Attachment Parenting
Options

Weaning and Bedsharing- 20 months old...

My DS is 20 months and I was wondering at what age your child self weaned and how it happened? Was it gradual, did they just stop one day?

Also, we bedshare and he likes to be latched what seems like all night especially in the early morning hours 3am-6am... its starting to get irritating physically and keeps me from truly sleeping. He will only STTN when he sleeps with us, but he does sleep 7-10:30 in his bed. How can I reduce the night nursing? He wont let my DH lay next to him, he only wants me. Will not go back to bed in middle of night without it. Wont take a paci. AND hes a nipple twiddler, he plays with the other nip while he nurses. Ive had enough haha. help!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Weaning and Bedsharing- 20 months old...

• Options

DD is 37mo and doesn't look like she'll totally wean any time soon.  (In fact, when asked tonight, "Is booby milk your favorite thing?" she responded, "Yeah!  And blueberries.  And honey." :P )

I did partial night weaning with my daughter first - around 16 or 18mo.  The all-night tap was closed, and she could nurse only between certain hours.  Yes, there was crying.  But I was in bed with her the whole time (we cosleep too), and it was a "I can't have my way" toddler cry.

Later we moved to nursing only once a night (just before her third birthday).  Again, there was more crying.  But the same toddler thing.  We don't give in to those during the day, and at night is no different, once reasonable rules are set.

Finally, about two months ago, we quite the night nursing all together.  I talked to her about it for a couple months first.  She wasn't thrilled, and there was some whine-crying, but we've made it through the worse of that.

As for the irritating behaviors, she never had a great latch, and would pinch me while nursing.  Like ANYTHING else, it's a behavior issue, not a nursing issue.  If she can behave (proper latch/suck, no pinching) she can nurse if it's within the rules. You could certain set the same rules - if he's twiddling your other nipple, he no longer can nurse and you unlatch him.  He will eventually figure out how to go back to sleep without nursing.  And I won't lie - it's not easy.  But he will.

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Here is what we will be using in the next few months for night weaning.  

Maybe it will work for you.

https://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html 

Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies. That helps and I will try reducing the time I let him nurse at night. I hope this goes smoothly with minimal tears.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"