2nd Trimester
Options

Host My Own Baby Shower .. ?

Re: Host My Own Baby Shower .. ?

• Options
    PeaceLoveGreen: Caught you in another lie by the way. 

Originally you said your mom thought that she needed to spend a lot of money on you (suit and tie affair, something like 5K). So, no where in that discussion did you mention she wanted to throw you a simply BBQ. So, either she wanted to throw you a 5K party or a BBQ. It sounds like you just wanted to make it seem like her original idea so as not to acknowledge that your real intent this entire thread was to throw you own party and you wanted people to validate you. 

So, yeah, what was that about being an honest and open person again?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageAFwifelife:

imagepeacelovegreen:
    I guess you all don't know what rude is . My SIL disagreed w my idea of wanting to host and did not say any of these harsh words . Nor did I go back and forth w her . She told me her opinion and I took some advice . Also , I'm not sure why you all would think I just want people to agree w me , I'm not sure who you know that behaves like that , but I don't associate w that type . I'm a very open person . I guess next time I'll list out all my ideas and just ask for someone to pick one lol . Because apparently changing your mind , or going w someone else's idea whether you had it in mind or not , is considered lying . Thank you all . No need to reply as this is completely off topic now . I thought this would be a simple yes or no 15min discussion . Not a call you names for having an opinion and continuing to try to belittle you for changing your mind . Enjoy your day !

This thread is 4 pages long because you are continuing the back and forth.  If you just said that you agree that throwing your own shower is tacky and will take a back-seat to your mom's planning, it wouldn't have gotten this far.  You continue fighting.

Thank you , you are completely right . I thought by mentioning I will let my mom do what she had in mind would end the discussion , but then there's always that one person that continues picking apart every post and calling me a liar for "changing my mind" . I like to end things on a positive note , but unfortunately when I try I guess that's considered fighting and someone else replies w rude name calling .  

Lilypie Maternity tickers BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagepeacelovegreen:
    Wow , I didn't think I needed to add my mother is sick and not financially stable , for people to be somewhat understanding of which "pressure" I am talking about . To me this is not about balloons cake decorations and gifts . Once again , not sure how it's so easy for most people to read a paragraph and make an assumption of one person's life style to determine they are a brat . Never had anyone call me that . Actually very caring of others situations , and humble enough to know IT IS NOT ABOUT THE GIFTS . Yes , it is a Baby Shower , to shower w love not just gifts .

I think everyone on here, with the exception of a couple of people, are being catty you know whats.  Opinions are fine, but if you can't express an opinion without being a b****, then you need to go to charm school and keep your opinions to yourself.  I'm embarrassed for all of the people throwing insults at this woman.  You are the ones that need to get over yourselves.  Also, every baby shower I've been to has been for family and friends to spend time together and yes, get gifts for the BABY.  I've never been to a shower where everyone just bought gifts for the mom, and every shower I've been to, the mom had some say in the planning, many cases the dad too. 

I'm sure your shower will be great however you decide to go about it.  In most cases I think other people do plan the showers just so the mom doesn't have to worry about it, but I don't think this is some strict rule, and the gifts aren't for you, they are for your child.  It's no different than throwing your own child a birthday party, which we moms do every year to get GIFTS for our KIDS.  AGAIN, QUIT BEING UGLY AND GET OVER YOURSELVES. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimageimage
  • Options

imagepeacelovegreen:
    I guess you all don't know what rude is . My SIL disagreed w my idea of wanting to host and did not say any of these harsh words . Nor did I go back and forth w her . She told me her opinion and I took some advice . Also , I'm not sure why you all would think I just want people to agree w me , I'm not sure who you know that behaves like that , but I don't associate w that type . I'm a very open person . I guess next time I'll list out all my ideas and just ask for someone to pick one lol . Because apparently changing your mind , or going w someone else's idea whether you had it in mind or not , is considered lying . Thank you all . No need to reply as this is completely off topic now . I thought this would be a simple yes or no 15min discussion . Not a call you names for having an opinion and continuing to try to belittle you for changing your mind . Enjoy your day !

Your friends and family typically will be nicer about it as to not hurt your feelings.

People who do not know you will always be more upfront and blunt. Again no one is trying to be rude. You are combating and retaliating against a lot of the girls for no reason. 

You changed your mind- great. Why be so persistent in arguing over it.  You also called Prim a cu .nt which is not going to get you anywhere. No reason to be nasty.

• Options

imagePrimRoseMama:

Originally you said your mom thought that she needed to spend a lot of money on you (suit and tie affair, something like 5K). So, no where in that discussion did you mention she wanted to throw you a simply BBQ. So, either she wanted to throw you a 5K party or a BBQ. It sounds like you just wanted to make it seem like her original idea so as not to acknowledge that your real intent this entire thread was to throw you own party and you wanted people to validate you. 

Like I said , I didn't think I needed to mention every detail of my life . I'll try to put it in a way for you to understand , not that I really care if you think I'm a liar .. I did mention this before , the reason she thought she needed to host a 5k party is because my family is the type to throw a suit & tie over the top style party for a toddler's birthday . In turn , she thought I would be the same , which is why I didn't want her to do it & stress if I knew I wouldn't need to spend that much just to have my family come together to celebrate . My family is the type to shower you w gifts just for visiting , which is why a registry IN MY FAMILY is mandatory . 

Lilypie Maternity tickers BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imagepeacelovegreen:

Thank you for your advice . I completely understand the etiquette and concept behind a Baby Shower . I guess I'm just the type that wants to have a "Meet the Baby in the Oven" , possibly because my family is so big we don't see each other for years . Seriously not doing it for the gifts , and I KNOW my family will understand this ..

How do you plan on doing this?  Are you going to lie on a table not wearing any pants with your legs spread and have everyone come talk into your vag? 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    I had a girlfriend who threw her own shower. Being she doesn't have any family down here, she invited about 10 of her closest friends. And it turned into being kind of a pot luck type thing. We each brought some food. It ended up being very nice and subtle. We all got to sit at the same table and chat, we all put together scrapbook pages for her baby albulm, we had brunch and cupcakes. It was more of a friendly get together with a few presents. This was a couple of years ago, she is having twins around July this year and is planning on having another small intimate shower for herself. As much as I would love to offer to host it for her, financially I can't. But it allows me to take the money and put it towards presents, especially ones that will help her with her twins.

Me (32) DH (33)
    Surprise BFP 2-7-2013

• Options
    imagepeacelovegreen:
    I guess you all don't know what rude is .

This is so completely hilarious coming from someone who sees no problem with throwing their own baby shower. Omg I'm getting RLP from laughing so hard at this assertion. Sweet jeebus. 

imagepeacelovegreen:
    Also , I'm not sure why you all would think I just want people to agree w me

Because you have spent four pages arguing, making excuses, lying and trying to explain how you are an exception to the rule. That is why we believe you just wanted us to agree with you. When we didn't, well, here we are. Seriously. I'm wondering about your intelligence level.

imagepeacelovegreen:Because apparently changing your mind , or going w someone else's idea whether you had it in mind or not , is considered lying.

No no, see, I explained this already. I'll try again because you seem just bent on missing the f.ucking point. You are not a liar for changing your mind. You are acting like a liar for trying to pass off your change of mind as what you planned to do from the very beginning when it wasn't. Then you are acting like a liar because you claim it was your mom's idea when that wasn't what you said yourself before that she wanted to throw you an expensive affair and you wanted something cheap/simple for five hundred bucks. Then you get nasty, backpedal and refuse to admit any wrongdoing. That is why you are acting like a preggozilla liar. Holy friggin' hell. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    imageHinessn:

I'm going to disagree with the ladies on here. I really dont understand the big deal about throwing one yourself. (And do I really believe not a single woman on here had a hand in planning her own? No) 

DH and I are going to host our own get together for this baby. I decided it would be more of a cook-out / shower type of event. I can't stand stupid baby showers where you guess how many skittles are in the bottle and other silly games. We also have no intention of telling people where we are registered. I personally dont see the point in having a registry at all - to me thats just saying I expect other people to buy me things. The only reason I have one at all is for my own mother and in-laws to get a sense of what we like. I know my mom will buy things, I can't stop the woman haha.

As for our event, I dont expect people to bring anything if they dont want to. Nor do I want only women at the party as I dont even have a lot of female friends. However, after going through years of Infertility I don't know if I'll ever get another chance at being pregnant. So why not do it myself and celebrate having a baby? I'm not asking for money or gifts, just a coming together of our friends to celebrate us having a child.  

My daughters baby shower I had NO say in anything. I gave a guest list and EVERYTHING else was planned out by the hostess. I was told when and where to show up and she even did my hair for me that day. So believe it or not, there are those of us that don't have a hand in it. 

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    imagesfshorter:

imagepeacelovegreen:
    Wow , I didn't think I needed to add my mother is sick and not financially stable , for people to be somewhat understanding of which "pressure" I am talking about . To me this is not about balloons cake decorations and gifts . Once again , not sure how it's so easy for most people to read a paragraph and make an assumption of one person's life style to determine they are a brat . Never had anyone call me that . Actually very caring of others situations , and humble enough to know IT IS NOT ABOUT THE GIFTS . Yes , it is a Baby Shower , to shower w love not just gifts .

I think everyone on here, with the exception of a couple of people, are being catty you know whats.  Opinions are fine, but if you can't express an opinion without being a b****, then you need to go to charm school and keep your opinions to yourself.  I'm embarrassed for all of the people throwing insults at this woman.  You are the ones that need to get over yourselves.  Also, every baby shower I've been to has been for family and friends to spend time together and yes, get gifts for the BABY.  I've never been to a shower where everyone just bought gifts for the mom, and every shower I've been to, the mom had some say in the planning, many cases the dad too. 

I'm sure your shower will be great however you decide to go about it.  In most cases I think other people do plan the showers just so the mom doesn't have to worry about it, but I don't think this is some strict rule, and the gifts aren't for you, they are for your child.  It's no different than throwing your own child a birthday party, which we moms do every year to get GIFTS for our KIDS.  AGAIN, QUIT BEING UGLY AND GET OVER YOURSELVES. 

Thank you so much for understanding .  

• Options
    imageLiz4444:

How do you plan on doing this?  Are you going to lie on a table not wearing any pants with your legs spread and have everyone come talk into your vag? 

I just peed myself laughing at this. 

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    imagesfshorter:

imagepeacelovegreen:

You and OP should get a room, or a boat to Tacky, Inconsiderate and Rude Island. You belong with each other. Also, what was that about being a catty-you-know-what? Because your post reads just as catty. Putting that out there.

Again, the gifts at a shower are to help the MOM with the kid. The kid doesn't give a crap what they get. They don't know about it.  That is why the MOM is the guest of honor at a shower and not the baby. Holy crap, why are people this stupid procreating!???!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options

imagePrimRoseMama:

What, they don't have 5K, suit and tie, backyard bbq, not-gift-related baby showers in your neighbourhood, Prim? ;)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagepanicMom:
    I'm about to get eaten alive then to, I say throw your own shower if you want and as with ANY shower gifts are NOT expected but appreciated. So don't throw a traditional shower, throw a bbq coed style to celebrate the baby

Sorry but your wrong. A shower is to "shower" the MTB with gifts.
  • Options
    imagesfshorter:

Aren't you a peach.

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    ooooo!  I have an idea (and I'm totally throwing myself out here on this one because I'm young and dumb and tend to get flamed cuz I say stupid shiit BUT)

Why not just let your FI buy everything and just throw a simple bbq get together for your family.  You say you guys are huge and don't see eachother often, they are bound to coo over your belly any way so TA-DA.  Just dont mention baby or pregnant or shower any where on the invite?

would this work?

This way you have everything, you dont need any gifts and people wont even think to bring you any thing so you dont have to worry about getting what you dont like!

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If you weren't being rude before, then my post obviously excluded you.  Do I feel bad for standing up for someone and calling a b**** a b****, NO.  If you weren't being one then why are you so offended?  I read through four pages of insults thrown at this woman just because you disagree with the way she wants to plan her baby shower.  That's just no way to act, and saying so is not me being like the rest of you, its standing up for what is right.  Again, learn how to express your opinion in a more constructive way, or revert back to the old saying, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.  DON'T, however expect to always get away with treating other people like garbage.  Some people will call you out on it, and it's pretty hard to deny when there is a paper trail right in front of you.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimageimage
  • Options
    imageamarissa85:
    imageLiz4444:

I just peed myself laughing at this. 

bahaha! This made the entire thing worth reading!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Options

PeaceLoveGreen: Have you considered posting this question on the Baby Showers board?  You would probably get a different group of people answering on whether or not they think it's tacky.

They will probably say the same thing, but can't hurt to get more opinions, since that's what you're looking for?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemercyholmes:
    ooooo!  I have an idea (and I'm totally throwing myself out here on this one because I'm young and dumb and tend to get flamed cuz I say stupid shiit BUT)

Why not just let your FI buy everything and just throw a simple bbq get together for your family.  You say you guys are huge and don't see eachother often, they are bound to coo over your belly any way so TA-DA.  Just dont mention baby or pregnant or shower any where on the invite?

would this work?

This way you have everything, you dont need any gifts and people wont even think to bring you any thing so you dont have to worry about getting what you dont like!

Thank you for your reply . Even tho you don't agree w my original decision you did give me a good idea . 

• Options
    imagealexandra1818:

PeaceLoveGreen: Have you considered posting this question on the Baby Showers board?  You would probably get a different group of people answering on whether or not they think it's tacky.

They will probably say the same thing, but can't hurt to get more opinions, since that's what you're looking for?

Probaby NOT a good idea. I think she will be destroyed on the baby shower board. 

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    imagealexandra1818:

We are pretty much all already here...

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

imagesfshorter:
    If you weren't being rude before, then my post obviously excluded you.  Do I feel bad for standing up for someone and calling a b**** a b****, NO.  If you weren't being one then why are you so offended?  I read through four pages of insults thrown at this woman just because you disagree with the way she wants to plan her baby shower.  That's just no way to act, and saying so is not me being like the rest of you, its standing up for what is right.  Again, learn how to express your opinion in a more constructive way, or revert back to the old saying, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.  DON'T, however expect to always get away with treating other people like garbage.  Some people will call you out on it, and it's pretty hard to deny when there is a paper trail right in front of you.  

Thank you for being understanding . I too am wondering why it must be so hard for some people to state an opinion without belittling someone just because you don't agree w them . 

• Options
    imageamarissa85:
    imagealexandra1818:

Probaby NOT a good idea. I think she will be destroyed on the baby shower board. 

Why must you guys like to "destroy" people for having an opinion lol ?  

• Options

imagemercyholmes:

would this work?

Bingo!  Mercy wins!  This exactly.  I don't understand why people insist on calling something a shower when they come here trying to say they don't care about presents, etc.  Have a party, no one is stopping you from having a party, have one every weekend, just don't mention pregnant, baby or registry.  Not a hard concept people!

• Options
    imageLiz4444:
    imagealexandra1818:

We are pretty much all already here...

I figured.... just hoping to get more people to chime in with a "it's not a good idea" vote, since this post has become more about defending herself against perceived attacks than about listening to people trying to reason with her.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageLiz4444:

imagemercyholmes:

would this work?

Bingo!  Mercy wins!  This exactly.  I don't understand why people insist on calling something a shower when they come here trying to say they don't care about presents, etc.  Have a party, no one is stopping you from having a party, have one every weekend, just don't mention pregnant, baby or registry.  Not a hard concept people!

omg I won!  lol I never win...

this question just seems a little silly to me...she doesnt want gifts, her FI wants to buy everything, and she doesnt want blue.  she also said if you want somehting done right to do it yourself.  then go out and buy everything you want yourself then.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagePrimRoseMama:

imagechicsahm:
    Eh, who the heck cares. If you really want to then do it. If people are offended that YOU threw a shower.... then they don't need to come. It sounds like others want to (your Mom) but you don't trust them? Maybe co shower.... have your Mom as the RSVP person, put her in charge of picking stuff up and helping decorate.... but you plan. I see nothing wrong with that. People need to grow up, throw it if you want to

LOL "do what you want" (basically sounding like a hissy fit) with no regards for etiquette or your guests (buy me stuff!) and the ones telling her not to do it are the ones that need to "grow up". When I read this response all I see in bold, caps is, "if you want it nooooooow, then do it. Who cares if its rude. Its YOUR baby. YOUR party. God!" STOMP STOMP STOMP. 

Sounds like bratty, diva, preggozilla behavior. Gross.  

Lol, Sorry you feel that way... not a hissy fit, spoiled, STOMP STOMP STOMP. Lol... I feel people should be more concerned about real stuff. Things have evolved, situations are different, most people I know in real life could care less who is throwing a shower....really, I only hear fits about being "gift grabby" on TB. OP do what you want. You know your friends, family, situation etc. 

• Options
    imagechicsahm:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

imagechicsahm:
    Eh, who the heck cares. If you really want to then do it. If people are offended that YOU threw a shower.... then they don't need to come. It sounds like others want to (your Mom) but you don't trust them? Maybe co shower.... have your Mom as the RSVP person, put her in charge of picking stuff up and helping decorate.... but you plan. I see nothing wrong with that. People need to grow up, throw it if you want to

LOL "do what you want" (basically sounding like a hissy fit) with no regards for etiquette or your guests (buy me stuff!) and the ones telling her not to do it are the ones that need to "grow up". When I read this response all I see in bold, caps is, "if you want it nooooooow, then do it. Who cares if its rude. Its YOUR baby. YOUR party. God!" STOMP STOMP STOMP. 

Lol, Sorry you feel that way... not a hissy fit, spoiled, STOMP STOMP STOMP. Lol... I feel people should be more concerned about real stuff. Things have evolved, situations are different, most people I know in real life could care less who is throwing a shower....really, I only hear fits about being "gift grabby" on TB. OP do what you want. You know your friends, family, situation etc. 

I appreciate your reply . Thank you for understanding .  

• Options
    imagemercyholmes:
    imageLiz4444:

imagemercyholmes:

would this work?

omg I won!  lol I never win...

this question just seems a little silly to me...she doesnt want gifts, her FI wants to buy everything, and she doesnt want blue.  she also said if you want somehting done right to do it yourself.  then go out and buy everything you want yourself then.

I know, right, it's such an easy concept. 

• Options
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imagechicsahm:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

imagechicsahm:

Yes, because having consideration for others (etiquette) is not "real stuff."  Sorry, but there is no situation, "evolved" (whatever the fluck that means) or otherwise that makes it okay to throw yourself a party where gifts are the main purpose (a shower).  To try and explain it to suit your needs just makes you look like a moron. 

HA! Not trying to explain myself, just how I feel.... I really must be a moron then. Which must explain why I have done so well and gone so far in life.... 

• Options
    imagechicsahm:

HA! Not trying to explain myself, just how I feel.... I really must be a moron then. Which must explain why I have done so well and gone so far in life.... 

Knowledge of etiquette =/= doing well in life.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have come to a realization that by calling it a Baby Shower , that implies I "want" gifts , and that I should call it a Party to please your ears . I'm glad my family doesn't get hung up on a minor detail of who hosts . I completely understand why its viewed as tacky or gift-grabby , but if I know what my intentions are , then it really doesn't matter how any of you feel about me . All I wanted was opinions , not to go on for 3hrs , because I definitely don't feel the need to "defend" myself to any of you , that's just tacky , and you all must feel like an entitled special snowflake to repeatedly bash me w your negative comments . Go reply to someone else now . Thank you all .
  • Options
    imagepeacelovegreen:

I've always wanted to plan my own shower . I am now 22 weeks and am anxious to start planning . This is my first , Hubby's second . He had a bad first experience and keeps saying he's just going to buy everything on the registry . My mother wants to host . She has wonderful intentions but she worries too much and swears she needs to spend $5000 !! To me that's ridiculous ! I feel I can have a celebration w $500 . Also , I feel I am a great planner and I like having things my way (: . The idea of being "surprised" is nice , but not when I know there's a surprise , I hate that . As the saying goes , if you want something done right , do it yourself ! Any opinions ? I would love an open discussion ! Thanks !

BTW : I'm having a boy , and I don't want the traditional blues , I prefer yellow and orange .  

heads up, this doesn't go over well on bump. poor etiquette, blah blah blah. though I'm sure someone's already said it LOL
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"