Working Moms
Options

Asked to work during ML...

2»

Re: Asked to work during ML...

• Options

I think PPs have covered it but I'll jump on the bandwagon. Do not work when you should be on ML! Adjusting to having a newborn is really hard. Some days its was a triumph to eat 3 full meals. You might not be physically able to do any work, and you probably will have no desire to anyways.

Work will find a way to survive without you. Relax with your baby, ML will be over before you know it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I could barely move, because of body wracked by delivery, and barely ate anything because of time for the first 2 months. And that was with my DH's help with him off the first 2 weeks. I really think it would be hard to even work part time.
    imageimageimage
    weddingcountdown.com Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Seriously, after two weeks I was still in zombie mode and in no mood to deal with anything but the baby.  Heck I barely had the ambition to take a shower.  I would take the time off you are entitled to for at least the six weeks and then possibly go back part time.  The company will manage without you for this time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagefryrat:
    If you are getting payment from short term disability, you need to work 0 hours. Not at all. Zip, Zilch, Zero!! If you work at all, you can be hit with massive fines for disability fraud. I understand you wanting to help the company, but you ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT work while collecting disability payments.[/

quote]

This this this! I work in hr and have to tell my employees and managers that pto is TIME OFF. Please dont shortchange yourself or set up unrealistic expectations with your employer.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

I'm stunned that your boss has the audacity to ask you to working during your maternity leave. If you decide to say no, simply offer to train a temp replacement before you take your maternity leave. That is fair enough, and really you aren't obligated to do more than that. Employees hire temps to cover maternity leave ALL the time! It's not your responsibility to worry about the position while you are on leave, that falls on your boss. He sounds like a slimeball trying to take the easy way out.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageskibunny59:

I feel like no one has really addressed the issue that you need this time to bond with your baby.  Most of the PP's are saying "Oh, you don't know how your recovery will be."  or "Oh, you don't know how your baby will be and whether or not they will be up all night, etc."  Yes, all of that is true but even with a easy recovery and an "easy" baby, you still shouldn't work during your maternity leave.  It's important to have that time to just be with your baby.

Maybe you just want to hold your little baby in your arms while they are napping.  They grow so fast and you will NEVER get that time back.  Enjoy your maternity leave and don't worry about your job.  I would never ever agree to work during my leave.  OP - I know you said you're hard worker.  All of us women are.  But you have to put yourself and your baby first. 

Are you suggesting that men who don't take a paternity leave are unable to bond with their babies?  Or, that women who for economic or other reasons have to return to work very soon after birth don't bond?  I worked during three of my four leaves and I don't feel any more bonded to my first child or any less bonded to the other three. 

I'm not saying the poster should work, but I don't feel you need to be off from work for a specific amount of time in order to have a bond with your child.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    I am a FTM and I worked during my ML. I am at a small employer, don't qualify for ML, and don't even have STD. My husband took off work for four weeks full time, and then went back part time for 2 weeks. I had a strict plan. I did not answer phone calls, or e-mails for the first three weeks, after that I let everyone know that I would see how things were going and then re-evaluate if I needed more time. After three weeks I caught up on all e-mails and phone calls. Then until I came back to work I would work 4 hours a week at most- all from home on only things that HAD to get done. I also went into work for an hour here and there a couple of times to sign off on reports. My husband came to work with me and showed off the baby while I worked. During this time if the baby cried or needed something I would breastfeed him in the office or would just call it quits for the day. Then right before I came back full time I would leave the baby with my sister-in-law for two or three hours a week and work. It all worked for me, but to each is their own. I did not agree to anything before I had the baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"