Stay at Home Moms

Do you think this is trashy?

Do you think people who curse regularly are trashy?

DH was telling me that his boss is always saying that cursing is the trashiest thing and nothing makes a person look more like trash than cursing a bunch. Funny because DH does quite a bit.

I almost never do, but I don't really think twice if others do around me. I really don't think it makes somebody lower than low if they do.

Just curious of what others may think.

Q :  06.25.10
W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

Re: Do you think this is trashy?

• I think there's a time and a place for everything ... sometimes cursing is the only way to effectively make your point.

So to my ear, someone who curses regularly is diluting the importance of everything they say.

• I think it depends on the setting.  If you are amongst friends then no, not trashy.  In the boardroom, then yes, trashy and unprofessional.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKimbus22:

imagelittlemermaid:
    I think it depends on the setting.  If you are amongst friends then no, not trashy.  In the boardroom, then yes, trashy and unprofessional.

Yep.  When I'm having drinks with other adults I let it fly.  Saying fucketyfuckfuckfuck in front of kids or your boss?  That's trashy.

this, though admittedly I let a godddamnit out occasionally and then ds repeats that for like 3 days afterwards. Lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, it does tend to lower my opinion of the person slightly, especially if it is regular. That being said, I curse fairly regularly and wish I could better control it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • khill86khill86 member
    I don't swear very often. Actually pretty rarely. I don't really care what other people do, but when every other word if f I think they must be idiots if they can't think of anything else to say.

SFIL is like your H's boss, though. He never swears and thinks it's gross when people do. Just total trash that you can't communicate without swearing. It drives him crazy that MIL swears.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think so, yes. However, my DH and his Marine co-workers cuss in normal conversations at work. He makes sure not to do it when he's not at work, though. 
  • imagelittlemermaid:
    I think it depends on the setting.  If you are amongst friends then no, not trashy.  In the boardroom, then yes, trashy and unprofessional.
    Yep.
  • Mrs.VMrs.V member
    In public places and work settings, yes I think its trashy if someone curses a lot.
  • In normal conversation where the curse word wasn't needed, then yes I think it is. To get a point across or to show a much needed expression, then no it isn't. I do curse when I am upset or to make a point.

• No, not as long as it isn't every other sentence, and I used to be that way. I don't believe it's disrespectful or makes you unintelligent. My grandma's cousin will turn off a movie if it has one curse word in it. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagelittlemermaid:

This. Work is not a place to use words like that. Now, among friends or with me, DH cusses like a sailor and so do I. 

• lisamoelisamoe member

I don't think because you curse makes you trashy.  I use to have a horrible mouth before I had DS.  Having a kid really makes me think twice about whats coming out of my mouth (unless he's not around, then all bets are off ;)  )

I do think its borderline trashy when someone swears in front of their kid all the time and then the kids regular vocabulary includes the words sh*t, f*ck, etc.

• imagefreezorburn:

I think there's a time and a place for everything ... sometimes cursing is the only way to effectively make your point.

So to my ear, someone who curses regularly is diluting the importance of everything they say.

Agreed.

And also agreed that there's a time and a place.  

I prefer to look at it as "colorful language".   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imageKimbus22:

imagelittlemermaid:

Yep.  When I'm having drinks with other adults I let it fly.  Saying fucketyfuckfuckfuck in front of kids or your boss?  That's trashy.

this, I don't curse but I'm ok wn some ofour friends do it when we are hanging out; if it's in a work setting or around kids then yes, trashy and inapropiate

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • I certainly hope not, since I swear like a sailor. And I'm a VERY KLASSY person.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Trashy, no.  But I think if you swear A LOT, it makes you sound dumb.  I admit I swear for emphasis or if I'm really excited/pissed.  But I worked with a woman who said the F word constantly, like every sentence.  It got old quick. I knew she was an intelligent woman but she sounded like an idiot sometimes.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageKimbus22:

imagelittlemermaid:

This. I have no problem with it in a casual/friend setting. Now that we have kids, I do find myself double checking for little ears though, even when there's no possibility of the kids being around.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• imageHav=Fath:
    If it is in normal conversation, yes I consider it trashy. If someone is sad or upset then it doesn't have the same impression on me, but just talking about every day stuff, very trashy.

+1

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagelisamoe:

I don't think because you curse makes you trashy.  I use to have a horrible mouth before I had DS.  Having a kid really makes me think twice about whats coming out of my mouth (unless he's not around, then all bets are off ;)  )

I do think its borderline trashy when someone swears in front of their kid all the time and then the kids regular vocabulary includes the words sh*t, f*ck, etc.

This is about my opinion. And I do find it a little trashy when a 3 year old uses the f word and the parents don't seem to care. I would get offended if someone cursed a lot around my kids, but I wouldn't think that made them trashy.

My old landlord used the f word seriously every other word, and I consider that trashy.

• If anybody is offended by this, I am sorry. Cursing once in awhile is fine. When someone uses it regulary though (every other word being a curse word)....they come across as uneducated to me.

Of course, using it in front of children is beyond trashy.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I swear like a sailor and I dont mind if other people do. However there are situations where it isnt classy.
  • I do think it's trashy, even though I cuss quite a bit. Not as much as other people I know, but still too much for me to consider it okay. It's something I need to work on for sure.

I had a boss, who while she didn't cuss regularly, she talked about things that made her seem very trashy: sex before marriage to "test out" a potential husband, politics in the work place, etc. I think that is way more trashy than cussing regularly. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"