Potty Training

Scared to try the "3 day method"

My daughter is 2yr 1mo. We've been potty training for a few months. She's gone a few times when we put her on but  she does not want to go on the potty. she will do her best to hold it. (both #1 & #2) then 10min later she'll go in her diaper. I really want her mostly trained b4 the next baby gets here. This 3 day method sounds like it works but I don't really like the idea of letting her run around naked. IDN! Help! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Scared to try the "3 day method"

• I just did this with my DS, 32 months, this weekend, and it went really well. I think you have to just try it and evaluate on the third day if it is working for your family right now. It helps if you can hang out in a room without carpet. Good luck
  • You can do it!  It worked wonderfully for us.  It took almost 5 days for it to really click, but we saw progress after 1 day.  The prospect of tagging along behind her for 3 days sounded daunting, but it wasn't that bad.  We started over a weekend so that the first two days we were both around.

We made a huge deal out of it when she went on the potty.  Singing, dancing, high fives, excitedly telling the other spouse if they weren't in the room, special treat (chocolate chips).  She loved the singing/dancing more than the treat.

Good Luck!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I tried at 25 months when I know she was physically ready (staying dry for longer periods of time and for all naps and most nights). Big fail, she does not like to be told what to do. I gave up after 1.5 days because she was not only holding her pee but also her poop and by the time we quit she hadn't pooped for 4 days...I backed off completely and started giving her lots of naked time without any mention of the potty. She would usually hold until diaper time which was fine. Se had a couple of small accidents but that was it.  1 month later while we were on vacation she started using the potty on her own literally from one day to the next with very few accidents after that. Two weeks later she was out of nighttime dippers as well (her request) and has had very few night time accidents. She refused to pee on the potty until the day she PT and then did both pee and poop. 

She turned 2 in May last year so we spent lots of time outside which was perfect for naked time. Don't know where you are at but maybe that's a thought? Holding off for a couple of months until you can spend a lot of time outside?

i know this method worked for a lot of people it just wasn't for us. I would say give it a try and if it works great, if not, try again with either the same method or something different.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • skioskio member
    You can only try. It works for some, not for others. If it's not working out, you can always try again a couple months later.

FWIW, there's another version of the three day method that doesn't require having kiddo naked all the time; I believe it's Lora Jenson's method. It relies more on praise than anything, and that resonates with me more than the "kids want to be naked" thing.

DD turned 2 a couple weeks ago and was ready. She was hardly ever pooping in her diaper anymore; she almost always wanted to do that on the potty. And she would constantly follow either me or my H into the bathroom when we had to go and demand a "turn."

We did our own version of a 3 day method, changed it up as we felt necessary for our kid. We put her in undies on day one and we had a big party and "potty prizes" for EVERY time she did anything on the potty. She went from six pee accidents day one, three on day two, one on day three. And she even held onto the whole idea after coming down with a cold on day two.

We're on day 6 and have had two accident free days and several trips out of the house with no accidents. She's still a tad resistant and doesn't run to the bathroom on her own, but she does hold it for 1 to 2 hours and tells us when it's time. If she resists going when she obviously has to, I tell her we can share a treat while she sits on the potty and she almost always happily agrees; then we share a starburst or a tootsie roll or something. She's in pull ups for naps and night, which we call "sleep undies", but once she is over her cold and has a few days of dry diapers after nap, we'll ditch the nap pull up so that she's only in them overnight. She's had a dry pull up probably half of the time after nap so far.

Good luck, and don't be scared! Half the battle is confidence and perserverance. Day one is the pits, but I was amazed at the progress on day two.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • It didn't work for us. She potty trained herself when she was ready. It was crazy! We pushed her for so long, then one day, once we quit pushing, she trained herself and has had no accidents.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The 3 day method we used didn't have him naked, instead he was in a shirt and underwear. Went through a ton of underwear those first few days but by the end of day 3 it had clicked.

Looking back I wish we had potty trained him before 2 arrived since you have to give them so much attention but hindsight is 20/20 and it ended up working out. Now just to get him to poop in the potty. :/

Gl!
  • From what I read the 3 day method actually takes 3 days for them to "get it" and then you have to go diaperless for 3 more months for it sink in! In my opinion there's no fast track to diaper training.

We are used to DD going diaperless because we let her run around naked between diaper changes because if we don't she gets bad rashes. We started training a few days ago and we let her run around naked like it says to do in the 3 day method, but we don't feed her water and snacks all day to make her go. We also let her wear her diaper to eat in her high chair, take naps, and sleep at night. We do training pants if we take her to the store or on walks and we bring along her travel seat. She actually does better in the store than at home! 

We have potty books and, a video, a doll, and a sticker chart so those are helping. We are just trying not to stress it. They pick up on the stress and if you act like its not a big deal then tare less scared. If DD has an accident we remind her to tell us when she needs to go and then when she does go we praise her a lot. She did hold her #2 for the first day because all the focus on the potty was stressing her, so we backed off a bit. Now she doesn't want to wear her diaper at all and only wants to wear panties. And we are on day 3 and she's only had like 3 accidents.

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"