Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Nightly scream-a-thon

James is a month tomorrow.  He's a sweet little angel baby all day long, and then right around dinner time, he turns into a demon... screaming, crying, totally inconsolable, nothing helps.  No matter how many times I nurse him or how much rocking, swaddling, shushing, swaying, etc... he is just a very unhappy camper.

The doc put him on zantac, thinking it was acid reflux, and it seems to work right away, but then does no good over the long haul of the evening. I've tried Colic calm, and same deal -- he is instantly calm and then freaks out again 45 minutes later.  i"ve tried gas drops and other gripe water.  We sing to him, bicycle his legs, rub his tummy...

I am just so sad that he's so upset, and I'm losing my friggin' mind with the maddening sounds of his crying / screaming.

Any tips?  Or perhaps just empathy/ commiseration?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Nightly scream-a-thon

• Options
    Me second was like that. Every evening was horrible, hours of screaming every.single.night. We tried all sorts of remedies as well and nothing really worked. Swaddling provided short bouts of relief. I wish I had better advice to give, but just know that it does get better. Once the colic passed she became the sweetest, happiest little girl. Hang in there!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options
    We have exactly the same problem and we also have our lo on reflux meds they seem yo help but are warn off by the time the evening hits. The only thing we can do to keep the screaming at bay is swaddle and stick her in the ergo carrier and lots of short feedings cause that's the only time she is not screaming
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Might sound far fetched but we went thru this last week, emergency trip to the doc etc, she to moved to sensitive Formula etc, couldn't explain the excessive screaming. Anywho after inspecting more carefully, she had an awful hidden diaper rash, makes sense why she just screamed and screamed, we have fixed that and haven't had issues since- again far fetched but something in keep in mind. It never crossed mine. Hang In there momma
  • Options
    My LO has the same episode every night as well. My husband and I can't seem to figure out why he is crying. He will cry for 1015 mins I will get him to calm down for about 10 minutes and then he starts all over again :/ tonight we took him for a 20 mile car ride to calm him down and put him to sleep. It worked! Then we got home and he woke up. Ugh! I feel your frustration.. We just have to be strong and know there is a light at the end of the tunnel and things will get better. I will also take any advice anyone has
  • Options
    I just picked up some Colic Calm last night. If you said it works for about 45 minutes, the directions on the box says you can repeat the dose every 30 minutes for up to 3 doses. Maybe your LO just needs a little extra of the stuff to stay calm?

• Options
    Google "The period of purple crying" it really helped me deal with this. It's totally normal. My LO goes through this between 11:30 and 2:30 at night. It's tough. There was a post a couple days ago about this that had a great article on it. I'll try to find it and post a link. Just do whatever you can to sooth the baby. Even if you don't feel like its working the important part is that you are letting LO know you are there for them. If you need to set baby down for 5 min or so to allow yourself to calm down or just to go pee or get a drink its okay. It does get better. No one really tells you how rough the first few months are. Hang in there!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Welcome to the witching hours. They are horrible. I was crying nightly with my LO for 2 weeks straight. Make sure you have some sort of bedtime routine. Bath, story anything and put your LO in a quiet dark room. Sounds as if LO is overtired and overstimulated. I had to put my LO in her crib in the dark and walk away for 5 min. I couldn't take it anymore. She put herself to sleep!!! I don't intend for you to just walk away like I did, rock him softly and hold him tight to your chest. That seems to help (like swaddling with your body).
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Perhaps he's feeling overstimulated from the day? Have you tried having him in a dark room, maybe with just white noise? Then try swaddling him and rocking/swinging him in the dark room. Are you using a pacifier? It works wonders for my DD.
  • Options
    Ditto the witching hours/purple crying. It's awful. We dealt with it with DS1. He would just scream for like 2.5 straight hours every.single.night. It's totally normal (for better or worse). 
  • Options
    My LO started this about a week ago. For him, it seems to be bad gas. I spent an hour last night with him laying in front of me, basically doing a reverse crunch for him (rocking his knees towards his chest) and rubbing his belly. He was calm as long as I was doing that and after a few farts, he went to sleep without a fuss on my shoulder.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Thanks everybody... here's hoping for a better night tonight...

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My LO did this, 36 weeks were the worst. We started getting her through her bedtime earlier which helped alt. plus she just seems to cry and fuss alot less now. I'm not really sure if we have gotten better at handling it or if dd is just happier.

• Options

imagelifewrite:
    Google "The period of purple crying" it really helped me deal with this. It's totally normal. My LO goes through this between 11:30 and 2:30 at night. It's tough. There was a post a couple days ago about this that had a great article on it. I'll try to find it and post a link. Just do whatever you can to sooth the baby. Even if you don't feel like its working the important part is that you are letting LO know you are there for them. If you need to set baby down for 5 min or so to allow yourself to calm down or just to go pee or get a drink its okay. It does get better. No one really tells you how rough the first few months are. Hang in there!

This. Totally normal and this too shall pass!!

TTC since August 2011
    BFP #1 - 1/16/2012, EDD 9/12/2012, m/c 1/27/2012, D&C 2/3/12
    BFP #2 - 6/20/2012, Saw HB on 7/6/2012 at 6w0d ~ EDD 3/1/2013 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Could he be overtired?  When I started putting our LO down for regular naps, soothing her to sleep once she's been awake for about an hour, she became much more pleasant and cried less in general.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"