Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

When one kid has a stomach bug, do you/siblings always get it?

I have a nearly 3-year old and a 14-month old. Fortunately, we've only had a stomach bug in this house three times in their lives. But, when it's happened, the WHOLE family gets it. Even though I am diligent about handwashing, cleaning up sick messes, etc. 

Just curious if your kids are ever singularly sick or if you get sick when they do, usually. My older DD started puking last night, I'm REALLY hoping baby sister or me do not get it as well.

Re: When one kid has a stomach bug, do you/siblings always get it?

• Options
    Nope we all get it.  They usually have the virus before the getting sick starts.  The pattern is always one of the boys and then 3 days later the rest us us are down.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Luckily no one's gotten the flu but we've had several colds in the past few months and all 4 of us end up getting it. My littlest one caught a cold from my oldest and then had RSV for over a month which was awful!! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sonetimes we all get it, but we have gotten lucky a few times and were able to keep it to one kid.  DH rarely gets ip the stomach bug, I am the one that usually gets it.  Lucky me
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We almost always share the cold with each other. Sometimes DH won't get it.
  • Options
    imagekgopel:
    Sonetimes we all get it, but we have gotten lucky a few times and were able to keep it to one kid. nbsp;DH rarely gets ip the stomach bug, I am the one that usually gets it. nbsp;Lucky me

Same here usually. DH is the only one that hasn't gotten it the past few times. It's the stomach bug in particular that I haaaate. Colds are one thing, but it's so hard to take care of puking kids when you're puking yourself. Ugh.
  • Options
    I work in a school so I have a pretty good immune system. It seems DH always gets what DD has. So far, I've been able to keep DS from catching anything.
    imageimage
  • Options

Funny you mention this, because after both DS and DD got sick with the stomach flu a couple weeks ago, I mentioned to my coworkers that the real deciding point for how many kids to have is how many times (from how many kids) do you want to clean up puke.  Typically DH and I will get the stomach flu too, but this time we didn't.  I went around the house and cleaned every door handle, light switch, and bathroom with bleach-based cleaner.  I also washed (in hot water) all of our towels and bedding after DS came down with the flu.  DD literally puked on my legs 2 days after DS had gotten sick, but I luckily I stayed healthy.

Hope you and the rest of your family stay healthy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Seems like if one kid gets sick, they both get sick.  I have more vacation so I stay home with the sick kid, so I often get it too.  DH probably gets it half the time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Depends. DH often seems to get passed over, which I guess makes sense b/c he's out of the house about 10 hours a day when they're sick. 

For some reason, I get the worst of it. Like this year, we all got the flu shot. I got the flu anyway and was sick for 10 days. Each of my girls only had a fever for about 36 hours (thank God), and DH wasn't sick at all.  

I think it depends a lot on differences in immune systems and exposure, and even if you're diligent about things, some people are just more susceptible. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"