of Finding Nemo for a year. In the movie Cars, they put in the word "Hel1". Brave was a great movie, but it had a few scary scenes with a bear. But, hey, at least in that movie she had BOTH of her parents. It bothers me how much Disney shows a lack of 2 parents in a family.

Sorry to go on like this in your post! Surprise

• Options
    Every kid is different, but I know DD isn't ready.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We have taken dd to matinees and it has been fine; that was if she makes noise there is no one really there. She will sit and watch an entire movie though, so I think it depends on the child.
  • Options
    Nope. I don't think he will watch an entire movie. He barely keeps
    Focus on Gabbas. He usually plays and stops for a
    Few seconds to watch.
  • Options
    Our theatre has some show times that are specifically for children and I'd consider going to something like that, but not to a movie with a mixed crowd

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We didn't start taking DD1 until she was 2y.  She didn't really sit still or engage with TV or movies until 22 months so it would have been a pain to bring her to the theater younger than that.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We are thinking of taking DD as well. We haven't done so yet but she has watched movies at home and has sat through entire Disney movies (Mulan, Cinderella, and all 3 Toy Story movies) no problem. I'm not worried about her being afraid since she is too young to understand. I'm thinking of seeing how she does with the first Monsters Inc. movie at home. If she is interested and watches it we will probably take her. IMO it's a children's movie so people should expect it to be a little nosier than an adult movie and it shouldn't really be a problem even if they don't sit totally still and silent the entire movie.
  • Options
    While some children may be scared and get the "monster in my room complex" as another poster put it, it is up to you to know your child.  My dd LOVES the first Monster's Inc and is always asking to watch "kitty" and pretends to hide and scare us.  She is able to sit still through a whole movie so I am thinking of taking her to a matinee showing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"