Attachment Parenting

Transition to crib :/

Do any of you momma's have advice on transitioning a LO to a crib? DD2 has been bed sharing with me since she was first home from the hospital. We have a cosleeper but she almost never stays in it. I love sleeping with her but she has always been one to wake up a lot in the night to nurse like every 2 hours or less. She's 9 months old now and eats solids really well so I don't think she's actually hungry, she just wants to cuddle. My husband really wants us to have some alone time in our bed and I would really like a full night's sleep. she wont take a bottle so I haven't slept through the night, or even close to it, in 9 months. She gets so upset when we put her in her crib. She is a very sensitive child and I don't want to make her feel sad. Have any of you had experience in this area?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Transition to crib :/

• Does she nap in a cot during the day? Perhaps work on that first. 

Also so you plan to try night weaning? because it's pretty normal for a 9 mth old BF baby to still be nursing during the night, so moving LO to her own room, might not help with you getting a whole nights sleep. Although if you feel little one's sleep is being disturbed by being so close to you, it may help.

Maybe a middle ground might be to start LO off in her cot and then bring her into bed at her first waking, so you and DH get some space in bed together without baby.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• She will nap in her crib. It's just at night that she has the problem. She gets her feelings hurt. Also, if she needs to nurse once or twice in the night that would seem normal but this is almost continuous during the night so I think we might be keeping her awake. My poor sweet baby. I don't want her to feel neglected. I just want to know how to make her feel loved and secure in her own crib.
  • Loading the player...
  • Has it always been this way, or is it recent? I'm wondering if it could be teeth, or tummy upset and so it's comfort nursing?

How does LO go to sleep ordinarily? Do you lie with her, or nurse her to sleep? Have you tried putting her in her cot when she's already sound asleep? Is it always you who puts LO down, or does DH do it sometimes? Would it be easier for DH to get LO to sleep in her cot? (sometimes when I have tried and failed, DH can step in and have LO asleep in moments)

I don't have any huge pieces of advice, but just thinking if we have a clearer picture of how the current situation works, people might be able to make suggestions. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I don't have a whole lot of advice, but I can definitely relate to you.  My daughter is almost 2 and is still in bed with us and has never slept through the night.  She stopped nursing at around 9 months (supply issues due to pregnancy) and stopped taking milk altogether at night around 12 months old, but she still doesn't sleep through the night :/ 

We are going to try to get her in her own room and bed soon though.  I can't take it anymore.  Last night she scratched my armpit with her toenail and stuck her foot down my pants! 

Good luck!

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

DS born 5.20.14 at 38 weeks

All are welcome

• She has been this way for a few months now so it's not just teething. Generally the way I get her to sleep is we both lay in bed and I nurse her until she is sound asleep. Sometimes I move her into a cosleeper next to the bed but even when I do that it's not long before she realizes and wakes up and cries for me to hold her.

I've tried to nurse her in her glider in her room and sneak her into bed. Occasionally it works but it's usually less than an hour before she cries for me. Usually though, she wakes right up and cries. I will try to comfort her but she gets really upset. DH will try to come in and help but she's already really upset.

Also, she is really attached to me. If DH is holding her, she is usually crying to get to me.

Hope this helps some. I also hope it doesn't post in one huge paragraph since I'm on my phone. Thanks for commenting!
  • imagechrismo1013:

Last night she scratched my armpit with her toenail and stuck her foot down my pants! 

I'm sorry; this made me laugh. I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone. I too have a baby who just will not sleep in his crib. Well... he pretty much just won't sleep, period. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"