March 2013 Moms
Options

Grasping at Straws!

Our LO has a heck of a time sleeping, he does fairly well at night with some nights sleeping for up to  four hours at a time (he is 8weeks) however sleeping during the day is terrible! i sometimes spend a hour trying to get him down for a nap then he only sleeps for 15-30minutes,only to repeat the process the rest of the day.   twice last week he did take one three hour nap and one two hour nap. he is so tired, you can see it in his eyes and he just cries and fights to stay awake, i was reading on his formula and the first two  ingredients are corn syrup and sugar!(Similac Senstive) i could just be grasping at straws but could the sugar be making him unable to sleep? but at the same time he does well at night his gas issues have improved lately so i dont know if his system has matured and i should   try going back to the regular Similac or should i not rock the boat and risk his gas troubles flaring up? dont get me wrong i love holding and rocking LO but a couple of days last week i went over 24hours without eating because DH was out of town for work and i just could not get LO to sleep long enough to make anything and the sweet 15-30 minutes i woudl get i had to walk the dogs, wash bottles, go to the bathroom and try and get dressed and feel human! i 'm just talking out the issue anyone have any opinions or ideas? DH will be out of town for 15 days straight at the end of the week and we live 2hours away from family and all of our friends work, so i dont have any help and i'm trying to find a solution to make it easier!

Re: Grasping at Straws!

• Options
    I really don't have any advice but wanted to say that I've been there and it won't last forever. DD was pretty much like that until we did sleep training. Yours is too little yet for that though. Do what you can, everything else will still be there tomorrow so cut yourself some slack just for your sanity.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I second the carrier, as the motion of you walking can soothe him.  You don't have to disturb him while he's sleeping in the carrier and you can still get food, wash bottles and other dishes, and any other tasks done while he's sleeping.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely try a carrier. My kiddo is antinap so he spends a lot of time in the Moby. He's happy and I can do things like fold laundry, take the dog out, pretty myself up.
  • Options

Mine juuust went through a phase like this. It lasted like a week and a half. It was terrible - he was so sleepy, but so curious, and would fight sleep. Definitely look to invest in a carrier or wrap. Also, it's OK to let him fuss for a couple minutes while you do necessary things like pee and make a sandwich. It makes no sense to go 24 hours without eating. You have to take care of yourself so you can take care of your LO, you know? 

ETA: We EBF, so it might not necessarily be the formula doing this to him.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    AnneleaAnnelea member
    I will definitely look at getting a carrier, i have not had a appetite since LO was born so i have to really stop and make sure i eat, some days it will be 9 in the evening when he finally gets to sleep that i realize it was the night before since i ate.  As far as his formula, he is fine at night, hopefully its just a phase, I just really dread being on my own with him like this, i see a lot of car rides in my future! thanks for your replies everyone! You all have no idea how much help this board has been to me, to know im not the only one with questions and issues. (and much nicer than other boards i might add!)
  • Options
    tilsonctilsonc member
    I think most formula has those ingredients so I do not think its that. My LO had very bad gas until a couple weeks ago. We use Similac Advance. We were supplementing, but now 100% formula as I went back to work. How much are you feeding LO at a time? My LO is 8 weeks and its anywhere from 3.5-4+ oz every 2-3 hours (at night she sleeps 6-7 hours). I get her nice and full and then she usually gets tired after about 30 mins. Sometimes she won't go down unless I give her another oz so I watch to see if she is still hungry. Do you have a rock n play? My LO loves hers and I am able to put her in there and move her around the house easily. She actually prefers to be in there vs. falling alseep on me as its more comfortable. I would also suggest putting LO in a swing...this might give you some time to do stuff around the house. We have the mamaroo and she sometimes falls asleep in there for an hour at a time.
  • Options
    AnneleaAnnelea member

imagetilsonc:
    I think most formula has those ingredients so I do not think its that. My LO had very bad gas until a couple weeks ago. We use Similac Advance. We were supplementing, but now 100% formula as I went back to work. How much are you feeding LO at a time? My LO is 8 weeks and its anywhere from 3.5-4+ oz every 2-3 hours (at night she sleeps 6-7 hours). I get her nice and full and then she usually gets tired after about 30 mins. Sometimes she won't go down unless I give her another oz so I watch to see if she is still hungry. Do you have a rock n play? My LO loves hers and I am able to put her in there and move her around the house easily. She actually prefers to be in there vs. falling alseep on me as its more comfortable. I would also suggest putting LO in a swing...this might give you some time to do stuff around the house. We have the mamaroo and she sometimes falls asleep in there for an hour at a time.

LO is eating about 3 1/2 -4oz. and has just started eating up to 5oz. sometimes, usually every 3 hours (sometimes 4)  We dont have a rock and play and the past few weeks he has hated his swing would scream everytime i put him it, however silly boy is asleep in it now! i was picking up around his room and thought what the heck i will try it and today he loves it! i might look in to a rock and play, he is such a happier baby when he sleeps, i will try anything to get more of those little smiles!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"