Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Talk to me about loveys

How did you introduce them?

What type of lovey are you using? and

Does it help your LO sleep better at night?

I am having a sleep crisis.  My LO is flipping around in his RnP and it's becoming dangerous (he's a reflux baby) but won't sleep at all in his crib.  He has started to turn on his side in his Snugabunny RnP and caress the bunny ear so I want to introduce him to a lovey.  I was thinking of the aden and anais security blanket because it comes in a pack of two and I've seen him spend time rubbing the satin edge of a blanket I have before.  Any suggestions?

Re: Talk to me about loveys

• LMB1231LMB1231 member

We have the A&A blanket that you are talking about. I don't know if I can say that my LO is attached to her's or not. She sleeps with it and most of the time she has it near her but I don't think she is really attached to it yet.  I tried to sleep with it first and kind of rubbed it on my chest to try and get some of my scent on the blanket.  I can't say that it has made any difference in her sleep whatsoever but I do think that over time I have seen her holding it more.

We have a lot of the A&A swaddle blankets and once she is old enough I will probably use one of them in her crib and hopefully she will be use to the same fabric from her little blanket now. 

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My biggest piece of advice is to definately get two of whatever you choose. With my DD#1 she became attached to a lovey that we got as a gift and I searched for days online to find a second one for when the original was in the wash/misplaced. With DS we just chose one and made it available at nap or when he needed consoled.
    Mommy to Evelyn Clare born 6/23/07, Ryan Hansen born 12/10/09, and Charlotte Nicole born 11/1/12
  • Loading the player...
  • We have an Angel Dear https://www.angeldear.net/cuddle/blankies_cuddle.php

I started giving it to DS when he was 4 months, around the time we started sleep/nap training.  However, I only give it to him for naps but not for overnight sleep.  It makes no real sense but I guess I'm just nervous to let him have to for such long sleep at night.

Can't say if it helps with overnight sleep (see above).  For naps, he'll often rub the lovey on his face or munch on it before he falls asleep.

I really like the Angel dear lovies. 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • laura1laura1 member

We didn't introduce one to my DS until he was older (7ish months), and by then he didn't care about anything but his binkie.  We started giving DD#1 hers when she was about 4 months old, and she LOVES it.  She has the Angel dear one and needs it to sleep all the time.  

Since it was such a hit with DD#1, we give one to DD#2 as well.  I put her down to bed and put the animal head next to hers with the blanket part over her arm.  It helps her to grab on to the blanket instead of taking out her binkie!  Good luck! 

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO likes to fall asleep while rubbing something soft but she's not attached to any one thing in particular.  Sometimes it's a blanket, sometimes it's a plush bunny with floppy ears, sometimes it's a "lovey" that someone gave us. I prefer her not to get attached to one specific thing so we don't have to worry about it getting lost and starting WW3 over it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBootsyLou:
    My LO likes to fall asleep while rubbing something soft but she's not attached to any one thing in particular.nbsp; Sometimes it's a blanket, sometimes it's a plush bunny with floppy ears, sometimes it's a "lovey" that someone gave us. I prefer her not to get attached to one specific thing so we don't have to worry about it getting lost and starting WW3 over it.

This. DS usually has one of those little square blankets with the satin around the edges or with the animal head on top. He loves rubbing that when he is getting tired.

• hilsy85hilsy85 member
    We use both an A&A security blanket and an angel dear lovey. I do think they help, because he'll suck on them/rub them on his face as he falls asleep. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • We tried to give dd1 a pink angel dear piggy, but she ended up choosing a yellow duck that I got as an Easter gift as a teenager. It was just in her toys and she started carting it around. She's now almost three and he is still stuck to her hip. I'm not sure you can really choose the thing they love but you can give good options. I think the AA lovey blankets would be a good choice. Something to think about, most kids know impostors. So if you want to double up its best to rotate so they gave the same smell and love.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Thanks for the advice. Pp good tip on keeping them rotated. I'm going to pick up a set of the AA blankies and give it a try and see if he likes them. We've already had five wake ups between bedtime and 10:30 tonight.
  • cmrand4cmrand4 member
    DS2 uses a Taggies monkey.  One side is silky satin and the other side is plush with satin tags all around.  He moves is around until it's in a good position near his face and under his hand so he can touch it while he falls asleep. Without a doubt it helps him fall asleep.  I got it for him in his Easter basket and he took right to it. He has another that he likes too that is a Tigger, same concept, but I don't like it as much because it has a rattle in it.  both stay in his crib which is a rule at our house...can't get lost or as dirty that way. With my older son, I didn't introduce anything.  He wasn't nearly as tactile so it didn't occur to me but around 18 mos he adopted a cheap flannel swaddling blanket.  It's now a ratty thing after many, many washes.  He's still very attached to it.  My only thoughts are consider what your rules are going to be about the lovey now. For instance, will you let it leave the house for errands, etc.? Decide now because if your child gets attached you'll want to be consistent and set parameters now.  I can't tell you how many times my nephew freaked out with tantrums because of his misplaced beloved "Monkey" which my SIL let him take EVERYWHERE. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • we introduced it by me putting it on my chest when LO nursed. She started rubbing it, grabbing it, and playing with it with her free arm.

We use a Douglas Lil Snuggler. It has a satin riboon around the edge.  But when it was in the wash, I gave her an Angel Dear one that we got as a gift, and she was fine with that, too.  I'm hoping to keep them in rotation so she likes them both and we have a "spare".  (My sister's kid uses the A&A ones, and they work great)

I don't know if it helps her sleep better.  We were in a similar situation as you last week-- LO was addicted to the swaddle and learned how to roll over IN the swaddle so that wasn't safe anymore.  We took away the swaddle, added the lovey, and did sleep training all in the same swoop.  By Day 2 she was playing with the lovey quietly in her crib until falling asleep (usually about 10 minutes).

Does your LO nap in the crib? I'd start there and work your way up to nighttime. Also, if the flatness of the crib is the problem, our pedi recommended we put a pillow UNDER the mattress to tilt it a little bit when LO had a cold.  Worked wonders.  You could try that  (although they could get mad if the roll to the bottom and can't roll back up).

• MneraniMnerani member
    imagepb_bride:

We have an Angel Dear https://www.angeldear.net/cuddle/blankies_cuddle.php

I started giving it to DS when he was 4 months, around the time we started sleep/nap training.  However, I only give it to him for naps but not for overnight sleep.  It makes no real sense but I guess I'm just nervous to let him have to for such long sleep at night.

Can't say if it helps with overnight sleep (see above).  For naps, he'll often rub the lovey on his face or munch on it before he falls asleep.

I really like the Angel dear lovies. 

This, except that I give it to him during the nights too. It definitely seems to help him get to sleep.
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • When she started daycare I started sending in a nicer "burb cloth" or small "lovey" (I have a variety of chenelle type squares) that I use during the day when I pump so it smells like me and my milk.  I send one (new) every day from my previous day and she grabs for them.  We are starting to day ween and I'm not sure how to address the lovey - but I'll probably sleep with one and send it so it still smells like me.  At home we use one from the previous day (and often don't change it for a week or so).. she is also a binky lover and must have one for her hand (that she holds up next to her face and plays with) and one for her mouth of course!

She hasn't shown a preference for a particuliar lovey or blanket 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"