Natural Birth
Options

Posture, OP babies, etc.

So this board has been informative to read! Before lurking on here I had no idea that there was an ideal position other than being head down. I've since read a lot of info on sites like spinning babies, and I've realized that my baby is most likely OP at this point. I feel lots of kicks and jabs in the front. I also realized that I have horrible posture! When I get home from work I just want to recline back on my couch with my feet up! I even find myself reclining on my couch at work a lot (I am a drama teacher so we have comfy furniture in the room.)

I'm now working to fix the posture and try some of the exercises that are supposed to help turn OP babies. Have any of you had luck with that? Do you think my horrible reclining posture the last few months has done me in?

I'd really love to try to get this baby in the most ideal position possible. I keep reading about how it can help prevent so many issues in labor. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the whole 'spinning babies' concept. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Posture, OP babies, etc.

• Options
    Well that's encouraging to hear! I saw the technique with the blanket on spinning babies. Pretty cool. I don't have a midwife since I'm delivering in a hospital (they don't allow midwives in hospitals in my state and we don't have any birthing centers.) I do have a doula though, so hopefully she knows some great techniques like that! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    iris427iris427 member

I don't really believe that reclining causes OP babies.  I think it's just another silly way to guilt trip pregnant women and blame them for complications.  Who knows why some babies like to be OP, but it probably has nothing to do with you.  So sit however makes you comfortable--it's hard enough as it is to be comfortable in your third trimester.

95% of OP babies will turn on their own during labor.  A hands and knees position can sometimes help turn the baby as well as just staying active in labor.  Epidurals are associated with having an OP baby at delivery but I assume since you are on this board, you're already planning to avoid one anyway.  If your baby doesn't turn by the time you are ready to push, you can talk to your doctor about attempting to manually rotate your baby's head. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I found the exercises didnt help and were actually quite painful. I saw a chiropractor who got my second baby into the correct OA position. Both my babies were originally OP and my first ended in csection after a few hours of pushing. The second was a successfup vbac, and I credit the chiro. She said that an old injury in my sciatic joint was causing my pelvis to twist and my babies to sit OP.

Good luck!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Pretty much what Iris said. I'm more of the "if it doesn't hurt, might as well try it" camp - I didn't recline for the second half of my pg with DS2, and sat on the floor or a yoga ball instead. But I also saw a chiropractor and was a lot more physically active during that pg, too, so who knows what factors helped DS2 stay in an OA position.

FWIW, DS1 was persistently OP, including during labor. None of the MWs ever suggested turning him during labor, and I am still irked about it (I ended up w a c/s). But like I said, his brother was OA and much bigger, and came out vaginally. I would definitely talk to your provider and doula about what happens with an OP baby in labor.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer! If it's going to make you feel better, then try the exercises, or see a chiropractor. But try not to stress yourself out about it.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imageiris427:

I don't really believe that reclining causes OP babies.  I think it's just another silly way to guilt trip pregnant women and blame them for complications.  Who knows why some babies like to be OP, but it probably has nothing to do with you.  So sit however makes you comfortable--it's hard enough as it is to be comfortable in your third trimester.

95% of OP babies will turn on their own during labor.  A hands and knees position can sometimes help turn the baby as well as just staying active in labor.  Epidurals are associated with having an OP baby at delivery but I assume since you are on this board, you're already planning to avoid one anyway.  If your baby doesn't turn by the time you are ready to push, you can talk to your doctor about attempting to manually rotate your baby's head. 

Exactly.  I had an anterior placenta which seems to promote the OP position.  I labored on my hands and knees and used several ofter positions recommended by my doula to help turn LO.   She turned in labor and everything went smoothly.  I really would not stress out about it right now.  Relax in whatever place/position you feel comfortable!

• Options

My baby is currently sideways (spine along my side).  My MW said to avoid reclining/leaning back.  When I sit, I should sit forward.

She also wants me to spend time on my hands and knees doing pelvic rocking, sitting/bouncing on the yoga ball and laying on my left side. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My midwife also recommended rocking on my hands and knees, doing pelvic floor tilts, and sitting on the yoga ball. She also mentioned that seeing chiropractor would be helpful, especially if there were any back problems prior to pregnancy. I definitely agree, it wouldn't hurt to try some of these suggestions. Especially the yoga ball...if anything it stregthens the core which is a benefit either way!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I delivered OP last time. I didn't know he was in the position prior to labour starting. I laboured the whole time on my hands and knees as that's what was comfortable - he still didn't turn. I moved a lot through pushing... he still didn't turn. I am hoping to avoid another OP delivery as I'm sure that it contributed to my third degree tear, but at the same time I can't lean forward for the next 3 months straight.

I am doing a 30 second inversion most days (off spinning babies) to try to stretch things and make sure there's room in there, sitting on my exercise ball for part of my work day (but that's mostly because my legs and bum ache), and will ask my doula for more ideas during labour if we think the same thing is happening (last time, she mostly let me do what felt right and didn't offer many suggestions). 

At the end of the day, I had an unassisted med-free birth with my OP baby in a hospital setting with my doctor. Labour was 14 hours start to finish, but I spent the first 9 hours not really believing it was labour. I went garage saling, ate normally, and went to church while in labour. It really wasn't that bad, as first labours go. 

• Options
    kat45kat45 member
    I delivered an OP baby.  My midwife kept telling me he was OP at my appointments, and despite spending lots of time on my hands and knees and doing other spinning babies exercises, he never turned. I did have back labor, but it was only really bad when they made me lay on my back to be monitored. Otherwise, I preferred to stand. I was in active labor for only 4 hours and then pushed for 45 min. I didn't have any tears. I did have a water birth, so I think that helped.
  • Options

I delivered an OP (9 lb!) baby.  No one said a word about his position at any appts or during labor.  I had a midwife and a doula in the hospital.  It was really painful, but it was less than 4 hours from start to finish and if he hadn't been OP, he would have likely been born in the car on the way to the hospital!  

I highly doubt it's from reclining... please don't worry about that! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"