Infertility
Options

Boric Acid Suppositories while TTC or prego?

Hi everybody,

My midwife has prescribed me boric acid to insert vaginally to keep my pH balanced down there and help fight BV infections, which I've been battling for over a year now. She instructed me to use it 2-3 times a week at night, excluding my fertile week. I have read mixed reviews on other chat boards about how there are dangers to using boric acid during pregnancy, and some resulted in miscarriage. Does anyone know anymore about this, or about using it while TTC? Also, do you think my BV problems are contributing to our trouble TTC? (15+ months). Thanks!

Re: Boric Acid Suppositories while TTC or prego?

• Options
    I've never heard of using boric acid for that, so I'm not really any help there. Why not use an antibiotic like clindamyacin?
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with boric acid or its purpose. However if you've been TTC for 15 months, I recommend you see a reproductive endocrinologist for testing and possible treatment. He or she will also probably be able to tell you about the boric acid. Good luck to you.
    TTC since December 2011
    Me: 29 ovulatory disorder
    DH: 30 MFI - low everything

IUI #1: 11/5/12 BFN
    December IUI cancelled due to cyst
    IUI #2: 1/8/13 BFN

IVF in April 2013 transferred one beautiful blast on 4/13
    Beta #1 4/22: BFP!! 33 Beta #2 54 Beta #3 70 Beta #4 83 Beta #5 105. Possible ectopic, MTX and M/C 5w4d

FET 6/21 - Beta #1: 79 BFP!! Beta #2: 253 U/S 7/12: saw the sac! U/S #2 7/19 great heartbeat of 127!! U/S #3 heartbeat of 154! U/S #4 graduated to OB

EDD 3/9/14

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry guys, guess I didn't give enough info. Have been treated with numerous antibiotics, the boric acid is sorta like a supplement I also have been trying to eat lots of yogurt and take a feminine probiotic supplement to help keep it away. We have been to the fertility doc as well, he says infections have nothing tondo with our problems and all our tests came back great. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility.
  • Options
    Sorry for all the typos, my phone is cray.
  • Options
    imagecarebearcustis:
    Sorry guys, guess I didn't give enough info. Have been treated with numerous antibiotics, the boric acid is sorta like a supplement I also have been trying to eat lots of yogurt and take a feminine probiotic supplement to help keep it away. We have been to the fertility doc as well, he says infections have nothing tondo with our problems and all our tests came back great. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility.

I used to get yeast or bv infections pretty frequently. My ob didn't know why and didn't really seem concerned which was really frustrating. I stopped getting them after I switched to frangrance free soap, lotion, and detergent. So I assume that helped.
    Are you still seeing the RE?
    TTC since December 2011
    Me: 29 ovulatory disorder
    DH: 30 MFI - low everything

IUI #1: 11/5/12 BFN
    December IUI cancelled due to cyst
    IUI #2: 1/8/13 BFN

IVF in April 2013 transferred one beautiful blast on 4/13
    Beta #1 4/22: BFP!! 33 Beta #2 54 Beta #3 70 Beta #4 83 Beta #5 105. Possible ectopic, MTX and M/C 5w4d

FET 6/21 - Beta #1: 79 BFP!! Beta #2: 253 U/S 7/12: saw the sac! U/S #2 7/19 great heartbeat of 127!! U/S #3 heartbeat of 154! U/S #4 graduated to OB

EDD 3/9/14

imageimage

• Options
    I also try to use only fragrance free. I was recently diagnosed with ureaplasma, another bacterial infection that does correlate with infertility according to some doctors/studies, but not all. When I went back to test to see of it was gone, I had BV again. So sick of these infections! I feel like the boric acid has helped in the past, I just worry about using if I'm pregnant and don't know it yet, like during the two week wait.
  • Options
    Sorry you're dealing with this. Each time I see my regular Ob/Gyn he complains that I have a mixed vaginal flora, meaning I don't just have the normal bacteria producing lactic acid but some others too that could cause problems. What my doctor prescribed was a mixture of bacteria in suppository form that you can insert vaginally and it did help. Is that what you meant when you said your taking probiotics?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The probiotic I take are not suppositories, they're oral pills. I think it's called "Femme-dophilus" from Whole Foods. I take them 1-2x a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"