May 2012 Moms
Options

Is LO spoiled or is this normal behavior?

This is the 4th time we've taken LO to a baby gym and she was still crying throughout the session. She is fine if she's sitting there playing with the other kids, but as soon as she sees an adult stranger nearby, she starts crying. All the other kids are happy playing. Did we spoil her by getting a nanny and not sending her to day care? She cries when she's at the park, she cries at swim class. What can we do?

Re: Is LO spoiled or is this normal behavior?

• Options
    Oh dear, I'd say more adult exposure would be good. My kids are home with me but we go to a mops group and church where they're in a nursery setting. But they do go shopping with me at least twice a week. They smile and talk to everyone who will listen. They do fuss a little when I leave them at church but are fine shortly.

It's hard when you have super shy kids but the more at ease they can become with it younger the better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    ELF4321ELF4321 member
    DD was like that when we started taking a class, and took about 6 weeks to start to warm up to the adults. we just went to our 8th session this week and, although she won't go to them like some of the kids do, she smiles and waves and doesn't freak out anymore. just give it more time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Daycare wouldn't necessarily fix the problem. DD was like this and she was in daycare. She had 2 regular teachers so she was fine around them and shy around strangers. 2 more people in her life made no difference socially. However, now that one of the teachers is expecting and has been in and out with temps/other teachers covering here and there she's getting really good socially cause she expects to see new people regularly. I'd say you can achieve this with your nanny if you just get her out of the house for regular socialization. Parks, baby groups, etc.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagelittleredfish:
    Daycare wouldn't necessarily fix the problem. DD was like this and she was in daycare. She had 2 regular teachers so she was fine around them and shy around strangers. 2 more people in her life made no difference socially. However, now that one of the teachers is expecting and has been in and out with temps/other teachers covering here and there she's getting really good socially cause she expects to see new people regularly. I'd say you can achieve this with your nanny if you just get her out of the house for regular socialization. Parks, baby groups, etc.

Great advice!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    Ditto PPs continue bringing her out into social situations

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"