Natural Birth
Options

Water Birth

I am looking forward to a water birth. However my OB prefers water labor and birth outside the tub. Her reasoning is, as a FTM, I have a greater chance of tearing and in the tub she can't prevent that. Also, there is no monitoring so there is no way of knowing fetal distress. While she is open to a tub birth on the second birth; she isn't on the first.

I did find this odd. Anyone have an issue with a water birth, ie fetal distress, etc?

Re: Water Birth

• Options
    I had a waterbirth for my first vaginal birth with no tearing whatsoever. I was told that the warm water helps to prevent tearing. I was monitored by doppler.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LEMSALEMSA member
    She said you can provide counter pressure to the perineum to try and prevent tearing. Maybe if it feels good to be in the water ill sneak in a few pushes till it's too late to move.

Oops! I didn't know I was pushing. My bad. Haha
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageLEMSA:
    She said you can provide counter pressure to the perineum to try and prevent tearing.

While the
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't plan on a water birth but ended up pushing my son out in the water only about a half hour after getting in. My MW was able to listen to his heartbeat intermittently with a waterproof Doppler and we had no issues with fetal distress. Pushing in

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"