Baby Showers
Options

co-ed baby shower gifts

We are invited to two co-ed showers in the next month. They will only be my second and thrid baby showers (the first one I went to I was 17 and put my name on my mom's gift).

The first is for a lab mate's (from myPhD program) wife (we all hang out as a group, but I would not actually hang out with just her)  held at our college advisor's house.

The second is the daughter of my mother-in-law's friend, who my husband has known for years held at my mother-in-law's house

What is an appropriate gift amount (they both have registries with lots of options) for each situation? Is it more because both of us will be going? I just don't want to have a crazy awesome gift that her close family wouldn't even get, or be the cheapskate either, you know?

Also, any of you mom's out there have things you didn't put on your registries that would have been awesome to have that you realize you need now that you're a mother?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

baby development

Re: co-ed baby shower gifts

• Options

For baby showers, I tend to give around $30.  For a good friend, $50.  You don't need to give a more expensive gift because it's a co-ed shower.

Give what YOU want to give and can afford to give.  There will be a wide range of prices.  trust me. But no one (well, anyone w/ tact) is going to sit there and really compare the $$ amount of what different people gave.  Why would anyone really care, to be honest.  If I wanted to give a $200 gift, I wouldn't give a 2nd thought to someone who gave a $30 gift.  Different relationships/ budgets/ etc. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I don't understand why the shower being co-ed makes the gift any different. I typically spend around $30-35, more if its my BFF or family.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you, I really had no idea since these are the first I'll be going to w/o my mom.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

baby development

• Options
    I think people think they need to spend more because two people are being hosted (instead of one). But that's not necessary. $30-$50 is a very appropriate amount!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think you have to spend more money on a gift just because it is co-ed. I would just buy whatever you wanted to buy as if it were a ladies only shower. 
  • Options

I think it really depends.  but regardless, I don't think it'd change just because it's co-ed v. women only.  If it's a close friend, I spend about $70-100 for the gift (sometimes this is in addition to hosting the shower).  If it's one of those situations where you get the invitation you kinda side eye it because you aren't that close, then I go with about $20-30.  I do inbetween if it's work (small office but no social interaction outside of work).  If it's family, then that's a totally different situation all together. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    I agree with PPs.  Look at the registry and get something in the $25-30 range. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemystererae:
    This all depends on what you can afford. For a friend or co-worker I'd spend around $30, for a close friend or relative around $50, for a BFF probably more like around $100. That said, I'm having a co-ed baby shower this Sunday. I know some of my friends are in different financial situations so a $15 gift from some of my unemployed friends means everything to me. It's not really about the cost.

This is in line with what I normally do, but agree to stick with what you can afford.  If you're really on a budget, Ross and Marshall's always have cute outfits and blankets under 10 bucks and they would make a really cute present. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Huh, I guess I may overspend.  For a casual friend or acquaintance I usually spend about $50 or so and then $100+ for a good friend or family member.  I would totally agree with the other posters to spend what's within your budget
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"