September 2011 Moms
Options

Eating with a spoon

I have seen how many of your LOs have learned how to use the spoon and sometimes depresses me because... I'm so tired of trying to teach Matt!!! He has an idea of what is for because he puts sometimes grab it and put the right part in his mouth but to scoop the food and put it in his mouth is another story. He knows how to eat with his hand perfectly, he picks up with his thumb and index fingers, he bites if a piece is too big but use a spoon... God forbids! When he has something to eat that needs a spoon I try to let him but he grabs it and play with it and try to eat it with his hands so eventually I end up giving him the food. Any ideas? I know that the only solution is to just "keep trying and wait" method but I'm hoping.

Re: Eating with a spoon

• Options

Definitely just keep trying.  I let him hold it, then put my hand over his, bend to scoop up the food, and guide the spoon into his mouth.  That way, he knows what it should "feel" like.

He can be successful, or he can flip the spoon upside down and spill it all over himself - it's hit or miss :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Just keep trying :) Some kids take longer to figure it out than others, and that's okay. I always start with thick foods - greek yogurt, oatmeal, applesauce thickened with lots of baby cereal. It's messy and takes time, but he'll get it eventually!
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'll keep trying. At least he knows that is supose to go in the mouth like the brush is for hair hehe. Believe me, you'll know when he gets it :P

• Options

Does he use a fork? Spoons are really hard, so DD mastered the fork way before the spoon.

Also, what kind of spoon are you using? My favorite are metal ones, rather than plastic. The plastic ones are thicker and much harder to use IMO.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imageMsCrispy:
    Does he use a fork? Spoons are really hard, so DD mastered the fork way before the spoon.Also, what kind of spoon are you using? My favorite are metal ones, rather than plastic. The plastic ones are thicker and much harder to use IMO.
    No we haven't tried a fork. I think I could try it. We use plastic spoons. He likes to hit with them sometimes or just wave it around if he gets too excited... so they are safer for Mommy and Daddy :P

• Options
    We must be way behind in our house.  We're just getting started with her and forks/spoons.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageTulips114:
    We must be way behind in our house.  We're just getting started with her and forks/spoons.

Not behind IMO! Max still prefers to eat with his hands. I tried with utensils with no luck a few months ago. I decided to wait until he showed interest. Now he has started trying to eat with a fork. He gets maybe 1-3 bites but I think that is progress. Now spoons? Ha! He gets the concept but would rather just make a huge mess. 

• Options
    Carter has gotten a spoon/fork at every meal for AT LEAST 6 months now. He still doesn't use either one. He will eat off of his fork, but only if I poke the food on it for him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemissbrightside10:

imageTulips114:

Not behind IMO! Max still prefers to eat with his hands. I tried with utensils with no luck a few months ago. I decided to wait until he showed interest. Now he has started trying to eat with a fork. He gets maybe 1-3 bites but I think that is progress. Now spoons? Ha! He gets the concept but would rather just make a huge mess. 

whew.  Same for us.  We tried a while back with no luck and just started trying again this week actually.  She's doing better this time with the fork! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"