High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Fat comment from residents...longish vent

Am 16 weeks pregnant, on heparin and aspirin for thrombophilia mutation, first baby preemie due to massive abruption born at 30w 5d am a little paranoid this pregnancy. So, Been having watery discharge for three days, it got heavier today so I called doc who said to go to Emergency and get an internal. So I go to the local hospital and its deathly quiet in the Labor rooms. Senior resident comes down to check me (she is so not happy and was not exactly gentle), but thankfully cervix closed, observed no leakage. Sent me home with a prescription for possible infection (I have been travelling a bit and its horribly hot!). Junior residents want to check baby heartbeat with fetal Doppler (16 weeks), they told me that it might be too early to pick it up on an ancient looking Doppler. Sure enough, they don't hear a thing. At this point, I'm just obliging them! Then one says to me "Maybe if you were thinner we would have picked up the heart beat". Seriously? You are like 25 and skinny and hell and I am 34 and pregnant and yes am slightly overweight, and am just about calming down after being stressed. Almost whacked her skinny arse with my handbag.

Re: Fat comment from residents...longish vent

• Options
    Wow. That is rude!

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    Report that person. Seriously. 1: your in your second tri, you can hear the heartbeat with an iPhone app you should be able to hear it with a Doppler. 2: her comment was biased, unprofessional, and flat out rude. 3: If she couldn't find a heartbeat at 16 weeks with a Doppler she should have done an ultrasound.
    Report her azz and call your ob and tell him how you were treated.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not too worried about the Doppler. Do have some belly fat (carry all weight on belly) and an anterior placenta. Plus they tried to find it for like 5 mins before they gave up. Will go in to see my regular doc on Mon who is a pro. Just feel like women get so judgy about pregnant women and feel like they can comment on weight gain anytime they want.
  • Options

imagecrogers19:
    Report that person. Seriously. 1: your in your second tri, you can hear the heartbeat with an iPhone app you should be able to hear it with a Doppler. 2: her comment was biased, unprofessional, and flat out rude. 3: If she couldn't find a heartbeat at 16 weeks with a Doppler she should have done an ultrasound. Report her azz and call your ob and tell him how you were treated.

I agree!  If she couldn't find HB, should have done U/S. Maybe it was her poor technique rather than blaming it on the patient!

TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am 38 weeks pregnant today and 236 lbs on a 5'7, large frame.

No one at ANY office I have been to has said "well, if you were thinner..." or anything of the sort. The WIC dietitian did tell me I was starting to gain weight too fast in my 2nd trimester (was 16 lbs over the limit or something), so I slowed my calorie, sugar and carb intake (found out I have GD and hypertension) and now I'm only ONE lb over the limit with a 19 pound gain TOTAL for my entire pregnancy.  

• Options

Am 5 ft 7 in and currently weight 152lbs. So not horribly overweight!  But I chalk it up to her trying to stupidly console me that no hb was found. I do believe they were inexperienced residents. When they took my history, they did not know what the clotting conditions were! Lol. Had to say MTHFR A129c three times before she noted it down properly. Never going back to that hospital again as far as I can help it.

Glad the senior resident knew how to do an internal and that's that. Pity pregnant women in this country who cant afford access to better doctors and facilities. I live in Mumbai, India.

• Options
    You should have whacked her area! And then said "oops maybe if you were a little wider, I would have seen you there!"
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would report her to Patien Relations at the hospital. It is unacceptable on every level to say such a thing to a client/patient. Let the hospital take it from there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would report that rude and unprofessional behavior immediately! I'm sorry you had to go through this when you're already stressed about the baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"