January 2013 Moms

Sudden Decrease in Supply

I've never had any supply problems before. I've done nothing different but two days ago my breasts stopped feeling full. I used to get up and pump every night around 3:00 am and get 5 oz from the breast that LO hadn't nursed from last. Now I'm getting barely 3 oz.

I'm offering the breast often and I can tell she's hungry because she's shoving her head into the breast and nursing a lot longer than usual. I'm drinking more water, eating well, and even started the mothers milk tea. I made some lactation cookies yesterday.

I have no clue while all of a sudden I have hardly any milk. I have to return to work next week so this could not have happened at a worse time.

I'm pumping after sessions and getting nothing but I'm hoping that might also help. I'm also waking her to eat in the MOTN. Any advice?

Re: Sudden Decrease in Supply

• Could you be ovulating or getting ready to get AF? That can cause a dip in supply. We also just randomly have some days were we produce less or more and that is ok. Also I'm not sure I'd wake her for a MOTN feeding. She'd wake up if she was hungry and you could cause MOTN waking to be a routine that it doesn't need to be.   the not full feeling could be from your body regulating how much milk you need. Also if you want to increase supply try eating oatmeal for breakfast. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Mine has been the same the past couple of weeks. I used to pump 6 to 9 occasionally 10 or 11 ounces in 30 minutes before bed. Now I am pumping 3 to 5 ounces in an HOUR! DS can eat 8 in one sitting before bed! I ate lactation cookies for a week and have been drinking Mother's Milk tea. It was better for a week now it's down again. I completely understand the frustration!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had this problem right before I got my period last week. That could be it, otherwise I have no idea. Keep doing what you're doing! Like PP, though, I also would not recommend waking her. If she seems okay after feedings she'll be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You should never really feel full once your supply is regulated.  Also, it's normal to pump between 2-5 ozs per session.  Anymore than that means over-supply.

Don't wake her!  And stop pumping in the MOTN.  I get the most if I pump the breast she doesn't nurse from in the morning. I can get 5 ozs just from the one side.  But if she wakes to eat, I can't get that much.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"